Garage Sale Motives

Zen Traveler

The few things I have sold are things I am just trying to move because I don't like them anymore, I am not trying to make money or get a fair price, just move it out.

I try to make the price low enough so someone close will come and get it, give me some cash and I don't have to look at it anymore. The people who post that the price

too low or crazy. I don't care, it is gone and not cluttering my mind anymore. I am getting to a point in my life where I need to start getting rid of all this crap

in my house, do I want someone I don't know sell all this stuff in an estate sale for any price, no. So I would rather my stuff go to someone who cares about music.

Same with the art work on my walls and so on, and relatives are the worst at trusting to be fair in being executors!

I don't know sell all this stuff in an estate sale for any price, no. So I would rather my stuff go to someone who cares about music.
well, that's where me and some of you are different--When I go my wife  is gonna place my stuff on ebay for top dollar and if it doesn't sell she can give it to a family member or charity. :)

I sold a pair of RF 7's to a newer member and not 2 weeks later he had them back up for sale here for a good deal more $$$. He was trying to flip them for a quick profit and I nailed his thread to the wall - and he no longer participates here. I

Of course you are welcome to do whatever you want but after you sold them they are no longer yours. Again, that's not to say I don't understand why you may be upset but...

I presume a level of civil decorum here.  We offer members better deals because of this forums camaraderie and to intentionally do something that violates that trust is intensely bad form that deserves to be hammered.  My $0.02.

Again, I understand the way you feel and am not necessarily trying to change your mind--Otoh, if I was the seller and was selling it for a fair price I would be offended by your comments...My point in starting this thread was to share our views and at least consider where the other person could legitimately be coming from.

Edited by Zen Traveler

The guy who started this must have had bad a day...... He even says he did.... The garage sale is as it's name implies. A place to sell things fast at a fair... Maybe some times great price.

I've sold and bought things from and to people who share common interest. Do I comment on certain things...... We ALL have. One thing I have learned to accept..... I don't always want to type my first thoughts.

I have only heard one comment in the garage sale that really ticked me off.

Someone once made a comment like..... Seems like a lot of low posters are selling things lately. You know who you are.

My comment to that is...... Maybe there should be a No Bull shit garage sale. That way we could get all the good stuff.

G.E.M

Edited by oldred

I sold a pair of RF 7's to a newer member and not 2 weeks later he had them back up for sale here for a good deal more $$$. He was trying to flip them for a quick profit and I nailed his thread to the wall - and he no longer participates here. I

Of course you are welcome to do whatever you want but after you sold them they are no longer yours. Again, that's not to say I don't understand why you may be upset but...

I presume a level of civil decorum here.  We offer members better deals because of this forums camaraderie and to intentionally do something that violates that trust is intensely bad form that deserves to be hammered.  My $0.02.

Again, I understand the way you feel and am not necessarily trying to change your mind--Otoh, if I was the seller and was selling it for a fair price I would be offended by your comments...My point in starting this thread was to share our views and at least consider where the other person could legitimately be coming from.

Well that was not the case...............  if you are so brazen or naive to remarket a member preferred accommodation for a profit on the same website you got that accommodation then you deserve what's coming to you.  It is a matter of character, or lack thereof - in this case.  But if it bothers you such a great deal sell me something at a really good price and I'll turn around and resell it here for a handsome profit and then you can choose your own response.  K?

I disagree with you on this. I look at long time members here as family, and just like family, you get stuck with some that aren't your favorite, and you don't see eye to eye with. selling for top dollar is just something you don't do to family.

There are some members here I would treat as family but most are strangers I meet on the internet. :) Heck, some who don't share my opinion on all things (read: nothing) I've come to like as well. Classifying everyone as "family" who has a great number of posts or longevity isn't the way my mind works...Nothing wrong with those of you that feel differently.

Holly fright you sound like a fellow I know, an ex forum member that all signs of have disappeared in thin air... only he would say regardless how many hours he spent on the internet with a person chatting and on the phone no way could he be a true friend...

Edited by NOSValves

Well that was not the case............... if you are so brazen or naive to remarket a member preferred accommodation for a profit on the same website you got that accommodation then you deserve what's coming to you. It is a matter of character, or lack thereof - in this case. But if it bothers you such a great deal sell me something at a really good price and I'll turn around and resell it here for a handsome profit and then you can choose your own response. K?

Again, you are seeing it in a certain paradigm that may not be true of all members, new or old alike. What you are calling an "accommodation" and then turning around on a  guy who decided not to keep the speakers and make a profit seems unfounded  to me. If the price he was selling them for seems outlandish then I can see the reason or you had a prior agreement that he wouldn't sell the speakers then I can understand, but there is no unwritten rule among members, afaik.

Edited by Zen Traveler

If the price he was selling them for seems outlandish then I can see the reason or you had a prior agreement that he wouldn't sell the speakers then I can understand, but there is no unwritten rule among members, afaik.

I agree.  Business is business.  As long as the transaction is straight up and both parties are happy, what's the problem?

Dave

Holly fright you sound like a fellow I know, an ex forum member that all signs of have disappeared in thin air... only he would say regardless how many hours he spent on the internet with a person chatting and on the phone no way could he be a true friend...

Truth on both sides here.  Roger's point is certainly true enough as far as it goes.  The "family" thing comes from years of sharing lives together.  Bear in mind that just being family doesn't mean you like each other.  But shared experiences over time builds something.  Some of us become fast friends through the process, and all develop at least a familiarity in the sense of "Yep, precisely as expect from XXXXX."  That in itself is family.  I cannot call everyone here a "friend," but I value all the associations and never fail to learn something from everyone who I encounter...even Snake Oil Audio.  :P

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 2

It's the BROTHERHOOD ! The phucking BROTHERHOOD !

Oscarsear gets it. Zen don't.

Nowadays 'THE BROTHERHOOD' seems to matter only when you're the buyer. The brotherhood is out the door when you're the seller.

This thread belongs in some other type forum, like a BULLSCHIT FORUM.

It seems pretty simple to me without need for discussion. If someone posts something for sale and you're interested then respond. If you're not interested in buying then STFU.

Good night my BROTHERS.

Keith

• Like 1