I am done with this LG french door fridge

USNRET

USNRET -  You're a smart guy.

Back off, calm down, and look at the situation in a fresh light.

You have a $$$ investment, YOU don't give that investment up, no matter how frustrating it is.

It seems to be all about defrosting of the icing.

Step back, Figure it out.

The current food inventory will be lost either way, and it will be all a major inconvenience no matter what you do.

But I don't know if giving up your investment is the logical way to go.

Frankly, myself, I would NEVER pay more than like $800 for a fridge/ freezer, making it more old school and simpler to fix.

This fancy high falutin crap is not for me.   Lars

USNRET -  You're a smart guy.

Back off, calm down, and look at the situation in a fresh light.

You have a $$$ investment, YOU don't give that investment up, no matter how frustrating it is.

It seems to be all about defrosting of the icing.

Step back, Figure it out.

The current food inventory will be lost either way, and it will be all a major inconvenience no matter what you do.

But I don't know if giving up your investment is the logical way to go.

Frankly, myself, I would NEVER pay more than like $800 for a fridge/ freezer, making it more old school and simpler to fix.

This fancy high falutin crap is not for me.   Lars

Thanks LARS. Average time to break down over 3 years has been 4-6 months. No technician within a 2.5 hour one way drive will come out to work on LG. I have changed every part recommended by everyone that has helped out with the troubleshooting. The last part, defrost thermistor, was installed today and now the fresh food section fan will not even start.  Took it apart again to check voltage and connections and found no fault. Living where we do it will take some time to have anything close to what we want delivered. I might, MIGHT, replace the fan itself if I can get one delivered before the wife makes up her mind on what she wants. Checking parts..out

Not to keep stepping into the frigid (heh) conversation already going on...

The symptom of my range isn't that the door refuses to unlatch.....the oven simply shuts down.  The door has never held its lock on me.

Put some biscuits in there & start baking them....  then 'beep, beep, beep, beep' the beeping starts, oven shuts down and you see 'F5' on the display.

Shut it down, turn oven back on, it will say "350" for about 2 seconds, the go into beep mode, displaying F5 again.

Let oven cool 100%, say the next day, and it might cook the biscuits perfectly fine.

Second situation...

Cook something & let it finish.  Turn oven off (but it's still hot inside, cooling down)  Oven cools from say, 400 to 200 and the wife says "oh, would you bake a 'tater for me" so you turn the oven back on.  It's starting at 200 degrees instead of zero.  BAM, goes into beeping mode and shows F5 on the screen.

The door latch has never locked and never been an issue.

Ok, back to shooting refrigerators... perhaps it would be more rewarding to drown one instead of shooting it?  You could drown it then as it floats in the pool, shoot it?  :ph34r:

Edited by Coytee

I got sick of dealing with an Amana after about 8 years or so.  It had problems from the first month in my new house.  I moved it out to the garage and bought a new fridge (LG with french doors in fact).   When the part came for the Amana I installed it and was surprised that it actually worked.  Now it is 19 years old and hasn't had anymore problems at all!  I think it just likes the garage better...  It keeps the Lone Star nice and cold!  

On the LG I had a board go bad for the LED lights.  Seems like the part was a couple hundred dollars but a friend found it online for me at a fraction.  I can tell that there are some parts that simply don't seem to be available which makes these refrigerators pretty disposable.

Don't shoot the fridge... put it out in the garage.

put it out in the garage
Well, the freezer section works but we have a full size freezer and a refrezzerator (chest freezer that has digital temp controller to maintain 33 degrees for wife's kimche) out there

In consumer reports hand book 2015 LG ranks at the bottom of reliable and at top of the list is whirlpool, Samsung, Kenmore [which is a whirlpool], Maytag [which is also a whirlpool]. I wish Amana was still around but they got bought out by ...guess who?

I owned an Amana fridge that thing was awesome.

The appliance shop in town use to have a cut away of Amana washer and dryer and they looked like they were built to last but I could not afford them at the time. Try to look for old Amana dryer you wont find them they last forever.

Oddly enough Samsung and lg can not seem to build a microwave both are at bottom of that list even though Samsung builds good tvs weird huh.?

But lg is at top of good list for dryers.....wow But do not buy lg or Samsung dishwasher even though I never had one they seem to be real bad at those. lol

Placed on CL for $200.00  and sold in 30 minutes with three on the waiting list. We will live out of garage appliances and coolers for 3-4 weeks until the new one arrives. Price matching, no tax and 4 year 'full protection plan' from the base furniture gallery gets us a new Whirlpool WRV986FDEM for $2500.

Not to keep stepping into the frigid (heh) conversation already going on...

The symptom of my range isn't that the door refuses to unlatch.....the oven simply shuts down.  The door has never held its lock on me.

Put some biscuits in there & start baking them....  then 'beep, beep, beep, beep' the beeping starts, oven shuts down and you see 'F5' on the display.

Shut it down, turn oven back on, it will say "350" for about 2 seconds, the go into beep mode, displaying F5 again.

Let oven cool 100%, say the next day, and it might cook the biscuits perfectly fine.

Second situation...

Cook something & let it finish.  Turn oven off (but it's still hot inside, cooling down)  Oven cools from say, 400 to 200 and the wife says "oh, would you bake a 'tater for me" so you turn the oven back on.  It's starting at 200 degrees instead of zero.  BAM, goes into beeping mode and shows F5 on the screen.

The door latch has never locked and never been an issue.

Ok, back to shooting refrigerators... perhaps it would be more rewarding to drown one instead of shooting it?  You could drown it then as it floats in the pool, shoot it?  :ph34r:

The Google search terms do not include Stuck latch, if you read further.

Apparently, the stuck latch is a common problem, BUT there is a wealth of info about the general problem.  Lars