National Bourbon Day

Ceptorman

Just a note of caring  to my fellow Forum members.

You need to be aware how insidious and life taking this stuff can be.

I am currently struggling, and now I do see, at least in my case, it saps my strength, overall ability's, hence Life.

I'm not even talking life like life and death,like Liver or whatever stuff,  I'm talking everyday affect on your abilitys to strongly live Life

And I'm not even including the affect it can have w relationships, thankfully that's not really my situation.

I'm talking about here just affect on the drinker on their ability's

At work for others, self employed, retired but subdued of vigor, etc..

Of course, consumption is OK, if it's minimal.

When, or if, it becomes a "habit", Shit, be careful.    Lars

I know what you are saying. 4.5 years at the University of Colorado I have seen many dark paths that alcohol and other drugs have taken people down (With cocaine oddly absent but Adderall has pretty much makes it obsolete for the most part). Recently I have actually quit drinking altogether aside from a few times a year for holidays etc. Once you clear alcohol out of your system your body just kind of rejects it and I get a pretty bad headache right after drinking more than a beer or dab of whiskey.

Its actually interesting that I first got into sipping bourbon to drink less. I have a habit of drinking things very fast and will often down mixed drinks in a few min then get a refill but with bourbon you HAVE to sit back and take small sips which spreads it out much further and makes you enjoy the nuances which is enjoyable in itself. 

makes you enjoy the nuances which is enjoyable in itself.

Last night when I was drinking the Weller, I would just hold the glass under my nose and take it all in for maybe 30 seconds at a time.  I don't do that with anything else but bourbon.  There's so much going on there.

Last night when I was drinking the Weller, I would just hold the glass under my nose and take it all in for maybe 30 seconds at a time.  I don't do that with anything else but bourbon.  There's so much going on there.

I know what you mean. I even have a little ritual I always do when trying a new bourbon. First I pop the top and give it a little "intro" smell to get an idea of what I am getting into. Then pour it into my special glass and give it a good swirl to examine the color and release the aroma. Next I give it a little whiff, then take a tiny little sip and let it absorb into my mouth then take another good long smell at the same time for everything to mesh. Only then once I am satisfied I will allow myself my first actual drink.  :sleep: 

One thing I do absolutely despise is going to a bar and asking for a neat bourbon and having them pour it into a crappy little water cup or worse a shot glass. How can you be a respectable bar with 6 different types of beer and wine glasses and not a single decent bourbon glass? Ill put up with a plastic cup at 30,000 feet on my flight but the damn airport bar can do better. :emotion-45:

I know what you mean. I even have a little ritual I always do when trying a new bourbon. First I pop the top and give it a little "intro" smell to get an idea of what I am getting into. Then pour it into my special glass and give it a good swirl to examine the color and release the aroma. Next I give it a little whiff, then take a tiny little sip and let it absorb into my mouth then take another good long smell at the same time for everything to mesh. Only then once I am satisfied I will allow myself my first actual drink.  :sleep:

One thing I do absolutely despise is going to a bar and asking for a neat bourbon and having them pour it into a crappy little water cup or worse a shot glass. How can you be a respectable bar with 6 different types of beer and wine glasses and not a single decent bourbon glass? Ill put up with a plastic cup at 30,000 feet on my flight but the damn airport bar can do better. :emotion-45:

I just use a brandy glass (well, crystal).  what is proper?

I just use a brandy glass (well, crystal).  what is proper?

Brandy glass is fine and a good choice. Its mainly just when your order a $10 whiskey neat at a bar and get it in a little water cup instead of any sort of actual snifter.

I just swill it straight out of the bottle or a cube or two of ice in a shaker into a double shot glass for sipping.

Maybe for company i may break out the Makers mark glasses but most of my friends could care less what they are drinking out of as long as its clean.

There is always that fine line between living an enjoyable life and stupid.

I would appreciate being informed at precisely where this point is. 

Dave

When Bill Engval hands you your sign :)

Just don't depend on Ron White to do same.   Lars

ron-White.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.facebook.com/Silent-Brigade-Distillery-528818217218259/

New distillery here in town.  Currently only making moonshine I think but they had a ceremony the other day where the mayor like dropped yeast in a barrel or something, so I think they're going to make bourbon but it'll have to sit awhile.  

Today is National Bourbon Day. I know some of you will be celebrating.

What you got?

Hmmmm.  Supply is low.

Four Roses Small Batch.

Gentleman J.

Elijah Craig Small Batch.

Chattanooga Whiskey Cask.

Elijah Craig Single Barrel 23-y.o.  ;)

Had some Jesse James Bourbon last weekend.

Cheap and preferred over many more expensive brands.

These guys are interesting in that they buy it in bulk from somewhere in Kentucky, but won't say where.  Most likely it is rebranded Heaven Hill or something.  Gets shipped up to New Hampshire and bottled up and marketed by LeVecke.  

Probably MGP in Lawrenceburg, IN.  Can still be quite tasty.