I may be exiled and stoned for this...

Grizzog

On 11/13/2016 at 6:50 AM, Grizzog said:

Now here is where I will receive my beatings as I describe what I don't like about the khorn:

First, it is, more than any other speaker, room dependent. If your room is too small, forget it - they will be a muffled mess.

If your room is too big, you need a center fill - don't want it, just want 2 channel. Being that it uses the walls and floor as an extension of itself, your walls literally become the speaker and impart a sound all their own. You will hear the room. 

Second, everything is big. An orchestra should sound huge, and the khorn nails this like no other. A single musician with a guitar should sound small - yet the khorn presents it as larger than life. I guess it leads to my first point again, but unless you've got everything perfect, there's no imaging to speak of. 

I'm glad I found this post again.  I have been fiddling with my Khorns, upgrading to the A/4500 XO and adding a different HF horn.

No matter the changes I make I find your statement (bolded, muffled mess) more true the more I change things.  I do have a smaller room and I do have a muffled mess.  My problem is, it's not always a muffled mess.

I find I can greatly alter the sound with placement and choice of AVR listening modes, all in 2-channel, Stereo, Mono and Pure Audio.  I can use the AVR to EQ some problems out as well.  And we haven't even mentioned source material, in this case mostly TV (spoken voice).

I have a hard time blaming the Khorns for anything where there are a TON of variables which are affecting the sound so much.

• Like 1

I agree. I certainly don't blame the Khorns for anything. It's just that all those variables have to fall into place for you to get the optimal experience. I feel the Chorus II are able to give you most of their performance in a variety of situations.

• Like 1

I have heard Khorns twice one highly moded pair that were excellent, and a stock pair. I don't think the stock pair was anywhere near the performance of jubs, the modded pair in the sweet spot was much closer. The one thing that really surprised me for a very large speaker  the khorns sweet spot was very small. I could move my head 6"s and it would change the imaging. Also, if you went to the back of the room say 30' away a lot of the sound disappeared and the bass changed dramatically. These traits may be just the room or the set up?

On 11/11/2016 at 9:45 PM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I would be locked up if I told you the story about the night me and some buds went out to watch this but it was a top 10 of f@#ked up nights in my life and in the early days thats a strong call lol.

• Like 1