TV Opinions Wanted Needed

Scrappydue

sorry haven't been around much guys, have had life going on. however now i have been injured working on my basement, and am having some relax time with computer on my lap. so been wanting a bigger tv for some time in my living room. nothing wrong with 50" Kuro at all just wanting bigger. want the Kuro to go in the guest room since its a good tv and has a great sound to it without having to have external speakers. wish all tv's came with this capable of a sound bar. 

So i watch a ton of videos on samsung vs sony, and I'm pretty set on the sony of the two. Both seem to be about the most popular. if money was no object id get the 65" oled. i could prolly swing the 55" but 1800 seems a bit to gain 5". 

was looking at the sony 750 and 850 models. 750d is 998$ on amazon for 65" 850d is 898 for 55" or 1398 for 65" 

id rather buy on amazon to not pay tax plus they have enhanced delivery where it seems as if someone will deliver inside my home and plug in to test before leaving. seems as if this would be about the safest to not get a cracked panel in the mail or something. i am gonna sign un for the store card which will get me 5% off plus 40$ for signing up. so i could get the 850d 65" for roughly 1290$

opinions please?

First of all, sorry about your injury.  Hope you make a full recovery.

+++

What is your philosophy? 

• Do you buy cheap then replace rather than repair after 3 years?
  • Do you like to get good quality and keep for ten years?
  • Or do you set a budget then try to get the most bang-for-your-buck at that price point?
  • Other?

FYI mine is the first one.

Sorry to hear about the injury Scrappy, hopefully you make a quick and full recovery! 

I have gone from Sony to Samsung to Sony to Samsung. In all honesty, I have had fantastic luck with both brands. I would probably go with whichever brand that is offering the best discount on the higher end models at the time of your purchase. 

I bought the the set in my signature with a 4 year, in house warranty for just under $2K and it is a older model, it can probably be had for much less now. 

Also, the Amazon Store Card is great! 

I've leaned Samsung 8000 series but now I'm considering Sony. I'm doing my basement for a multipurpose dedicated room. I'm still on the fence about projector with a 110" 16.9 or 75" 4K. My room is 21x14. Thought it was wider but not the case after moving in last week. I'm also putting everything on the long wall. I know it breaks all the rules but it just works out better imo. Plus there is a small window I'd have to block which I don't really want to do. So I'm undecided on the video. Really like the 940D full array instead of edge lit like the 850 plus the blacks on the 940 are much better. Also can move right into 4K unlike a projector where true 4k is ridiculously priced. I'll be sitting roughly 11-12 ft away. 

After owning Kuros and Panasonic plasmas, I just can't bring myself to buy an LED. They just look awful to me. 

So while I'm waiting for a nice OLED to drop into my price range, I upgraded my 50" Kuro to a used 65" Panasonic VT60 plasma. Very satisfied. 

Just ordered the Samsung UN65KS9500 through my EPP website.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/166974-help-samsung-59-plasma-took-a-dump/&page=4

Not sure what your needs are but I am sure whatever TV you get will not compete with your projector/screen for your time with movie watching.

If you are used to the inky blacks of your Kuro, then the Sony 850D with it's IPS screen will disappoint.

I did a ton of research in the last 14 days and came very close to getting this model only it would have been the 65".

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-60-class-60-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-silver/5146900.p?skuId=5146900

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN60KS8000-60-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01DRPWTLC?th=1

Bill

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Do you buy cheap then replace rather than repair after 3 years?

id rather buy something that will last. 

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Do you like to get good quality and keep for ten years?

dont we all. 

2 hours ago, K5SS said:

I bought the the set in my signature with a 4 year, in house warranty for just under $2K and it is a older model, it can probably be had for much less now. 

its 1600 now or the k model of this

2 hours ago, Coleman said:

Scrappy get the 850 lol!!!

i haven't tv shopped in a while. have these sony and samsung tvs been these prices before black friday?

52 minutes ago, willland said:

I did a ton of research in the last 14 days and came very close to getting this model only it would have been the 65".

same thing bill. did you notice the prices on these non black friday modes go cheaper? seems like these are all the same price everywhere which makes me think they aren't on sale, more of a everyday "street" price

3 hours ago, Coleman said:

I've leaned Samsung 8000 series but now I'm considering Sony. I'm doing my basement for a multipurpose dedicated room. I'm still on the fence about projector with a 110" 16.9 or 75" 4K. My room is 21x14. Thought it was wider but not the case after moving in last week. I'm also putting everything on the long wall. I know it breaks all the rules but it just works out better imo. Plus there is a small window I'd have to block which I don't really want to do. So I'm undecided on the video. Really like the 940D full array instead of edge lit like the 850 plus the blacks on the 940 are much better. Also can move right into 4K unlike a projector where true 4k is ridiculously priced. I'll be sitting roughly 11-12 ft away. 

