Looking for Large Speaker Shipping Advice

Wolfbane

I'd like to purchase a pair of Klipsch Belles in better cosmetic condition than my current Oiled Oak Belles and with a different wood finish.

It took me quite some time to find my current pair which came from 600 miles west of me. I've seen at least three pairs for sale in the Garage Sale Forum here since last August that I would have purchased had they been available closer than Texas and California. Perhaps its time to look at shipping a pair of Belles I find on the forum here.

Any recommendations on shippers that can professionally pack speakers, palletize them and get them to Canada safely?

I saw what UPS did to a forum members Walnut Cornwalls a few months back and that disqualifies them in my mind. Forever.

I found this place online: http://www.teamww.com/services/air_express_international.php

But I know nothing about them.

One way to get it less expensive is for the seller to take the speakers to a freight forwarder for palatizing, and then the buyer picks them up from their freight forwarder. When I received my DTS-10s it was $200 to ship from Arizona to NorCal...if I wanted it delivered to my door (10 miles from FF) it was $200 more, and that was without a lift gate. I believe U-Ship is another one that is inexpensive, The use whoever happens to be going on a trip to your destination. I had some speakers arrive in a private Motorhome.

I always say if you want it done right do it yourself.

Hop in your vehicle and go for a road trip.

Honestly, I was going to say that too, but thought I'd wait to see what else came in....The costs involved in (proper) packing, (proper) loading, (proper) transport for speakers that size, not to mention whatever issues there are in getting them across the border, not to mention the risk involved is, as you know, significant....Why not take 3 or 4 days off, take a nice drive, stay in a hotel, etc, etc.  Surely with gas prices lower that they have been in a while, the comparative dollars has got to be lower, even considering your expenses.   With two people driving, you can easily knock out 750-1000 miles in a day.  My advice is patience.....look for the right ones, at the right price, and pounce.  Hope you get em!

• Like 1

Having a hobby you can listen too is only half the fun.

After shopping for McMs for the better part of two years, and no real deal turning up, i expanded my search area.

Finely, a deal, in >St Louis Mo, im in Ca.

The wife and i took a week or so, 5300 miles by the time it was over.

Cannot put a price on that, the experience, the road trip, met up with some members, shuttled a few goodies 

back and forth.

The wife is game to do it again, anytime, anywhere.

post-57941-0-53720000-1451962362_thumb.j

• Like 5

I was so desperate that I rented a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

That had to be quite a dramatic departure from your normal Ford Windstar Minivan ride.....I'm very sorry.

You mean the one I borrowed from you?    I thought it was a toaster with wheels and I had to kick the hamsters out.

Edited by oldtimer

I was so desperate that I rented a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

That had to be quite a dramatic departure from your normal Ford Windstar Minivan ride.....I'm very sorry.

You mean the one I borrowed from you? I thought it was a toaster with wheels and I had to kick the hamsters out.

Dammit! I've been looking for those hamsters…I had them microchipped, hopefully no one put them in a microwave

Wolfbane - I've looked into this quite a bit recently, and am comfortable I've got it figured out.

First though, my speakers are going from Phoenix to East TX , about 1300 miles.

I have NO idea how Canada may change things.

My load is about the same weight and size as yours.

Too heavy for Greyhound, which is a contender under 100 lbs.

Details in this post-- read it carefully, lots of specifics in it.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/155778-forwardair-pricing-info/

I also contacted Roadrunner. Door to door, residential both ends, liftgate both ends - $450.

Lastly, UShip- Approx $275 door to door. They blanket wrap, no pallet required.

Only thing with these guys - you need to spend some due diligence scrutinizing your particular service provider.

For personal reasons, I have not shipped yet.

The guys suggesting the road trip have a real point that everything is then is more in your control.

And, of course, a huge plus- you can see exactly what you're getting.  Lars

Don't remember the shipping company.  But Carl put some large speakers on a pallet and shipped them from Texas to Oregon.

Well wrapped and strapped.  Delivered to local merchant who has a fork lift.  No problems.

Edited by Taz

Wolfbane - I've looked into this quite a bit recently, and am comfortable I've got it figured out.

I also contacted Roadrunner. Door to door, residential both ends, liftgate both ends - $450.

Only thing with these guys - you need to spend some due diligence scrutinizing your particular service provider.

The guys suggesting the road trip have a real point that everything is then is more in your control.

Thanks Karsoncookie for the very informative link.

My alternative to buying a distance pair of Belles is to find someone with veneering expertise and having him re-veneer my existing Belles. 

Perhaps you could update us here on how things worked out after you ship your speakers.

Wb

I always say if you want it done right do it yourself.

Hop in your vehicle and go for a road trip.

Honestly, I was going to say that too, but thought I'd wait to see what else came in....The costs involved in (proper) packing, (proper) loading, (proper) transport for speakers that size, not to mention whatever issues there are in getting them across the border, not to mention the risk involved is, as you know, significant....Why not take 3 or 4 days off, take a nice drive, stay in a hotel, etc, etc.  Surely with gas prices lower that they have been in a while, the comparative dollars has got to be lower, even considering your expenses.   With two people driving, you can easily knock out 750-1000 miles in a day.  My advice is patience.....look for the right ones, at the right price, and pounce.  Hope you get em!

I purchased a Fisher 400 Receiver a few years back in Phoenix that needed to be recapped before being put into service. I found a small firm that used poured foam in place then packed it for shipment north via USPS. That worked out well.

They also did a pretty brisk business of palletizing and shipping large speakers to buyers in Japan and China.

Don't remember the shipping company.  But Carl put some large speakers on a pallet and shipped them from Texas to Oregon.

Well wrapped and strapped.  Delivered to local merchant who has a fork lift.  No problems.

I think it was Creighters and Freighters.  They hook you up with a local shipper to drop your palletized items off at. 

• Like 1

I shipped a pair of KP450's to Roger (twistedcrankcammer) from Albuquerque to Ohio. I shrank wrapped / banded / palletized at a customers warehouse. He arranged a LTL common carrier (forgot who) to pick them up and iirc, it was a very reasonable rate. Belle's would have been much easier.

post-51278-0-31080000-1452022739_thumb.j

wolfbane- I am not yet shipping my speakers only due to financial constraints- No free cash---  bottom line-

Lets start over - Am I understanding --- You own and hold a pair - but you would like a re veneer??

If so- with research digging and due diligence- you can find somebody relatively locally and that would be wayyyy better and cheaper than buying and selling a different set.

You need to take your time and research somebody near you (driving distance)  that is an at heart a artist at veneer,

Best bang for your buck,  all said and done I think.   Lars

Thanks Karsoncookie for the very informative link.

My alternative to buying a distance pair of Belles is to find someone with veneering expertise and having him re-veneer my existing Belles. 

Perhaps you could update us here on how things worked out after you ship your speakers.

Wb

to professionally re veneer.

OK and further - FIRST-- find the veneer artist - THEN- you can do ANYTHING- - something like the Persian nut in recent postings, or ANYTHING  more "normal"

So, ------ if your existing pair is sonically and technically good,----- just refinish----- is my point.  

Way cheaper and more importantly, way less headache than buying and re selling, --- if you think it through..   Lars