training cats

Paducah Home Theater

People tend to drop animals around my place and we tend to find them in the woods, half starved to death, and adopt them.  One cat I have though is driving me crazy.  It wants to go outside, in the middle of the night.  Basically it will come in my room and start scratching at the door, at like 3 AM.  It knows this ticks me off to no end because as soon as I move, it takes off running.  I'll try to go back to sleep and he'll just do it again five minutes later.  If I close the bedroom door it will just bang on that which has the same effect.  The thing is just a mental case.  

So, I'm about to order a radio controlled shock collar I guess.  If you know of a better way, please let me know. :)  

Let it outside? :D

I try but it runs away!  I have to wake my wife or daughter up and have them do it.  Then an hour later it wants back in so it does the same thing in reverse.  Two nights ago it wanted out again an hour later.  Just an all night ordeal.  We don't exist to heed to a friggin cat's every wish.  

Cats are smart and will train you if you don't train them. That said, I had a cat that had to be an outdoor cat, it just wasn't going to be happy inside. His life was a bit shorter but he was a lot happier outside (with access to the garage). It depends on their nature

Edited by tromprof
  • Like 1

It depends on their nature

I didn't even mention all of it.  This one gets crazy at night.  He actually ran back and forth through the house awhile back in the middle of the night, then tried to jump on my kitchen island, across to the countertop at full speed, then launched off that and landed halfway down my hallway.  It didn't land right and busted its hip all up.  Had to have surgery and its hip socket was completely removed.  Basically it has no joint anymore, the muscles support the area and that's it.  I thought that would calm it down but not really.  It doesn't run like that but it still gets wild at night.  Just going to have to try the crate method I guess.  I can't even find a shock collar locally, will have to order one.  

Shock collar on a cat is a huge waste of time, and IMHO is somewhat overdone, and not particularly humane.

My suggestion would be to take this cat to a "no kill" shelter.  Failing that, put the cat outside, and leave it there.  

I'm not being mean here....I have two cats, and have had both dogs and cats for the last 25 years....

• Like 1

We did litter boxes in the garage and put them out there when they got annoying.  They go there at night - they have a big dog bed, life seems pretty good.  A little fit is pitched at first door closing, then quiet.

There are cat doors. We had them a long time ago and the cats could come and go as they wanted.

Coyotes tend to make them disappear permanently if we don't bring them in at night.  We only let this one out due to not being able to sleep if we don't.  We have more coyotes than cats.  My land isn't farmed, I care for it like a game reserve, which attracts a bunch of mice and rabbits, and therefore coyotes.  They apparently like to eat cats as well.  

• Like 1