Hurricane Harvey 2017

wvu80

8 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Any thoughts or ideas?

Highway 6 is under water.  Beltway 8 is under water.  The Barker dam opens just west of Hwy 6, and Buffalo Bayou flows right under it.  All this is just south of I-10.  The bayou crosses all the other south-bound roads, all the way to Loop 610.  Loop 610 is open.  I hear 59 South is open at least as far south as Beltway 8.  My brother just drove it.  

The map seems to show it's open the rest of the way.  I'd be concerned about Hwy 6 south of 59.  IIRC, it's low around there.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jeff Matthews said:

My brother just drove it.

He was trying to get from Westheimer to Katy.  He couldn't by Highway 6.  He couldn't to the west because GWB Park is probably 25 feet under water.  He went east to BWY 8.  Not open northbound.  He went southbound BWY to 59 North, to 610 W Loop North, to I-10 West.

Keep in mind one direction of a road might be blocked, while the other is not.  This could still pose a real problem because you need to know open paths in, plus open paths out.

Travis, if you try it I'd want to be in a big honkn' 4WD vehicle capable of high water and making detours if necessary.  I suspect that it is possible to take a route from Austin to Sugarland but it might be circuitous and would certainly have some tough going.

Looks like the rain is about done in Houston if Harvey keeps moving.  Longer you wait, better the chances.

Dave

I wish there was something that we could do to provide immediate help.  To all of you stuck in this event, just ask and we will try to help.  There are so many people that I know here in Ohio, that feel compelled to do something, but don't know what that something should be. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Houston Friends, I need some help urgently.

I have close and dear friends flying into Austin tomorrow at noon and I need to drive them to their home in Colony Lakes (Highway 6/Dew9alt area).  They are high and dry as it the rest of the area, however, getting there is going to be the issue.  Flying them down isn't going to work because of logistical issues.  

So how to get to Sugarland area from Austin is the big question at this point.

This is the source I have been using which is hopefully accurate https://drivetexas.org/#/12/29.7243/-95.6124?future=false

290 looks good down to Cypress right now.  99 south from 290 is showing closed right now but forecast to open by noon tomorrow.  I am thinking 290 to 99 South, and then trying to figure out a way to cut over to 6 south.

Any thoughts or ideas?  @Mallette @Jeff Matthews  ?????

Get @rockhound to bring a chopper.  No way I'd be out driving in this crap.

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Travis, per TV, all in-bound lanes at 290 and Barker Cypress are closed.  290 outbound is open.

Friends of my friend provided the following information to them, they got out to Austin today from Riverstone by driving this Route: Hwy 6, 69, 610 to 290.  Took them 2.5 hours, they were only ones on the road.

It didn't occur to me that outbound could be wide open but inbound more restricted.

It also just occurred to me why are we going in when people are leaving that can.

Thank you so much for update.  I am hoping there is some positive news tomorrow and more roads are opening.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Everywhere there are creeks, be careful.  Don't drive.  It's easy to get locked in a maze.  Lots of that happened here, and I'm sure you've been seeing all the news coverage.

Our news has been more local, highlighting damage and flooding, not really focusing on road closures in Houston.

That TXDOT map, Google maps and you are all I have to go by.

What news station has been the best on the roads?  Maybe I can go online and look some more.