A K-402-Based Full-Range Multiple-Entry Horn

Chris A

I also lost my father a couple of weeks ago after a debilitating illness, so there are now many things to do as a result.

Chris,

Just stumbled upon this. Very sorry to hear of the loss of your Father. No words... just prayers for him, you and your family.

Thanks guys.

For those that get their lives cut short or otherwise made miserable...condolences are more apropos.  I hope that I get to live as good and long of a life as he did.  No need for condolences.  Life happens and it's over before we know it.

I just was trying to explain the hiatus in proceeding with the K-402 multiple entry horn design into something that more people can enjoy.  I expect this design to be useful to more than just me.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2016 at 1:35 PM, Chris A said:

Hopefully some of that knowledge can also be spread about to turn into loudspeakers whose home hi-fi performance you currently can't buy.

A pair of SH--50's in any color, RAW, stained, or clear finish is roughly the same price as a pair of Jubilees AND comes with a passive Xover built in.

• 2 months later...

I found a Blu-Ray movie that really shows off the center channel, and there's a huge difference between the tri-amped JuBelle and the K-402-MEH.  Whoever mastered this soundtrack put a great deal of it in the center channel.  I'd hazard a guess that more than 99% of the HT setups out there really can't handle this very well because of the load placed on the center channel.

I actually like watching this now: the lyrics also come through like crystal:

91vTxNSymML._SL1500_.jpg

Chris

• Like 2

Thanks for the tip. I have that in DVD, which, I'm sure is close enough. Greatest improvment in Blue Ray technology is Picture Resolution and scratch resistance. I fail to hear much difference in the sound between DVD and BR soundtracks. That being said, I will acquire the BR version to see if I can repeat my results from several years ago to keep my statement true..............or not.

I agree with your assessment of the audio comparing DVD-to-Blu-Ray.  Usually the bit depth and sample rate are the same (24/48). 

The only difference might be the codec between the two formats--which is typically lossless on BD (Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD-Master Audio).  This is usually not a significant difference, IMHE.

Chris

22 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I agree with your assessment of the audio comparing DVD-to-Blu-Ray.  Usually the bit depth and sample rate are the same (24/48). 

The only difference might be the codec between the two formats--which is typically lossless on BD (Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD-Master Audio).  This is usually not a significant difference, IMHE.

Chris

I was an early adopter of digital photography technology over 20 years ago, when 6 Professional Megapixels was $30,000 (I paid it) instead of free in all cell phones today. This compressed vs. uncompressed data thing is like Jepeg vs. Tiff argument. In the year 2000, I got a 44" Epson printer. When I very large prints from a high quality JPG file vs. a lossless TIFF file of the same raw image processed out to both format, the two were indistinguishable visually at any distance. This resulted in a huge space savings, storage wise, for over a million photographs done digitally.

Data compander systems are your friend when it's done right and the resolution and depth go beyond human detection resolution abilities.

I strongly suspect the same is true for compressed vs. uncompressed audio when the source is the identical sample rate equivalent to Megapixels. Thanks for the feedback, Chris.

IMG_5862.JPG

Just finishing up my K402 MEH.  Final sanding, primer and paint left, this is hands down the best center channel I have ever heard.  Worth building for sure.  I must say I was surprised by the clean solid bass this thing outputs. Turned out better than I had hoped.. I guess it's time to pretty up the room.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

Chris, I just saw the bad news. 

My deepest sympathy for you and your family.

-Tom

Thanks for your kind words Tom.  He's the the better part of the inspiration for the type of crazy thinking that you see in this thread.  In that way--he still lives. 

Chris

26 minutes ago, Cantilope said:

Yes, he helped me a ton.  It was much easier to get the holes right than I had initially thought.

Looks like a winner to me. Nice work.

With my 6 original Danley designed SPL-TD1's at the moment, all channels look/sound similar to yours. With a 7 foot ceiling currently, I prefer a 60x40 degree pattern vs. the 90x60 pattern of the K-402, which I have in storage at the moment. With floor reflection reinforcement and twin 15" woofers, I'm sure you are blown away by how much bass you can get from a "midrange/tweeter" horn!! LOL.

Down the road apiece, I will have the guts to do what you just did to my K402's but I"m happy for now. Welcome to the USA Horn Club (Unity Summation Aperture Horn Club).

• Like 1