Khorn new owner and thanks

I plan on proceeding in a methodical manner as suggested.  I want to hear them in their new home first, then I will recap, then listen again.  

I had had to gamble with having replacement components and make sure I can stun my wife with them, she has to feel good about the purchase because she hates that they are so large.  If they were broken too I'd be in hot water.  I can always sell the extra parts.

question: why is the PWK logo in a different place on that 1974 photo?

When I got my first Klipsch (Heresy), my wife was blown away. She loved them as much as I did which went a long way for her tolerance of my hobby and it helped sell her on the fact that we needed La Scalas! LOL

Having your wife on board is a major win. She was in 100% in when we decided to restore the Heresies. Great project that we did together.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

question: why is the PWK logo in a different place on that 1974 photo?

Badges have changed through the years. But I don't know about placement. Perhaps if you bought a pair back then Klipsch put one badge on the left and the other on the right for a stereo pair?

1 minute ago, babadono said:

Badges have changed through the years. But I don't know about placement. Perhaps if you bought a pair back then Klipsch put one badge on the left and the other on the right for a stereo pair?

As far as I know that is the original location and badge on my '74. The badge on my other '74 is long gone.  Both are in the upper right location on the '67's

Congrats on the SCORE!!  What are you going to be powering them with?

They are not dry, but they could use a slight rubbing of oil.  Don't worry about their size, Khorns tuck away neatly in corners and really don't take up much space -- and if you have a set in nice condition (like yours are), they look like fine furniture.  Most people that visit my house don't realize they are speakers.

Well, the top hats made it to their new home safely.  the bass bins are getting moved in the morning.  I ran a signal generator into the crossover and believe it or not, I have working mids and tweeters.  Can't wait to get them totally assembled and placed.  I will definitely re-cap the crossovers, and I might even swap out the tweeters to see how the new ones sound.  The woofers I don't know much about until later.

The original owner tried to interest me in his HH Scott amp he built (he thinks) in the early 60's.  I had to turn him down.  For one, it is built into a cabinet and is huge, and two, my wife would kill me (again). 

If anyone is interested in the continuing saga of the Khorns, I'll keep this thread going.

COOL.....how much did he want for the Scott ?  The woofers are probably still good some suggest rotating them since they have been in one position for a loooong time. Plus I'm sure all the screws in the whole speaker need a little tightening up. Doing the crossover maybe all you need to bring these back do one so you can A/B them.

On 8/2/2016 at 2:09 PM, codewritinfool said:

I had had to gamble with having replacement components and make sure I can stun my wife with them, she has to feel good about the purchase because she hates that they are so large.

Good thinking.

You have the advanced anticipating skills of a wily veteran.  B)

+++

I found the Khorns take up less useful space and are less visually obtrusive than practically any other speaker I've ever had because they are on the periphery of my vision and take up corner space that would never be otherwise used. 

At least that's what I use to try to convince my wife about the refrigerator sized speakers in her living room.  :unsure:

17 hours ago, wvu80 said:

At least that's what I use to try to convince my wife about the refrigerator sized speakers in her living room.  :unsure:

That's funny!  Denise and I are past all that and when I tell her that I bought a new, this or that, she just says, "you're nuts" and I say "OK" and we go on with our lives.  :D

• Like 1

On 05/08/2016 at 3:19 PM, codewritinfool said:

I will definitely re-cap the crossovers, and I might even swap out the tweeters to see how the new ones sound.  The woofers I don't know much about until later.

If anyone is interested in the continuing saga of the Khorns, I'll keep this thread going.

I think a bunch of us will be interested in the continuing saga.

I have just re-capped the AK-3 crossovers in my 1990 KHorns and then went on to replace the tweeters with Bob Crites CT120s. I have also built new ALK universal crossovers at 4500Hz to better utilise the CT120s.

There is a wealth of information buried in this forum, here is an excellent comparison of crossovers -

Edited by Wirrunna
CT120 not CT110