Where can I listen to the La Scalia II's or Cornwall III's?

32blownhemi

Hello Everyone, my first post! Roughly 20 years ago I went to look at something to buy that I'd found on Craigslist. As I was walking up the pathway to the front door I heard a song playing that was one of my favorites. I thought; "OMG, it sounds like the band is playing live in the house!" But, when I got in the house there was no live band! What was there were Klipschorn Speakers! I was blown away! I told myself I'd own them someday! Well, anyway, now I have the money & the house but no corners for Klipschorn's so I'm interested in either La Scalia's or Cornwalls. I'd like to listen to them. I live in Ventura, California but can travel to L.A or ? to hear them. Local places only have the lest expensive ones in stock. Any idea's on where I can hear these?   Thanks!   Bill

Well I'm sure you can find a forum member that has some. Not sure if there are any close. But both of those models will impress you I'm sure. You could buy used Scalas or Cornwalls. I have been to Hope and seen the Herseys made and the Klipschorn made both were the 70th anniversary models. I just saw they might make a 70th LaScala sweet. 

Thank you Ricktate, Just thought of something. I'll call Klipsch & ask them who stocks them! If that doesn't work I'll just get used La Scala's. I was leaning towards new cuz I don't want to deal with any problems but for the big bucks involved I'd like to see what I'm getting first. Also I'm reading all this confusing stuff on what amp to use with them. I guess with klipsch's (& I'm sure other high end speakers) there's no such thing as just getting one particular set up & being happy with it....   Bill

32BlownHemi - A new pair of LaScala aproach $8,000.

Used, in great cosmetic shape, Ballpark Ballpark like $1700 to- $1200.

Poor cosmetic shape, down to ballpark $700.

An xover rebuild by Crites or others is a few hundred $.

In our lifetimes, unless exposed at length to very poor ambient conditions, the old ones are just fine, study the posts on this Forum.

Yes, check into the Craigslist links above.   

Lars

Thanks for all the replies! The La Scala's on Craigslist don't look like La Scala's I see pic's of. I'm guessing their La Scala I's & they look different? From searching I see the Belle's are not made anymore & were right under the Korn's in the product lineup. Should they be in a corner? And the caps aren't leaking? Is the crossover ok? $8 Grand new? Ah, used is sounding better! Lol... Are the  Belle's worth $2250 ?  Thank you Everyone!  A wealth of knowledge here!   Bill 

The La Scalas shown are real La Scalas -- they've just been modified to add handles and a full frontal grill.  Belles are essentially the same as La Scalas, they just have a slightly different cabinet for cosmetics purposes (slightly smaller mid-horn also, but all other components are the same).  Belle's do run higher in price though, so if looks aren't a concern then get La Scalas.  There are many that believe the Belle is the best looking speaker ever made.

It doesnt need to say if they are ones or twos... they are very different in construction materals, layout and cost.

1's are 3/4" birch ply wood in one piece layout (unless its a pro model, then its two piece with handles)...

2's are 1" MDF wood in two piece layout (Low frequency section is separated from the H frequency section),and the entire unit is covered in furniture grade veneer...

Very difficult to mistake the two speakers.

• Like 1

What Schu said.

The La Scala II is an improvement.  The thicker cabinet will reduce cabinet resonances in the bass horn at higher output levels.  The Belle is no longer made so the La Scala ii was also dressed up to provide better cosmetics.  The La Scala II is shown below and the used prices will run quite a bit more than the original.

La-Scala-Right-Walnut.jpg

I've got original La Scalas (as side surround speakers) and La Scala IIs.  The improvements in the IIs are very much worthwhile.  The La Scala IIs have more bass and slightly deeper bass, and they look much better.

The older La Scalas come in a "utility finish", meaning they're made of black-painted plywood held together with visible screws and nails.  That's fine for stage use, but they don't exactly dress up your listening room.  The furniture-grade veneer of the La Scala IIs, on the other hand, is really good-looking.  The thicker (1") panels look better than the 3/4" panels on the early LSes, and the grilles on the HF sections look good, too.  The extra height of the LS2s (they're 38-1/2" tall, while the early originals are 34-1/2" tall) makes the sound seem a little bigger, or at least more like the musicians are playing on stage, and not on the floor in front of you.

Since the LS2s have only been out since 2006, there are not that many pairs on the used market yet, but they are out there.  I found a pair in 2013, and I'm very happy with them.

As for Klipschorns and false corners, that's certainly a good way to go.  In the instruction leaflets that come with Heritage Series speakers, the instructions on how to build false corners are sometimes included, so it's in effect a factory-authorized option if you don't have ideal corners in your home.