What will I lose/miss? KLF-10 to La Scala

Hibby

I currently have a set of KLF-10s driven by a Sony STR-DE845 that I absolutely love. They're supplemented by a 20'ish year old Infinty BU-150 sub. The sound, to me, is just stunning. However, I feel driven to experience a pair of La Scalas (AL-4) just because I have read so many positive things about them. If I swap them out, what will I miss/gain/lose? Is it true that I absolutely must drive these with a tube type amp? If so, can these types of amps be purchased reasonably? Anyone want to convince me not to make the switch?

• Like 1

I do actually try to talk people out of switching from something they absolutely love and find stunning. BUT..... everyone should experience the La Scalas although not for everyone, they are worth the experience. Don't sell your other speakers until you are convinced. If you truly love them, you will find a place for them somewhere in your home. You will probably want to upgrade your receiver / amp but you need that Sony to run the KLF 10's somewhere. Doesn't have to be a tube amp (answers may vary on that point). Roger may have exaggerated slightly, it's not up there with your first piece of a**, but it's close.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hibby said:

I currently have a set of KLF-10s driven by a Sony STR-DE845 that I absolutely love. They're supplemented by a 20'ish year old Infinty BU-150 sub. The sound, to me, is just stunning. However, I feel driven to experience a pair of La Scalas (AL-4) just because I have read so many positive things about them. If I swap them out, what will I miss/gain/lose? Is it true that I absolutely must drive these with a tube type amp? If so, can these types of amps be purchased reasonably? Anyone want to convince me not to make the switch?

I love the la Scala.  The only thing you may miss is the bass punch of the KLF-10, they dig deeper than the La Scala.

However, if you already use a sub, this is a non issue.  I was told get Cornwalls for the bass, I got La Scalas before Cornwalls, the midrange horn in the la Scala is too good to pass up.

So, if bass is lacking for you upgrade the sub.

Is this for movies or music or both?

A tube amp is not a must.  Try it with the Sony for now.  I love mine with my Sansui AU-719, Yamaha MX-1000, etc.  

Another member here just got La Scalas and picked up a McIntosh 250 and is very happy, they are reasonably priced.

You can venture into tubes as well, a lot of people here have a lot more knowledge than I do on the subject.

I can recommend Amps and Sound little ben, Cary CAD-808 and the McIntosh MC30 monoblocks.

Pick up the La Scalas, they are one of the few speakers I still have sellers remorse over and I still have a few pairs.

• Like 1

It was a bit of an expensive venture for me (about $2k total) when I put my KLF20's in another system. But these could satisfy your craving for the best of both worlds, the Cornscala. Bob can built the cabs and set you up with all the internals. Or you can find a pair of donor Cornwalls to start with. Dave Harris can set you up with the mid horns.

IMG_20170624_200223.jpg

34 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

It was a bit of an expensive venture for me (about $2k total) when I put my KLF20's in another system. But these could satisfy your craving for the best of both worlds, the Cornscala. Bob can built the cabs and set you up with all the internals. Or you can find a pair of donor Cornwalls to start with. Dave Harris can set you up with the mid horns.

20170624_135358_002.jpg

Very interesting. I had not heard of these until now. The La Scalas are coming regardless. Thanks for info.

26 minutes ago, Hibby said:

Opusk2k9, primarily music if not exclusively. 

Then, for me the bass isn't a huge deal for mostly music.  Plus, you already use a sub in your setup.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the La Scala.

It depends on what type of music you listen to and the size of the room the speakers will go in. If you like bass heavy music like Hip Hop or Electronic Music then you will most likely want a subwoofer to go with the La Scalas or you will notice a fairly pronounced lack of bass compared to your KLF-10s. For acoustic music and even rock and roll I typically turn my sub off with my LaScalas as the clean sound is more important than the lowest octave. What you will gain is a totally new sense of how you experience music. If set up properly, you will literally be able to close your eyes and 'see' people performing in your living room and hear tiny nuanced sounds like fingers sliding on a guitar fret board. The best way to describe it is with other speakers you hear a guitar, with LaScalas you hear someone PLAYING a guitar. I used to be big into Home Theater but since getting my LaScalas I now have it set up as an exclusive 2 channel rig. I still cant find a movie as compelling as listening to music on these speakers for hours.

As for tube amps, I would say they are not needed. Many here love the synergistic effects of the tube reverb from the high efficiency speakers but I have not jumped on that wagon. My favorite combo is a high quality DAC with an integrated tube and a quality Class D amp. Class D is crystal clear when not driven hard and with my 20 watt Lepai I usually cant turn it past 25% without going into painful SPL levels. Personally, I would keep your sony and use it as a Pre-amp and have it run any surround channels etc then use the Pre-outs to run it into a Class D amp like one of these:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120-class-t-mini-amplifier-60-wpc--300-3800

• Like 1

The klf10s have a ton of bass punch. The la scalas will probably be better in every other way. If you want to experiment, try running both at the same time, but disconnect the tweeter wires inside the klf10s. That way you get the punch from the klf, and you get the clarity and details from the la scalas. It may compliment each other really well, or it could sound like crap.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Schu said:

if you love the KLF10, you will hate the La Scala... at least initially.

I wouldn't necessarily say hate. But I would venture to guess the scalas would be too bright for you compared to the klf. On my Sony integrated amp that's running my belles, I really lower the treble. My khorns have Crites ct125 tweeters and I leave the source for that flat.

• Like 1

What will you miss?  The simple answer is: non-fully-horn-loaded sound.

What will you gain?  The simple answer is: fully-horn-loaded sound.

IMHO, fully-horn-loaded sound trumps the opposite every time in every way....especially in the case of LaScalas!  You will hear things you never heard before from the same music you have been listening to for years.  Accuracy and efficiency are the largest gains.  There is always a downside to everything...so...in a nutshell, here it is:  With the fully-horn-loading of the LaScala speakers, you may find that some of your favorite music sounds worse than before simply because you will easily be able to discern poorly-recorded stuff from well-recorded stuff....because the LaSclas let you hear it all...good or bad.  Garbage-in=garbage-out, to put it bluntly.  That is the downside of accuracy and efficiency in loudspeakers.  But the overall gains far out-strip any losses incurred.

• Like 3

On 6/25/2017 at 8:01 PM, dtr20 said:

I wouldn't necessarily say hate. But I would venture to guess the scalas would be too bright for you compared to the klf. On my Sony integrated amp that's running my belles, I really lower the treble. My khorns have Crites ct125 tweeters and I leave the source for that flat.

Very likely what they will need to do.  Cut the top end some unless you can balance the bottom end with the Sony.

• Moderators
21 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

IMHO, fully-horn-loaded sound trumps the opposite every time in every way....

100% true, especially with less distortion and effortless sound, they just have to work much easier= lower distortion.  

imo