April Madness 2017

DizRotus

The late night games are interesting.  Oregon looked bad and had to come from behind to beat URI.

Cincy over UCLA by 3 at the half.

#2 Duke in real trouble with 5 minutes left down 57-66 to #7 South Carolina.

3 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Gonzaga all the way to the final 4!!!

That won't be possible.  They only have one game left. 

+++

Eighteen brackets still not busted out of 18 million.  The lowest remaining seed is #11 Ex-Zavier. 

The Big 12 has three teams in the Sweet 16, #1Kansas, #3 Baylor, #4 WVU.  Impressive but predictable.

PAC 12 has three, #2 Arizona, #3 Oregon, #3 UCLA.  All expected to be in the top 16.

The Big 10 has three teams in the Sweet 16, #4Purdue, #8 Wisconsin and #9 Michigan.  Not expected, and with Wisconsin taking out #1 Villanova and Michigan taking out #2 Louisville, very impressive! 

SEC with three teams, #2 Kentucky, #4 Florida and #7 South Carolina, the latter beating #2 Duke.

I can't believe 18 people picked South Carolina to beat Duke.  Who are these crazy people? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I can't believe 18 people picked South Carolina to beat Duke.  Who are these crazy people? 

Gamecock fans.  

More than 18 people picked South Carolina over Duke, but their brackets were busted elsewhere.  In the early part of their first game, it looked like South Carolina was going down to Marquette.

Not wanting to be a Kansas U homer but living just 30 miles from campus I certainly follow them closely. Not sure people are noticing but KU has scored 190 points in the first two games. When these guys get on a roll they put points up in bunches. But I have also seen the opposite throughout the year when you wonder how they are ranked in the top five and play like a thirty seed. 

If and with KU it is a big if they continue like this they will be very hard to overlook to the Final Four.

• Like 1

Hold on a second there wvu80, "Eighteen brackets still not busted out of 18 million.  The lowest remaining seed is #11 Ex-Zavier. 

It's Zavier, like Zenia Ohio, but with a X . Ask Huggs, Zavier beat him enough time he should be hearing it in his dreams.....

Mark,

Proud papa of a 2015 Xavier grad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JL Sargent said:

How bout Baylor vs South Carolina? Tell me about those two.

Since Baylor is Big 12 along with West Virginia I've watched them all year long.

At one point Baylor was undefeated when everyone else had a loss so by default they were voted national #1.  Baylor lost the very next game to WVU by 21 points.  I always thought they were like Gonzaga, good win/loss record but I thought they were overrated. 

I thought Baylor became a good basketball team AFTER they got knocked down a wrung of two.  Still, they are overrated and can be beat by any of the teams still in the sweet 16.

I don't know anything about South Carolina.

13 minutes ago, cincymat said:

Hold on a second there wvu80, "Eighteen brackets still not busted out of 18 million.  The lowest remaining seed is #11 Ex-Zavier. 

It's Zavier, like Zenia Ohio, but with a X . Ask Huggs, Zavier beat him enough time he should be hearing it in his dreams.....

Mark,Proud papa of a 2015 Xavier grad.

I was educated in West Virginia public schools, I was taught it was pronounced Zay-vier, so you and I are simpatico.

I make fun of the way the announcers  pronounced Xavier's name at one of their games, half the time starting with EX and half the time using ZAY.  I commented at the time you'd think the announcers would have discussed that in a pre-production meeting and gotten it right, or at the very least, pronounce it one way and one way only.

No intent to demean the school, it's fine, and so is their cool name.  B)

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I was educated in West Virginia public schools, I was taught it was pronounced Zay-vier, so you and I are simpatico.

I make fun of the way the announcers  pronounced Xavier's name at one of their games, half the time starting with EX and half the time using ZAY.  I commented at the time you think the announcers would have discussed that in a per-production meeting and gotten it right, or at the very least, pronounce it one way and one way only.

No intent to demean the school, it's fine, and so is their cool name.  B)

I was only kidding you. The announcers make my daughter nuts with their varied pronunciations of Xavier. My personal favorite is "Eggs-avier" Jim Nance just can't help himself.

Mark

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

UNC Tar Heels tonight

UNC Friday at 7:09 v Butler.  I know you can't wait for a UNC win. ;)

+++

For the sweet 16, who's a lock and who is a potential upset?

For tonight I think Gonzaga is on upset alert vs #4 WVU and #2 Arizona should be able to take care of the #11 X-men.

For Friday night I think UNC's talent should easily overcome #4 Butler and #3 Baylor can be beat by #7 South Carolina.

• Like 1