How Do These Horns Look?

standingwave

Thank you, It's nice to be here. Jumping in headfirst with these Khorns.  I paid 2000 for them, although not a "deal" seems fair, although I could be mistaken as my knowledge is limited. Im going to be leaving to pick them up in a few, any critical things to look out for? Know a good chiropractor in the area?

They look very nice and welcome to the forum!  They were a deal if you stayed in budget and like what you hear.  I wish I would have jumped off into the Klipsch pool from a higher diving board and started with a set of Khorns or Jubs, in the end, it would have probably saved me some money.  :lol:

Hi Bruce, I apologize,  by "across the sea" I was referring to my occupation, recording music, as opposed to being on the other side of the speakers. 

To my regret, It seems I will be waiting a week to take possession of the horns. As you can imagine, I am quite anxious. I was going solo with a two wheeler and pick up, now that I have time to arrange things should enlist a friend with a moving truck and play it very safe, or will I be fine with my humble truck and some good luck?

• Moderators
5 hours ago, standingwave said:

Anything I should know or keep an eye on besides the usual recap?

Welcome looks like you got a good deal.

You did ask so YES there is something you can do, either add false corners or get them sealed in the corner or your only getting half of their performance. 

Sorry if you know all of this already, i was just going by the pic's, many here can help with ideas for changes if needed, it's pretty simple really. 

On 9/1/2016 at 1:58 PM, standingwave said:

Thank you, It's nice to be here. Jumping in headfirst with these Khorns.  I paid 2000 for them, although not a "deal" seems fair, although I could be mistaken as my knowledge is limited. Im going to be leaving to pick them up in a few, any critical things to look out for? Know a good chiropractor in the area?

you my friend got the deal of the century.

1 hour ago, standingwave said:

Hi Bruce, I apologize,  by "across the sea" I was referring to my occupation, recording music, as opposed to being on the other side of the speakers. To be open and honest, I know close to nothing about the world of hifi equipment outside of the recording studio. I saw a pair of these in person and thought " there is no way something this beautiful can sound bad" . Hell, most of us listen with our eyes anyways.

To my regret, It seems I will be waiting a week to take possession of the horns. As you can imagine, I am quite anxious. I was going solo with a two wheeler and pick up, now that I have time to arrange things should enlist a friend with a moving truck and play it very safe, or will I be fine with my humble truck and some good luck?

Welcome to the Forum!

These are very large speakers and will seem much bigger in person, I would definitely play it safe and bring a friend as you never know how physically capable the current owner is to help you move them. The moving truck will make life much easier as well as you can use a hand truck and keep them covered. Being a music recording engineer is an interesting perspective to get into high efficiency horns with as they are extremely revealing of bad recordings and nuances in the sound which is something you will have a unique appreciation for. It would be an interesting experience actually to listen to some of the music you recorded on your new K-horns and compare how it sounds vs what you heard in the studio mastering room with the monitors.

On 9/1/2016 at 4:14 PM, standingwave said:

There are a couple of threads on tips to move Khorns.

Those look sweet.....just make sure all drivers work. Loosen and retighten all connections. My 74s had a few air leaks in woofer chamber easy to test and fix. I rebuild the crossover not sure which one you got in these. Need pic??

Check mid range driver rubber seal.

Seal to corner with pipe foam and don't forget the horizontal part of the bass bin.

If sitting on hardwood floor or smooth floor get some Grippers they use to be called from wally world.

Do a lot of reading here while you wait to go get them and take the top hats off to move them makes life much easier.