I guess it's 2 channel....but it sounds better....

jimjimbo

15 minutes ago, SonicSeeker said:

I thought I was the only crazy one.

Hunh?  Crazy?  Maybe wacky, but not crazy..:wacko:

This has taken a long, long time to put together, lots of trades, selling, buying, wheeling and dealing.....believe me, not like it happened overnight....

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

know your favorite is the Khorns but, is it a fight between the a LaScala and  Chorus speakers.

Good question, and here's why....a couple of weeks ago, I was seriously disappointed in the Chorus II's relative to the La Scala's, driven by the same tube amp (didn't matter which ones).  As I've said in another thread, the Chorus II's just sounded very "congested" and so much less forward and clear than the LS.  Yes, I get it, different configurations and output type of speaker....but, I expected more of the Chorus II's......

However....since I acquired another MC250, and monoblocked them to the Chorus, my opinion has changed.  In that setup (and of course especially at somewhat higher listening levels), the Chorus II's really sound great.  I'm sure there are others that enjoy tubes and Chorus, but I'm gonna leave the SS on mine.  Made a big difference.

• Like 3

On Saturday, November 19, 2016 at 2:10 PM, jimjimbo said:

Super Heresys...

Forget the towels under the Heresys...take a square of that shelf/drawer liner (which is akin to neoprene) that looks like below pic, and turn the Heresys UPSIDE-DOWN atop the K-horns...with the liner between K-horn top-hats and heresy tops....try it and let me know if you like it better...

contact premium grip shelf liner.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Forget the towels under the Heresys...take a square of that shelf/drawer liner (which is akin to neoprene) that looks like below pic, and turn the Heresys UPSIDE-DOWN atop the K-horns...with the liner between K-horn top-hats and heresy tops....try it and let me know if you like it better...

I second this. I actually like to use old yoga mats. Turning the Heresy's upside down is a smart option as well as it brings the tweeters closer together getting closer to the 'point source' of sound.

6 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Andy, I understand what you're saying, but, I'm just not a big fan of that type of material on an oiled wood surface.  I've put somewhat similar material on other speakers, and after a while of being there, left a not so nice mark, which then had to be refinished.

And about turning over the Heresy's...if they were "normal" Heresy's, I would probably try that, but, they are not normal.  These are the "Super Heresy's" that ClaudeJ1 built and they are very heavy and have some special components that I would rather leave as is....I do appreciate your insight and advice.

21 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

I thought I was the only one.  I put all my speakers on towels because I never know what material would be better.  The towels don't look all that good and are the ultimate in low tech.  :(

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I thought I was the only one.  I put all my speakers on towels because I never know what material would be better.  The towels don't look all that good and are the ultimate in low tech.  :(

Towels don't stabilize the cabinet...therefore don't stabilize the drivers within them...you want driver energy to move the air, NOT the cabinet...for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.  Having the Heresys upside down when they are atop another speaker, or up high,  puts the higher end horns at ear level, while allowing for the ceiling to react as the floor normally would for bass reinforcement.  These are the points I was getting at...especially when the speaker cabinets are atop a thick wad of towel....something thinner would do better.

Try drawing yourself a diagram (commonly called a "free body diagram" in first-year engineering mechanics) of what the driver voice coils are pushing against, and the relative weight of the woofer cone vs. the loudspeaker cabinet, then run Newton's second law: F=ma, and integrate it...instead of his third law as you have alluded to.  I think that you'll quickly come to see that you're succumbing to the placebo effect (the psychological term) when talking about the negative effects of placing loudspeakers on towels and rubber feet. 

The worse case should be suspending the loudspeaker on cables, but I've noticed no ill effects at all...other than partially decoupling the woofer from boundary effect if the gap spacing with the floor becomes acoustically significant (typically...that happens near 1/4 wavelength).  Spikes are the same story.  

If you are worried about towels under loudspeaker cabinets, but not about what frequency-dependent passive network reactance is doing to your fidelity, you might reconsider your views on what's truly important in hi-fi reproduction.

Chris