I am done with this LG french door fridge

USNRET

This little thermostat limit is what sends the signal to the defrost heater to kick on.  They go bad...

Got it; understand the theory. Searching to find best chance of correct part number for this beast. No local parts supply here. Looking Sears, Repair Clinic etc. Confusing with terms of refrigerator sensor, freezer sensor..currently looking at this

post-19886-0-05000000-1459389379_thumb.j

Edited by USNRET

Travis, it was most highly rated by CR when I bought it. LG French door continues to have some of the highest ratings but man, there are thousands of failure reports. If I were to give benefit of doubt, this exact model/ year was a one off lemon but sure sours me on re-buying a new LG.

Sorry for your trouble on an expensive appliance. I had a problem with a cheap set of LG head phones that went bad. Worst customer service I have ever experienced. Decided then that it was an inexpensive lesson and that I would never buy one of their products again. You've confirmed that decision for me.

Carl, I believe I have been on every appliance repair forum there is including $29 / month chat help all to no avail. If this defrost thermistor doesn't do it the F--LG fridge becomes AR target practice this weekend.

Carl, I believe I have been on every appliance repair forum there is including $29 / month chat help all to no avail. If this defrost thermistor doesn't do it the F--LG fridge becomes AR target practice this weekend.

Be a responsible sniper and recover the Freon first :P

• Moderators

Travis, it was most highly rated by CR when I bought it. LG French door continues to have some of the highest ratings but man, there are thousands of failure reports. If I were to give benefit of doubt, this exact model/ year was a one off lemon but sure sours me on re-buying a new LG.

O was afraid you were going to say that, I recall you do your research prior to leaping.

I know it's out of warranty, any luck with customer service. Wondering if they would offer any kind of a generous trade in to keep your loyalty. I'm not totally cynical yet, I do believe there is still hope that companies are in it for the long run.

The AG office in Texad has a consumer complaint line, dependin on the issue they have got a lot of people some favorable result. I think it is a matter of having a similar complaint.

I hate buying those after market warranties that best buy and everyo e sells, I figure if I am buying right product it will have a problem in girst monnth and they will stand behind it.

The first time my dad had a repair man out[when I was about 8] and I watched what he did then handed my dad a 98 dollar bill. I said to myself I can do this looked easy so I have never had a repair guy out. In my experience on a front load washer under warranty the repair guy did not even put it back together right.

On same washer the bearing just went out last month found a guy online selling better bearings and fixed it my self.

As far as fridge's go my mom bought a Philco/Ford fridge that caught on fire twice , I figured if they cant even build a fridge, cars were way to hard for them.

Now that whirlpool has bought almost all the regular names up you can not get Amana or a few others but in whirlpools defense they do know how to make fridges and washer and dryers.

I hope you get your fridge figured out but next time try less complicated model...Not sure if you said how old it was but if bought a Lowes. A friend of mine says they take them back and give new ones. Guess what they do with the old ones even if they work fine.....dumpster them...I needed a fridge one time and he had been taking the good ones to his house and got me one that only needed a small repair for 90 bucks. The repair was 15 bucks..lol.

Ok....so where to go...

I have a Kitchenaid range.  Too lazy to go upstairs right now to get model number.

It keeps giving me the 'F-5' error.  When this happens, it (the oven) shuts down.  The stove works fine.  I had a repair guy out to fix it, he gave me the part number (can't find it) and said a specific circuit needs replaced.  Also, that the symptoms seem to be managed for a while after the oven is put through its clean cycle.

They don't make that specific part anymore.  Looking on Ebay, I once found it for about $100 and didn't buy it as oven was working.

I also was nervous on buying it because it seems it was a defective part and the part I'm buying might die a week later.

I'm anticipating buying a new range but as stated above, I put some extra dollars into this up front thinking it would outlast us.  (it is about 15 years old but we don't use the oven that much, compared to the stove)

Anyone have some creative ideas other than just chucking the whole thing?

Edited by Coytee

Did you level your refrigerator perfectly? If you did that's why it won't defrost. It must be leaning backwards to work the defrost properly. Not by much but noticeable. The defrosted water must be able to flow internally toward the rear of the unit.

Anyway that's what was wrong with mine. The install guy is supposed to install it that way. Mine is the cheapest unit you can buy.

JJK

I'll recheck the level however, I don't have a problem with ice build up anywhere but around the fan blades. There has been no visible ice build up (except when I once installed the freezer door slides incorrectly which allowed the door seal to leak).

Appliances these days are over complicated POS's and I like many of you do a lot of research prior to making any major purchase and when we purchased our GE Profile, it was because of all the major component's were covered for 5 years and I don't play the extended warranty game anymore. (whole different story on my plasma TV)  The best ratings on refrigerators are mediocre at best considering that many of them are written by people that haven't even owned them a year, so you can throw those out and any long term reviews of almost all refrigerators that offer electronic controls and icemakers suck, regardless of what you spend.  GE appliance is now owned by Frigidaire, which actually is the worst company I've ever had to deal with regarding service so I cross my fingers and know that I'm covered for 5 years for anything to do with the cooling system and if the icemaker craps out, oh well.

Currently looking for a new gas range (36") and I don't even want a digital clock on it.

Sorry for the rant, and I hope you're successful in the repair.