Sonicap vs Dayton audio caps

Ljk

When to rebuild my chorus II xover only find out it has already been done with Dayton audio caps. The t 5 and the iron core inductors have also been replaced with Dayton parts. Just curious how the Dayton caps would compare to BC sonicaps? Thanks!

15 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

What made you want to rebuild them in the first place?   Did they sound bad?

Have not  listen to them since I bought them. Was told the tweeters were upgraded with Bob crites tt but did not know about the xovers. Speakers are old and do not want to have to mess with them down the road. 

I've tested a dozen of expensive caps during the years. from Mundorf and Jantzen, Sonicap, Dayton, Duelund, Audyn, V-Cap, Clarity Cap, Auricap and some other general caps like Wima, Rifa, Erose, Epcos, Nichicon, Rubycon ... you name it. Sonicaps and Jantzen Superior Z-Cap are my favorites. I would not spend big money on caps anymore. even Jantzen Crosscap which is a pretty cheap caps sounds damn good. if I want something a little more expensive I would chose Sonicaps or Superior Z-cap.

just my two cents

5 hours ago, Arash said:

I've tested a dozen of expensive caps during the years. from Mundorf and Jantzen, Sonicap, Dayton, Duelund, Audyn, V-Cap, Clarity Cap, Auricap and some other general caps like Wima, Rifa, Erose, Epcos, Nichicon, Rubycon ... you name it. Sonicaps and Jantzen Superior Z-Cap are my favorites. I would not spend big money on caps anymore. even Jantzen Crosscap which is a pretty cheap caps sounds damn good. if I want something a little more expensive I would chose Sonicaps or Superior Z-cap.

just my two cents

I purchased 2 kits from Bob, 1 for my chorus 1 and 1 for chorus 2. Did not know the 2s where already done, would sonicaps be better then the Dayton caps? I know the 1 and 2s will sound difference  but do you think the different caps will make a noticable difference. The 2 s will be my mains and the 1s will be rear surrounds about 18 ft apart. 

Ljk,

The problem is the description of what is superior.  If they sound different (which will not be major but the 5% you may be looking for), you will have to try them to know your preferences.  Everyone's ears are different.

With that if you paid good money for just to play, you have to decide if the swapping is going to provide you with some benefit, even if it is just the benefit of experimentation. 

I've used both caps but in different speakers and felt they were both excellent. Since you already have the kits and plan on using both sets of speakers in the same room I'd probably rebuild both with the Crites kits just to keep them the same. I ran the same set up (Chorus II up front, I's for rears) for a short time and it was a pretty incredible set up. I have to say after comparing the I's and II's side by side I felt they really sounded more similar than different, I mean the II's weren't run away better as everyone would seems to believe. Sure, the II's hit slightly lower bass but everything else sounded very close to even. Very nice set up, congrats!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I've used both caps but in different speakers and felt they were both excellent. Since you already have the kits and plan on using both sets of speakers in the same room I'd probably rebuild both with the Crites kits just to keep them the same. I ran the same set up (Chorus II up front, I's for rears) for a short time and it was a pretty incredible set up. I have to say after comparing the I's and II's side by side I felt they really sounded more similar than different, I mean the II's weren't run away better as everyone would seems to believe. Sure, the II's hit slightly lower bass but everything else sounded very close to even. Very nice set up1, congrats!

OK 1 vote to change out to crites. I have not listen to the 2s yet but I like the 1s, tight snappy bass. I put 4 by 7 inch tubes in the ports clicked the bass up to 6db and sounds good to me. Not a real low bass but fast and blends in good with the mids and tweets

Did you run any side speakers with that set Up? I have a pair of kp 250s I am going to try but not sure if I will need them. 

I have used both.  Dayton most recently.  I rebuilt two sets of networks with the 1% Daytons.  The good thing is they are supposed to be accurate values and are very inexpensive.  Have a cool look to them as well.  The networks were AAs and I tested them in a lascala.  They sounded good and we played them for a couple of hours.  I was impressed for the price.

When we put my DeanG built Super AA back in though it sounded much more open and detailed and that network was built with Audiocaps.  Far superior IMHO.

However, I have also built several networks with Sonicaps, but not recently.  IMHO a Sonicap is a higher quality capacitor,  and should sound more detailed and transparent than a Dayton.  You will also pay much more for Sonicaps.  But they don't break the bank and you should only have to buy them once.

If the priority is good sound I would pick a Sonicap over a Dayton.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jason str said:

I would leave the capacitors alone if they were the correct values, my worries would lean towards if they used the correct inductors as well.

Better safe than sorry.

I compared  my crossover to a pic on the net and looks like the inductors have not been replaced. (Good news actually) I have to take the crossover part of the way down to check cap values so I am just going to replace with bobs kit. Thanks for the help, now I have figure out what to do with the DAYTON caps.

1 hour ago, jason str said:

I have used Dayton capacitors many times over with good results.

Not saying the Daytons are not any good but I have bob kits to both the chorus 1 and 2s. Also building a chorus center with one of bobs kit. (Still have to order inductors and such.)Though about leaving the Daytons in but since I have to tear down xover to check valves might as well replace them. Not sure what to do with the Dayton caps, would like to sell but can not be sure of condition. 

10 hours ago, Ljk said:

I compared  my crossover to a pic on the net and looks like the inductors have not been replaced. (Good news actually) I have to take the crossover part of the way down to check cap values so I am just going to replace with bobs kit. Thanks for the help, now I have figure out what to do with the DAYTON caps.

If you already have them build each crossover with different caps.  Compare the sound and build with the cap you like the best.

4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

If you already have them build each crossover with different caps.  Compare the sound and build with the cap you like the best.

The 2s are done the 1 s are not, going to do the 1s tonight and put in the tt. Guess it would interesting to hear the difference no matter which way I go. I will get this done tonight and let you know how they sound.

Just had another thought, I could put an 1 xover from the 2 into the 1. Might give me a better idea of which sounds better. I know there are slight difference in xovers so bad or good idea?