Klipschorn false corners

dtr20

I've seen and downloaded the document regarding false corners from PWK. Are 2x4s and plywood really the best option? I would think that 3/4" our 1" mdf might be a good option as well (better WAF). Just curious on some if your thoughts. I have done some searching and came across both options.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EMRR said:

I would also think mdf to be of good use here. 

On false corners, I've thought loosely about applying them to La Scala bottoms with the tops turned around the other way.  Maybe that's crazy, but seems it would apply.  

http://www.klipschupgrades.com/lascala.shtml

Your post reminded me of this

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

Just to clarify, I was wondering if I can use just mdf without the 2x4 structured frame?

No, the 2x4's add a specific resonance at a specific frequency that I am not privileged to disclose...

Of course you can.  I use solid core doors that I picked up at Habitat for Humanity.  They weigh a ton, but they work like a charm.....Ask Mark Zeus, he's heard em.....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

No, the 2x4's add a specific resonance at a specific frequency that I am not privileged to disclose...

Of course you can.  I use solid core doors that I picked up at Habitat for Humanity.  They weigh a ton, but they work like a charm.....Ask Mark Zeus, he's heard em.....

The doors make a huge difference in sound and are pretty well hidden for those of you who care about looks

Mark

4 minutes ago, ricktate said:

I just used 3/4 inch ply with walnut veneer applied to it then fastened it to one side of one speaker. Because one of my Ks is next to open space and it seems to work just fine .IMG_0034.JPG

I haven't seen this before, I'm sure it sounds much better. Now the question for all the golden ears here. Would the sound be improved if Rick were to make that 4 feet long?  ;);)

Mark

40 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:
1 hour ago, dtr20 said:

Just to clarify, I was wondering if I can use just mdf without the 2x4 structured frame?

Darn you to heck!

You do know, don't you, that I believe everything you say.  :P

12 hours ago, ZEUS121996 said:

I haven't seen this before, I'm sure it sounds much better. Now the question for all the golden ears here. Would the sound be improved if Rick were to make that 4 feet long?  ;);)

Mark

Well the 70th anniversary  ones have enclosed backs that are not even as long as the one I put on. Plus if I made it 4 feet I could not walk into the kitchen..lol. Just so you know this pic was before I refinished the hard wood floors. Those floors were 55 years old at that time. I grew up in that same house. The splotchy walnut in the picture is a weird effect for some reason not sure why it looks so bad in pic.

Oh yea that's a LaScala sitting n front of it incase you want a size reference.

I used 2 - 4'x 8' panels of 1" MDF and birch plywood, cut in half and married together with a sound-damping material (similar to Dynamat) sandwiched in between. I used maple blocks to brace and hold the corners together but they're heavy and a bear to move around. I was too lazy to veneer the birch so I just stained it to be slightly darker than the Khorns' walnut finish and painted the MDF to match the walls. Later, when I replaced the Khorn tops with Oris horns, I used walnut slabs on the top and bottom to enclose the bass bins and used walnut braces to attach the false corners to the bins (see avatar). The result was even heavier but to my surprise, they were more solid and much easier to move and position.  

As I recall, PWK suggested false corners if the Khorns couldn't be placed in solid corners and specified that the horns needed the extended 'wings' to complete the wave and get the most out of the bass. I found the wings not only lowered the frequency of the bins but also tightened up the bass quite a bit. The other bonus was that I was no longer constrained to the room's corners and could position the speaks to optimize soundstage, image and room acoustics. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend false corners - even with excellent corners in the room.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2016 at 8:41 PM, jimjimbo said:

I use solid core doors that I picked up at Habitat for Humanity.  They weigh a ton, but they work like a charm....

I would think they would work great. My late father picked up about five solid core doors with a beautiful red oak exterior. I used one for a desktop, back in the day when we still had CRTs. Now I have a maple workbench top that I use. Also nice and solid, but more than the $5 each my dad paid for the doors.

Bruce