For Dave

Gilbert

Dallas is at least as bad as Houston.

Agreed, BUT there are more ways to get around there.  Where Iived on Galveston Bay you couldn't get anywhere else except Galveston without going though 50 miles of Houston.  Living in Flower Mound I learned to dive in and out of the metroplex to get places either quicker or with less hassle.  No breaks at all in Houston.

Dave

It's plain geometry, Dave.  You were at a point at the coast where there are not a whole lot of places to go, except places in Houston's shadow.

Texarkana is close enough to country.  My property that adjoins the Cossatot River Primitive Area is only an hour and a half pleasant drive north and is, IMHO, one of the most beautiful places on the planet.  I'm told I look younger since I got out of that hellhole down there.  I certainly feel it!

Dave

I just got back from my first visit to Los Angeles. Their traffic is even worse, which is kind of unimaginable until you see it for yourself.

you should have said something--i would have bought you dinner while you were here. And yeah, the traffic here sucks big time.

I had no idea you were there.  Housing is pretty orbital, too, so I hear.

Housing cost is sick.  I once spent a half-million on a large closet.  Since my divorce, i've been renting an apartment. $1856/month for a 980 sqft two-bedroom place. 

How do you guys afford it over there?  A lot of roommate arrangements? Extended family?

Mostly i think both husbands & wives have full-time jobs. That's the way it was while i was married too--we both worked.  I think the wages are probably a bit higher out here too; but, haven't checked. 

I have a co-worker that is making over $100K and is living with his in-laws so they can save up for a down payment on a house. I wasn't so lucky as to have parents that gave me money (as some out here have). So it was buy a house and just accept a ridiculous mortgage payment. 

One of the reasons that i'm bailing on this place.  If I stay here, i have to keep working. Move somewhere cheaper and i can enjoy life without so high of financial demands. I do feel sorry for raising my kids around here...they like it and still live here.  One of my daughters was paying $1600 per month for childcare (two kids).  She told me "i pay more in child care than some do for rent."  It's a rat race for sure...and don't even ask me about the restaurant that is ONLY for dogs!  Shallow people, surgically enhanced women, high-class snobbery ... can't wait to wave goodbye to this place. It's been long enough.

• Like 1

That's a fact, Keith.  Trully marvelous homes, especially the vintage ones, in Texarkana for 150k or less.  Some of those in meticulous condition.  One thing that seems odd...haircuts are the same price or more than in the Houston metro.  Haven't quite figured that out.  Left a Supercuts here that was handy, just across the street, when I saw 17.00 for a haircut.  Found some local folks on down the street but they were still 15.00.  I paid 12.00 in my Seabrook neighborhood. 

Dave

It's a rat race out there. People have to decide if they want to be a rat or not.

I remember my favorite barber. She disappeared from the local shop years back. She had a gift for cutting men's hair. She also had generous breasts. Perky enough that they rubbed all around on your head as she was cutting hair. My hair grew quickly back then. I remember I had to have a haircut often. I can't remember what she charged but the service was well worth it.

K.

• Like 5

Looks like the Southwest Freeway.

Yepper, that's the Katy Freeway to be exact. Same place where the motorcycle cop pulled me over for driving on the toll road without an EZ Pass.

Had to drive 420 miles "round trip", because it was a mandatory court appearance. Man I was pissed, until I met a couple of fellows from out of state who were there for the same thing.

yesterday, I got lost trying to find my way back to IH10. My freaking GPS App wasn't up to date, and led me into the nastiest dang traffic jam you ever saw.

Dallas is at least as bad as Houston.  I refuse to make appointments there if it involves rush hours, which are about 3.5 hours on either side of the day.  Honolulu is worse, but the distances are smaller.  So what if it takes 45 minutes to go the 8 miles needed?  (barf)

At least Dallas's rush hour traffic dissipates relatively quickly, and you can thank your city planners for that. Houston and Austin on the other hand, are nightmares that are getting worse with time.

Live in the Kuntry.....you will never go back

I love the country side hear in Spring Branch. It's night time, and I can see all the stars, and the crickets are doing the chirping thing... hmmmm, time for another round.

• Like 1