I suck less than I did @ fence building

USNRET

Back when I was full of vinegar and liked to butt heads with trees I set posts and rails for 150' of privacy fence. After I had posts cemented and had nailed about 40' of pickets my next door neighbor came over and went thru his rehearsed spiel about property lines. Ya see, the smart *** waited about a week until I had a lot of the work done before he came over with his revelation. After setting him up so that he could continue with his intellectual orgasm I asked him if he knew his chain link fence ran slightly diagonally down his property line on my side of his house. He wanted to discuss that further so I went inside and got a plat. After he figured out that he didn't know what he was talking about he left.

Since I had bought plenty material I added another 20' feet down our adjoining property line which phucked up the corridor that he thought he had left setting his fence off his property line. I moved 12 years later and left the fence where it stood.

His BS added the little extra energy I needed to get the job done.

Keith

NICE.....

Before my fence went up I got my property surveyed..... my fence is custom built 8' high..... I didn't want to see this a$$ hole again.....and I haven't.....

MKP :-)

Did you get the city permit for the fence? Sometimes they no likey.

JJK

No, I live out side of city limits....no permit needed for a fence in our county....

But when I built my deck...oh yea....

MKP :-)

We had a survey done this past Fall... $1,100. That got us certified copies of the work. We didn'thave one done when we bought the house two years ago.

Most of the owners were original to the neighborhood, early '60s. Had a limb come off a huge oak, ripped power off neighbors house. Other neighbor cut it up, I paid someone yo haul it off cause he says the two tree are on my property.

Survey says... NOPE, they are his trees. Thing is, they need to come down but he won't do it.

Bruce

Keith, my neighbor decided I needed a new survey so I did; it fell exactly where the existing stakes were. I laid off 6" from the line to his favor. Next time his bride comes over banging on the door at midnight asking for help.............

Around 1980 after having paid for 3 surveys on the same property I decided I would never pay for another survey there again. I had several gutter form stakes so at all the survey stakes I used post hole diggers to dig a hole about 12" deep over every stake. Drove a gutter form stake in the center leaving about 1/2" above ground level then filled with concrete. One at all corners and one perpendicular to property lines at rear corners of house.

For entertainment value, and something you can visualize while sweating setting fence posts, my brilliant neighbors wife was needy. She came over frequently needing to borrow me from my wife. One day she needed help hanging curtain rods. I go over and she has a 6' ladder and tools to hang the rods. She was wearing a big sports jersey and as I was holding the ladder for her the jersey hung loosely over my head giving a pretty nice view of her deliciously plentiful breasts. At one point she asked "how does that look", to which I answered "nice'. Really nice".

Keith

• Like 1

Good luck with the fence.  Too bad you don't have a helper.

I was just looking at my fences today.  It's getting about time to replace.  I'm going 8' this time (from 6').  The neighbor behind me recently replaced his back porch light with a double-lamp LED super bight flood light that spills over into my yard and into my house.  It's like an aircraft landing light shinning into my bedroom window.  Sometimes it's on all night.  

Of course his light violates the city ordinance for spill over light, but I figure the 8' fence is the best cure.  A city permit required since I am changing the fence height.  

I'm considering a contractor this time.  I've never hired anyone before to put up a fence, but this time I am considering a 2' stone fence with a 6' cedar fence on top.

Buy some Leland Cypress and set them at about 6' centers. Buy plants 36" or less (5 gal.?) and plant in spring and keep them watered for the first year or two. Mine are 20 years old and 30 feet tall. They make a nice green screen.

post-3284-0-09520000-1451880826_thumb.jp

• Like 2

How deep are you going.

I put up about 110 ft of privacy fence at my sons house.  I'd dig about 3 holes every time I went over as I had a ton of time to do it and didn't feel like spending every weekend over there.  It took a while but it's up now and looks good.  I screwed the 2x4's to the posts as nails work out over time.  I also used stainless nails on the pickets so they wouldn't rust and stain the cedar.

Carl, I ended up only needing to do about 300' as two of the neighbors built one. I bored 12' diameter holes about 30" deep. Got most done with a power auger but due to some root issues I will finish 4 by hand once the offending roots are eliminated. I will use 2 1/2" coated deck screws on the pressure treat pickets down the long run and for the front runs of 22 and 33 feet I will do cedar to match the garbage can enclosure I did last year. Haven't decided on the fasteners for the cedar pickets; stainless screws would be $100.

Haven't decided on the fasteners for the cedar pickets; stainless screws would be $100.

Let me know.  I bought a new Bostich picket nailer when I built my fence.  Currently my brother has it up in Tyler.  If he's done before you need it, I can have him send it to you instead of back to me.

One time I surrounded my entire yard with those rounded 4x4 landscape timbers that were supposedly treated and ok for ground contact.  I don't know what they do to those to call them treated but its not the same.  Within a year I had posts rotting out, and in two years probably 2/3 of them were so rotten that many simply fell over.  That was 10 years ago and I have since sold the house, helped the new owners mow their yard a few months ago and noticed the entire fence had collapsed.  This was 1.5 acres worth of fencing.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I found that ordinary redwood posts holds up great in Ohio when you employ direct burial, maybe 5 times longer then pressure treated wood. Cedar gets waterlogged in shady areas and slowly rots away and bugs eat it. Redwood is also bug resistant. The best coating is Creosote which is not required on redwood. How do I know? By pole barns, fences,  and decks constructed and repaired  by me starting over 40 years ago.

JJK

Edited by JJKIZAK

I found that ordinary redwood posts holds up great in Ohio when you employ direct burial, maybe 5 times longer then pressure treated wood. Cedar gets waterlogged in shady areas and slowly rots away and bugs eat it. Redwood is also bug resistant. The best coating is Creosote which is not required on redwood. How do I know? By pole barns, fences,  and decks constructed and repaired  by me starting over 40 years ago.

JJK

We had a redwood picnic table which was moved from Seattle to DFW.  It sat outside on the patio and the weather in Texas destroyed it.  No wood lasts too long here.  The clay soil will rot it in the ground and the sun will do the rest.  It's truly phenomenal.

JJK

We had a redwood picnic table which was moved from Seattle to DFW.  It sat outside on the patio and the weather in Texas destroyed it.  No wood lasts too long here.  The clay soil will rot it in the ground and the sun will do the rest.  It's truly phenomenal.

Texas must have some real bad *** dirt.

JJK