What Book Are You Reading?

Wolfbane

Truth be told my wife got this for me to take to the hospital on Tuesday.  It was an excellent choice; not heavy in either a gravitational or a literary way.  I was able to finish it prior to Wednesday’s discharge.

AE017847-F89D-45F1-A331-7F1F4637518C.jpeg

FWIW, I  read the paperback version, not an audio edition.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Black Ice by Brad Thor.  Yet another in the Scott Harvath series, but what I like about Thor is his topicality imbedded in his plots.  This one involves the "northwest passage" or arctic route if you will.  International intrigue and its national security implications are in play.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Call sign CHAOS by retired General, Secretary of Defence Jim Mattis. Interesting, a bit too much on his leadership influences but the stories from his long career were good. Didn’t see eye to eye with two presidents and both situations did not end well. He would be interesting to meet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Black Ice by Brad Thor.  Yet another in the Scott Harvath series, but what I like about Thor is his topicality imbedded in his plots.  This one involves the "northwest passage" or arctic route if you will.  International intrigue and its national security implications are in play.

Yea, thanks for the reminder.  Knew it released on July 20th but haven't been anywhere.  I've read all of his stuff so if ya need something lemme know.  He cranks some good stuff.

3 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

Yea, thanks for the reminder.  Knew it released on July 20th but haven't been anywhere.  I've read all of his stuff so if ya need something lemme know.  He cranks some good stuff.

If you have kindle I might be able to share it to you.  I've never tried it before so I'm unsure how it works, or what is allowed.

• Thanks 1

Don't have kindle and geeky isn't me.  hahaha  I'll pick one up but prolly wait for the paperback.  Be a while for that though.  Thor cranks some good stuff!  I'm usually done in 2-3 days wanting another.  Patience is a virtue?  Bleh!  Gimme!

6 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

Don't have kindle and geeky isn't me.  hahaha  I'll pick one up but prolly wait for the paperback.  Be a while for that though.  Thor cranks some good stuff!  I'm usually done in 2-3 days wanting another.  Patience is a virtue?  Bleh!  Gimme!

You might like the Libby app. It allows you to check out digital copies of books and magazines from the library for FREE and keep the "books" for 21 days once they become available. Some of you might also like Kanopy, which allows you to borrow 6 movies a month from the library, again for FREE. If you don't already have a library card, it's easy to get one online, as a library card is required for both services.

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2021 at 12:43 PM, DizRotus said:

Although starting this prior to surgery last Tuesday, thanks to my wife’s good sense, I left it at home and took the Grisham paperback instead.  I’ll finish this while being forced to rest this week.

BE5554A9-21C5-4108-A082-657EF7C0AD67.jpeg

For balance, see Archibald MacLeish's essay To Make Men Free.  He was FDR's Librarian of Congress, won three Pulitzer Prizes  and was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom..  The essay was edited out of the edition of the book we had for class, I guess on the grounds that freedom is dangerous.  Our professor supplied us with copies of the essay, anyway.  Ah, these wiley liberal professors!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, garyrc said:

For balance, see Archibald MacLeish's essay To Make Men Free.  He was FDR's Librarian of Congress, won three Pulitzer Prizes  and was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom..  The essay was edited out of the edition of the book we had for class, I guess on the grounds that freedom is dangerous.  Our professor supplied us with copies of the essay, anyway.  Ah, these wiley liberal professors!

I take it you are not familiar with Heather Cox Richardson.

On 8/12/2021 at 6:06 PM, DizRotus said:

I take it you are not familiar with Heather Cox Richardson.

Apparently not.  I just read up on her a bit, and had I known how analytical and fair minded she is, I would never have written, "For balance ..."

• Like 1