Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

Last night, we went to a Christmas Music concert. This was a professional string orchestra, with a really good director, the venue was a rather small church, there was no amplification. So you can call this analogue and acoustic in the purest sense, or as PWK would say, not a caricature of music, but the real thing. Part One was Vivaldi, Mozart etc, Part Two was film music (Johann Johannsson, James Newton Howard, John Williams, and then of course also some classics of the Christmas music genre).

I always enjoy these concerts in se, but I also listen very critically to the way it sounds. It's a way of 'callibrating' my ears and brain to live, accoustic music. In this case, I noticed that there was in fact very little 'stereo' or 'left/right' separation, thanks to the church accoustics, I guess. Maybe I wasn't ideally seated? Maybe the extreme left/rigth separation you can hear on some recordings is unreal, unnatural, exaggerated?

PSX_20221218_153251.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MeloManiac said:

Tokyo Tapes is from the 1970s, when both Schenker brothers were still in the band. Two great guitar players!

& in synch much like the Incredible NHL's Sedin Twins!

NOTWORHTY.gif

👍👍 Nice Christmas Program y'all went to!

Agreed, the most pure form of music and also of worship!

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, MeloManiac said:

Last night, we went to a Christmas Music concert. This was a professional string orchestra, with a really good director, the venue was a rather small church, there was no amplification. So you can call this analogue and acoustic in the purest sense, or as PWK would say, not a caricature of music, but the real thing. Part One was Vivaldi, Mozart etc, Part Two was film music (Johann Johannsson, James Newton Howard, John Williams, and then of course also some classics of the Christmas music genre).

I always enjoy these concerts in se, but I also listen very critically to the way it sounds. It's a way of 'callibrating' my ears and brain to live, accoustic music. In this case, I noticed that there was in fact very little 'stereo' or 'left/right' separation, thanks to the church accoustics, I guess. Maybe I wasn't ideally seated? Maybe the extreme left/rigth separation you can hear on some recordings is unreal, unnatural, exaggerated?

PSX_20221218_153251.jpg

Stereo separation in a classical orchestra is slight and dependent on the size and number of instruments that can fit on the stage 

Electronic music in a live setting has greater separation affect as it can be mixed in on the sound check 

The main thing is that room acoustics can distort the way the sound waves reach your ears 

But as always - if you like what you hear - then just sit back and enjoy 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Full Range said:

The main thing is that room acoustics can distort the way the sound waves reach your ear

JA , the best gear doesn´t help if the room acoustic is bad .

btw @MeloManiac  once I opened a thread in view to room acoustic in the KC ..or more simply said ...the system sounds only as good as the listening room makes it possible, here you can read a little bit if you like

• Like 3

I had forgotten that I have two records from them . Never had a relationship for Tull , except to their world smash hit " Locomotive Breath " . Due to all the proposals in this Thread I´m closer to their Music . I own two records only . M.U " Best of Tull " and " This was " , long time ago that I spun them here . It is a good overall cross section of their music

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Time to unzip this bad boy.  :)

Third Degree is an album by Johnny Winter , released in 1986 and the last of his trilogy on Alligator Records . For the occasion, Winter temporarily reunited with former bandmates Tommy Shannon and Uncle Red Turner for three of Third Degree's songs. Another notable guest is Dr. John , who is featured in "Love, life and money" and "Tin pan alley." Also included on the album were two acoustic songs, for which Johnny Winter practiced for months on a National Steel Guitar (Evil on my mind and Bad girl blues).

20221216-210543.jpg

Killer!  Enjoy the shred!  :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Niiii:emotion-29:ce

Dave... and Andre!

That teddy lp even outshines his Catscratch Fever record and it isn't a weak release.

Give Derek St Holmes his due with his singing, Meatloaf outranks him!

"Don't You Know, I Love You So I Told You A Lie"

And they think we don't recognize it for that when we hear it!

:D:lol::P

he he he we're just....

Rock On Brothers!

Edited by JohnJ
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Niiii:emotion-29:ce

Dave... and Andre!

That teddy lp even outshines his Catscratch Fever record and it isn't a weak release.

Give Derek St Holmes his due with his singing, Meatloaf outranks him!

"Don't You Know, I Love You So I Told You A Lie"

And they think we don't recognize it for that when we hear it!

:D:lol::P

he he he we're just....

Rock On Brothers!

I went like:" Wait, that sounds like...", looked at the cover, and yes, Meatloaf. Still have to get one of his LPs on vinyl. I´d like to have "Bat out of Hell" on red vinyl, but it´s way too many $$$.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Vinyl christmas shopping this morning in my local record store , all sec.hand , paid close to 100 € for all. After I came back home I directly washed them with my Nitty Gritty RCM . I always stick a red point in the lower left corner from the outer sleeves, than I now which were washed .  After washing I change the inner sleeves as well .

weihnachtsvinylkleiner.thumb.jpg.394e13e55ca5e10cabdeaa2bfbca5c48.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, MicroMara said:

Vinyl christmas shopping this morning in my local record store , all sec.hand , paid close to 100 € for all. After I came back home I directly washed them with my Nitty Gritty RCM . I always stick a red point in the lower left corner from the outer sleeves, than I now which were washed .  After washing I change the inner sleeves as well .

voyage of the acolyte...

Marillion fugazi

• Like 4