Get both!  I have an older pany 50 inch plasma and a 106 inch flip down AT screen   I dont always want to turn down the lights.  As for 4K, you may not need it. our eye angular resolution is not good enough unless you are like 8 feet away.  But then you are bending your neck back so not really doable. 

2 hours ago, Scrappydue said:

i haven't tv shopped in a while. have these sony and samsung tvs been these prices before black friday?

same thing bill. did you notice the prices on these non black friday modes go cheaper? seems like these are all the same price everywhere which makes me think they aren't on sale, more of a everyday "street" price

This is the correct question imo.  In my past experience, there is no reason to buy a TV on black Friday if you want a higher end one.  I have never seen a deal for a high-end TV that isn't available most every day of the week.  It is the lower end stuff, especially ones that are not real models but ones made specifically for black friday that are the deals.  So if having a 50" LED for $250 or $300 sounds amazing...that's black Friday.  For a quality TV the price is roughly the same all year round.  There are claims the best deals are around teh Super Bowl -- that is not due to the SB, it is due to the changeover in model years.  Just my 2c.  Don't be in a rush to buy in now if the best deal is your goal.  The same deals are available on TVs all the time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

This is the correct question imo.  In my past experience, there is no reason to buy a TV on black Friday if you want a higher end one.  I have never seen a deal for a high-end TV that isn't available most every day of the week.  It is the lower end stuff, especially ones that are not real models but ones made specifically for black friday that are the deals.  So if having a 50" LED for $250 or $300 sounds amazing...that's black Friday.  For a quality TV the price is roughly the same all year round.  There are claims the best deals are around teh Super Bowl -- that is not due to the SB, it is due to the changeover in model years.  Just my 2c.  Don't be in a rush to buy in now if the best deal is your goal.  The same deals are available on TVs all the time. 

That's why I was asking. I figured that was the case. Yeah don't want a 300 piece of junk. And not in a huge hurry. 

Fwiw, I've been keeping my eye on the Samsung 65" KS8000 for a little over a half a year...It was $2300 and I was planning on buying it when it came down to under $2,000. Then it came down to $1899 I balked again. At BBY It's listed at $1497 right now and yesterday I saw an e-bayer with a good rep sellout a ton of them for $1299. After following several of the threads at AVS it seems a lot of people like this set but also quite a few seem to think the build quality isn't up to par...

Long story short we decided the smaller TV in my sig which was bought as a stop gap measure when our larger 65" Mits RPTV bit the dust and were waiting to switch it to the bedroom when the DLP suffers the same fate--At that price I thought we would already own the KS8000 but decided to wait cuz TV watching in bed isn't that crucial (and still works) and in the HT listed below still enjoy movies, but mostly listen to multichannel music...That said, must admit another 65" monitor would be nice but can't justify the cost at this time.

Scrappy, I bought the Sony 850C 65" last year. I don't believe there is much a difference in the new model. I've had it for a year with no issues.

i am very happy with the tv. I went to AVS forums to tune the color in. Lots of knowledgeable people there. Very good with HDR I get off amazon video service. I have my receiver plugged into the ARC HDMI input on the tv. It works flawlessly. 

The Android app is the best smart tv application I've had on  a tv.  I also bought mine on Amazon to save money on the taxes.

Very happy with it.  No issues. Bought it to replace a Samsung which zonked out after 13 months due to an capacitor issue Samsung knew about. Out of warranty and they wouldn't do anything about it.....

Here's a new question. Am I gonna benefit from anything on these newer models if I have ZERO and I mean Zero desire to go to a UHD player or upgrade to a 4K pass through receiver? Or am I then just paying more money for a model for better blacks and then never really using the tv as it was intended? 

12 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

I bought my old Sony XBR 46" 2K on a Black Friday in 2006 and it's still cranking just fine. I am thinking about a new one but can't find any 21 x 9's. I wouldn't care if it was 2K, 4K, or 100K or OLED I would buy it.

JJK

Is that a 2.35 tv? I agree I'd buy one of those in a heart beat as well. I've thought of just buying another projector and getting a 2.35 screen upstairs like the theater lol