Scumbag Move - Please read

tigerwoodKhorns

So I find a set of Klipsch Synergy surround speakers a sub-woofer on Craigslist.  After I get a hold of him, he says that he has some "bad news" and that the subwoofer is needed for his system so he cannot include it.  He substitutes a crappy Mirage 8" woofer.  I complete the deal as I needed to get something for my mother and I am on my way. 

I am on Craigslist about 2 weeks later and find that he has the sub woofer for sale.  He just decided that he did not want to include it. 

Here is the ad:

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/ele/5398596864.html

If it means anything, he was a car salesman, so his ability to lie and not feel any guilt is probably highly developed.

Please feel free to spam him all you want while you think of my poor mother with a lack of bass. 

What a scumbag move. 

I would call him to see if he would be willing to trade it for a Mirage 8" subwoofer... :D

Next time, if someone says something like that I would look up the market value of the item and subtract it from your offering price. Or did he say that only when you arrived? That would be a truly scumbag move.

There is a flipper in UT that is like this. He takes speakers below market on KSL (Out local listings) and re-lists them on Craigslist for more. He even poached the original photo a few times. The funny thing is I dont think he actually sells anything as his listing just sit there for months.

Edited by twk123

Tiger,

I felt obligated to stick it in his chute, so I sent him this email

I am extremely interested in the sub you have for sale. Can I listen to it 1st and then decide? You do realize you don’t have the price high enough, it should go for at least $150 more. As I believe in Karma, I would be willing to pay you an extra $75, Karma can really bite if you mess with it. Let me know please

TY

Mark

So he "Gave you the bad news" at your first contact? right?

At that time YOU had the choice as to weather to proceed or not.

Sounds like you are just bummed he changed his mind before the advertised sale.

You could have cut the deal off right there.

I should also add, to date the wife and i have NEVER, not once had a bad CL deal and we have driven as far as Eugene Oregon on a CL deal one time.

When i want something bad enough i lock them into the deal by offering them a down payment through Paypal, then of course i also have their adress.

there are some dam good deals to be had out there, i see those klipsch subs all over the Calif CL everyweek.

Edited by minermark
  • Like 1

twk123,

Dude, What he did was in poor taste, back handed, and wrong.

But,.................................. You accepted the deal dude.

I can't support you on doing this....

Roger

I totally agree, I have had sellers balk at deals when I think they are done. You still had the opportunity to walk away at anytime prior to the payment exchange. To spam the guy to death is not really fair, as you knew the amended offer before you paid him.

• Like 2

So I find a set of Klipsch Synergy surround speakers a sub-woofer on Craigslist.  After I get a hold of him, he says that he has some "bad news" and that the subwoofer is needed for his system so he cannot include it.  He substitutes a crappy Mirage 8" woofer.  I complete the deal as I needed to get something for my mother and I am on my way. 

I am on Craigslist about 2 weeks later and find that he has the sub woofer for sale.  He just decided that he did not want to include it. 

Here is the ad:

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/ele/5398596864.html

If it means anything, he was a car salesman, so his ability to lie and not feel any guilt is probably highly developed.

Please feel free to spam him all you want while you think of my poor mother with a lack of bass. 

What a scumbag move. 

I happen to sell cars for a few years and have know a few scum salesmen---with that being said I also

knew very honest car salesmen--that would be me included. 

i never lied to anyone to sell a car and would have not felt good about it if I did.

Blanket statements like yours do NOT apply to every car salesman.

• Like 1

twk123,

Roger

I totally agree, I have had sellers balk at deals when I think they are done. You still had the opportunity to walk away at anytime prior to the payment exchange. To spam the guy to death is not really fair, as you knew the amended offer before you paid him.

I'll get over it, but still a scumbag move.  He said that he cannot include the subwoofer because he needed it for his system.  He should have said that he cannot include the subwoofer because he thinks it is worth more money.  A scumbag move to lie about it. 

I listed a camper shell for $100 and my phone was ringing off the hook.  A guy showed up and I asked him how much I had under-lisited it by.  He was hesitant but then said it was worth at least $300.  My response was "we good, a serviceman is getting a good deal then."  (he was in the air force).

• Like 1

He gave you the benefit and told you up front prior to commitment, prior to travel, prior to ANY consideration on your part about the changes and you agreed to the terms. 

It's his subwoofer. In fact, he may have very well wanted to keep it for his system. Perhaps he changed his mind and re-posted it for sale? 

Are you jumping to a conclusion and assuming he's lying about the whole situation? Is there a reason why you can't take him at his word? Or did I miss something where he admitted he was doing something you consider under-handed?

It's the sellers prerogative to change the terms of his offer prior to the deal being finalized. That is the bottom line.

If you want the subwoofer, make an offer. If you don't, move on. Leave the man alone. 

Edited by Bella
  • Like 1

twk123,

Roger

I'll get over it, but still a scumbag move.  He said that he cannot include the subwoofer because he needed it for his system.  He should have said that he cannot include the subwoofer because he thinks it is worth more money.  A scumbag move to lie about it. 

I listed a camper shell for $100 and my phone was ringing off the hook.  A guy showed up and I asked him how much I had under-lisited it by.  He was hesitant but then said it was worth at least $300.  My response was "we good, a serviceman is getting a good deal then."  (he was in the air force).

I agree that it was an underhanded thing to do!

Similar situation, a few years back, I sold an old Mustang, I was asking $8,000 because I wanted to buy an Aluminum Shelby engine block. I hadn't thought of selling it, the guy just showed up on my door with somebody I knew and wanted the car. I really hadn't thought of selling it, nor checked prices in several years. The guy first talked me down to $7,000, then He said he knew Carroll Shelby personally and could save me a $1,000 by making a phone call. I knew he had recently sold a mustang with a 427 Shelby Aluminum block in it for $585,000, yes, over half a million dollars at auction, and he lives local to m,e, so I took him at his word and sold it for $6,000 and a promise that I would get $1,000 off on my engine block. Not only did he lie to me about saving me any money what so ever, and an $800 factory 1967 390 big block air cleaner disappeared off of one of my other Mustangs when he picked up the car as well. To top that off, he put the car on eBay and sold it within 2 weeks for $14,000.

You can't do anything about others with no morals, all you can do is be a better person yourself, it will pay you back in the long run, both with friends and financially if you are always a good person, and you can never see it coming,Trust Me. ;)

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer
  • Like 1