Vent_Nikon_No-Service

USNRET

So my new Nikon scope lasted one magazine before the windage turret cap retaining screw fell out and was lost. I contacted Nikon who promptly sent me two tiny screws that hold the adjustment mechanism in the turret. After several days, emails and phone calls I was told that the two they sent are the only ones that are consumer replaceable as the cap screw takes a skilled technician to replace it. I would need to return the scope and have the screw installed……REALLY?  Shown are the two they sent and the hole for the much larger, countersunk, straight slot screw that you remove with a coin.

I no longer own a Nikon scope; thanks for my $800 back. I bought a Trijicon Accupoint

BTW, this screw had not been loosened, tightened or turned as this was my first outing and just looking at getting on paper from the bore sighting.

post-19886-0-38820000-1453944170_thumb.j

Edited by USNRET

As I quit re-building Heritage stuff back in 2010.. (long story and don't ask...), I turned my attention to sniper rifles (all the schools, scare badges, large penis enlargers, etc...), I now build them for my "friends" (LOL!!!), etc. Usually, as others have mentioned, I usually go with the Leupold MK-IV in one of it's variants. That being said, I have experimented with the Nikon M-308's. So far so good... But then again the rifles I build are generally .308's... LOL!!!  But I only use the Nikon on the Savage BA10's (or 110's). That being said... The Nikon scopes are always ordered direct from Nikon, NOT from an aftermarket dealer, distributor, etc. I am concerned that, as seems to be a possible trend, that scopes with "problems" are being returned to "dealers", and then re-packaged, and the re-sold to the next gullible consumer who wants one.

• Like 1

That 9 power zoom up to 45 power would be nice for long distances if it can stand up to the recoil, although with the guns weight, it is much more like a big push than a fast jerk as with my 7mm Rem Mags. :)

Although just as with my 7mm Rems, the bolt action gives a lot more punishment than the Auto Loaders do. :)

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

I prefer German optics on my rifles. This monster, made by Hensoldt for example, has the best resolving glass I've seen:
This being my first AR type rifle (Daniels Defense DDM4 V11 Tornado) I just want to get comfy at 50 yds first before reaching into the next county!
  • Like 1

Hard to believe Nikon is not consumer friendly, especially when you buy an $800 scope. OTOH the Trijicon will be just fine.

Mark

Buy a Ducati or BMW motorcycle and you  can get similar treatment. 

I have a BMW R1200GS. Any problems I ever had were promptly attended to. I am not disagreeing with you, but it does show that YMMV when it comes to stuff like this. BTW, I have a good dealership. That makes a lot of difference.

I prefer German optics on my rifles. This monster, made by Hensoldt for example, has the best resolving glass I've seen:
This being my first AR type rifle (Daniels Defense DDM4 V11 Tornado) I just want to get comfy at 50 yds first before reaching into the next county!

That's a 5.56mm, not a .223 Caliber correct?

For that kind of money, I would have looked into an Armalite AR-10, My best friend owns several AR-15 variants and the AR-10.

I have a Rock River Arms with 24" Stainless Bull Barrel, a 2 pound trigger, and a 6.5-20 power 50mm Leupold with 5 scope rings and real walnut butt stock and hand grip with a very nice Harris bipod on it.

How long have you had the Daniels? Is there any play between the upper and lower receiver? Have you put Loctite at the barrel interface yet?

Roger

Yes, 5.56mm (or both)

For that kind of money, I would have looked into an Armalite AR-10, My best friend owns several AR-15 variants and the AR-10

For that money I could have a lot but with the 13% military discount and then an email from DD Christmas eve offering another 10% on top of the mil disc. I went with it.

I have a Rock River Arms with 24" Stainless Bull Barrel, a 2 pound trigger, and a 6.5-20 power 50mm Leupold with 5 scope rings and real walnut butt stock and hand grip with a very nice Harris bipod on it.

Nice, I am thinking bipod myself, not much choice local and I need to know more before online ordering.

How long have you had the Daniels? Is there any play between the upper and lower receiver? Have you put Loctite at the barrel interface yet?

About a month, no, Que?

Yes, 5.56mm (or both)

For that kind of money, I would have looked into an Armalite AR-10, My best friend owns several AR-15 variants and the AR-10

For that money I could have a lot but with the 13% military discount and then an email from DD Christmas eve offering another 10% on top of the mil disc. I went with it.

Nice, I am thinking bipod myself, not much choice local and I need to know more before online ordering.

About a month, no, Que?

Take your AR out and get some dedicated 5 shot groups on paper at 100 yards.

To accurse the gun, the first two and cheapest things you can do are to clean up slop between the upper and lower receivers and between  the barrel and the receiver.

If you torque back and fourth between the upper and lower receiver, most all of the ARs will show a varying degree of movement between the receivers. The crappy, cheap way to fix this is with a cheap rubber accuriser  wedge, but they also sell a multi piece pin wedge that replaces the front receiver pin and has a screw that wedges two pieces of steel inside the pin holes, taking out the slop between the upper and lower receiver.

The second thing you will find is because of the way the barrel interfaces with the upper receiver that there is slop. The cheap way to fix this is to tear the gun down and put Loctite all over where the barrel interfaces with the receiver and re-torque the barrel nut.

Next, get yourself a Brownells Catologue from Brownells.com  They have the most complete Catolgue for AR-15 parts and accesaries as well as that wedge pin I was talking about, or the cheap crap rubber wedges.

Next, get yourself a good 2 pound trigger for the gun, then a dedicated target Barrel from a dedicated barrel manufacturer such as Shilen at www.shilen.com, and then work out a good hand load and that will be about as accurate as the gun is capable of.

Punch new 5 shot groups at 100 yards on paper after each step, but especially after finishing all of the improvements. :) 

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer