found someone selling a pair of K horns but says they arent fully functional and I don't even know if there legit..

AaronB123

I found someone on Craigslist in my area selling a pair of K Horns I will post a link to the thread. I have been in contact with the guy he said he will get back to me on what he is asking but I want to know given what they look like and what he says about them what do you guys think. Are they even worth it? How much would you guys pay for them? Are these things even real? I've never seen a Klipschorn that looked like this. He says there from the 70's

I appreciate all the help! 

http://hartford.craigslist.org/ele/5519681456.html

Those are interesting for a modified pair.

What do you think their worth? I was thinking of offering like 6-800 considering there not even working 

They are certainly not worth 600. Too many unknowns and too many things that need to be performed on them. I would at least ask for a picture of the back so you can see the mid driver and crossover on both cabinets

Those are interesting for a modified pair.

What do you think their worth? I was thinking of offering like 6-800 considering there not even working 

They are certainly not worth 600. Too many unknowns and too many things that need to be performed on them. I would at least ask for a picture of the back so you can see the mid driver and crossover on both cabinets

Thank you! I was thinking that myself. These look almost as if they were hand built to replicate the K horns. Do you guys think I should even bother with them? 

Whether they're even worth 600 would depend on how they sound, but I agree with Tom -- too many unknowns.  Someone tried to time-align the tweeters and mid's with that strange elevated holder at the back of the top hat.

For all anyone knows, the previous owner may have tried to experiment with drivers and Xovers, too.  Very chancy, and too crude!  Find a better pair and put your money there, is my suggestion.

Edited by LarryC

There was a decorator series which were commonly customized. There should be a sticker on the back. 

You may be underestimating what  is involved in fixing the tweeter and what actually needs to be done. For instance, it may not be easy to get a replacement diaphragm. 

Ya the guy is saying he wont take a penny less than 2,500 truthfully it sounds like he's full of crap saying he's had  tons of hits and offers in the 2,000 range on them and they've only been up since this morning  which I somehow doubt given the shape that there in and knowing how hard it is to sell even mint condition audio equipment on craigslist. I think this is one of those things where he thinks by saying he's had tons of offers I will jump on it. 

The guy that sold me my Chorus's had the listing up for over a month and said I was the first person to respond to the ad and those are mint. When I was thinking of selling my brand new RP-450C I listed it on craigslist and didn't get one hit and when I tried to sell my fully working JBL studio speakers the best offer I got was like 50. 

I think you guys are right, stay away from this one! 

• Like 2

I like the veneer look, and he has time aligned the tweeter and midrange, which will help the imaging a LOT. A firend of mine had that model, but left them with the regular ply and stained and sealed them. Sounded superb. The lacewood and mahogany design is nice, but perhaps not everyone's cup of tea.

An audition would help, but if not set up somewhere, could totally give the wrong impression. I would still find out what he wants and see if you can find out more about them.

Bruce

EDIT: Just missed your post. He's asking too much! Way out of line...

Edited by Marvel

It could be that they are home made versions of a LaScala's.  Edit, boy did I misread the photograph.

If the fellow is getting offers of $2000 he should certainly sell them to the bidder.

$1000 should get you the real McCoy in working condition.

WMcD

Edited by WMcD
  • Like 1

If you can't get more pics and serial numbers, I'd walk away.  Just the grammar and spelling errors would make me suspicious.  The tweeter would have been mounted above and centered over the squawker.  If that hole is not present they are not likely Klipsch. 

It could be that they are home made versions of a LaScala's. If the fellow is getting offers of $2000 he should certainly sell them to the bidder.

$1000 should get you the real McCoy in working condition.

WMcD

Yup thats exactly what I told him in the email.

wont take a penny less than 2,500

Good thing he's not out for blood.  I'd hate to see his blood price... 

Thats right, when I read that he wasnt out for blood I thought he may ask like 600 or so but I was amazed at the 2500! 

If you can't get more pics and serial numbers, I'd walk away.  Just the grammar and spelling errors would make me suspicious.  The tweeter would have been mounted above and centered over the squawker.  If that hole is not present they are not likely Klipsch. 

Ya, I will email him and see if he can give any more information or pictures but it's funny you mention the spelling errors and grammar because that's exactly what I was thinking. You would think with such a high end sale that he would actually put effort into the add. Also, his emails are even worse than the post in terms of grammar and spelling. I have actually thought about the fact that these could be some home made fakes myself. 

I will ask for serial numbers and pictures of the rears and if he sends more pictures I will post them here! 

100% agreed.  Those are not stock designers from mid 70s, maybe even not khorns.  Likely the reason they are not showing the back.

I bought a pair of designers a long time ago for 650.  Also bought a very slightly beater khorns for 750 so those should go on the cheap.

You may be underestimating what  is involved in fixing the tweeter and what actually needs to be done. For instance, it may not be easy to get a replacement diaphragm. 
Note that the front HF panel even lacks the tweeter cutouts, so it's not ready for restoring the original configuration.  As much as the time alignment was not good in the original design, this has nowhere the elegance of PWK's design.  It shows IMO.

Of course I agree with Larry C.

The other tip off is the vertical strip at the apex of the doghouse. Sort of a narrow version of the Belle.

In the Klipsch design the two boards are cut to a 60 degree angle (or like that). It is difficult to accomplish and might require a special table saw or a jig. The vertical trip is a work around which Klipsch never used, to my knowledge.

WMcD

Edited by WMcD