I may be exiled and stoned for this...

Grizzog

7 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

MOST people do not want two refrigerator sized speakers sitting in their listening room!

Precisely my thoughts about Frazier Elevens.  I had a pair.  Incredible...Jub equa in sound and superior in appearance.  But refrigerator sized and still didn't do C0.

Dave

I love refrigerator sized speakers! My 19s, although not as big as jubs or Khorns, are not small in any stretch of the imagination and I love it. 

I have no issues with transparency and I enjoy that from the Khorns. 

My reasoning for choosing the Chorus II is simple: they work in more situations. 

Now here is where I will receive my beatings as I describe what I don't like about the khorn:

First, it is, more than any other speaker, room dependent. If your room is too small, forget it - they will be a muffled mess. If your room is too big, you need a center fill - don't want it, just want 2 channel. Being that it uses the walls and floor as an extension of itself, your walls literally become the speaker and impart a sound all their own. You will hear the room. 

Second, everything is big. An orchestra should sound huge, and the khorn nails this like no other. A single musician with a guitar should sound small - yet the khorn presents it as larger than life. I guess it leads to my first point again, but unless you've got everything perfect, there's no imaging to speak of. 

Now, if everything is perfect, the khorn will most likely have no mercy beating the Chorus down into a puddle of its own woofer juices. But therein lies the Chorus' biggest strength against them: they work without everything being perfect. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grizzog said:

beating the Chorus down into a puddle of its own woofer juices. 

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone would go "all technical" on us and ruin what as a fun thread! Now I have to google "woofer juices" to try to keep up.

• Like 4

Clearly I misinterpreted the original "refrigerator size speaker" comment.  K'horn isn't quite that big, IMHO.  Big, yes, but the corner placement puts them where it really doesn't matter.  Even a small pair of speakers in the corner takes up functionally the same amount of space.  The genius of the design is that it covers the entire spectrum except for the rarely heard C0 octave in the most efficient way known physics allows.  It is also the reason that anything smaller or larger violates the 8 Cardinal Points to some degree or the other.  That paper remains the sole judge of a loudspeaker aside from the ear for me.

Dave