Cornwall tops have sticky residue-how to clean

RLink

I was keeping this vinyl square on top of my speakers and it left a checkerboard mark as seen in the pictures.  I tried a little Murphy's Oil Soap with Warm Water and it didn't work at all.

Any suggestions on how to get it off without removing the finish.  Any help is greatly appreciated.....Thanks.

post-60890-0-93800000-1466269744_thumb.j

post-60890-0-05920000-1466269757_thumb.j

Sorry Mungki, your'e a great guy , but Lacquer thinner, especially manually applied, will very probably DESTROY the existing finish.

This is why I SPECIFIED  Mineral spirits, ( in the OTHER thread apparently) that will not dissolve the finish, but probably remove the residue.

Lars

Edited by Karsoncookie

Laquer thinner, Sprayed on, ONCE THE FOREIGN RESIDUE IS REMOVED, may "reflow" the finish.

But VERY risky because we really don't know the formulation of the finish.

"Lacquer" (the Factory finish)  is a very in-specific loosely sloppily used  term.

Lars

Edited by Karsoncookie

Sorry Mungki, your'e a great guy , but Lacquer thinner, especially manually applied, will very probably DESTROY the existing finish.

This is why I SPECIFIED  Mineral spirits, that will not dissolve the finish, but probably remove the residue.

Lars

The issue at hand is that the lacquer finish has reacted with the vinyl cover, resulting in damage to the finish. If only you were closer...

If push comes to shove you can always buff it out with a car polisher after wet sanding it with 1200 paper. It does make a very nice mess though so do it in the garage or outside.

JJK

Edited by JJKIZAK

How's about denatured alcohol?

Try using little alcohol pads.

13001500-bodichek-Alcohol%20Swab-500px.j

When I bought my Revel B15 subwoofer used, it was discounted because it had some type of rubber/glue'ish substance imprinted on the lacquer sycamore finish.  I spent hours wiping with these little alcohol pads and successfully removed the goo without destroying the finish.

Bill

post-24680-0-24220000-1466337983_thumb.j

Thanks so much to everyone for the suggestions.  I will probably try Alcohol first and then the Naptha or mineral spirits.  I just can't believe that the vinyl stuck to the speaker, all along I was trying to protect it not damage it.  

Will let you know what if anything worked.............

I see this a lot in the flooring industry with various mats over the flooring. More than likely its "plasticizer migration' and the color has migrated into the finish.

​If mineral spirits or naphtha  doesn't work, sanding and refinish might be the only solution.

Try googling plasticizer migration or plasticizer migration on wood for more information.