Hurricane Harvey 2017

wvu80

11 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Carl, or any Texas folks, did you hear about 2 rescue workers drowning trying to get to someone, while navigating rushing waters? The Coast Guard found them.

It takes a special person to put themselves in harms way trying to save a stranger.

For Sure.  A lot of great folks risking their own lives.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Carl, or any Texas folks, did you hear about 2 rescue workers drowning trying to get to someone, while navigating rushing waters? The Coast Guard found them.

It takes a special person to put themselves in harms way trying to save a stranger.

I hadn't heard that.  I'm sure there'll be many more tragic stories before this is over.  There are houses that are still unreachable.  My little inconveniences that I'm experiencing pale in comparison to what's going on around me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

We are out of gas in Austin.  I'm so glad there isnt a shortage.

I have plenty.   We can't go anywhere. 

My work is 20 miles from where I live.  I just watched a video taken in a marine amphibious rescue vehicle of the highway I travel.  There's still about 5 feet of water covering it.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

I have plenty.   We can't go anywhere. 

My work is 20 miles from where I live.  I just watched a video taken in a marine amphibious rescue vehicle of the highway I travel.  There's still about 5 feet of water covering it.

How is your son and daughter?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

How is your son and daughter?

Son here in Beaumont is staying at his in laws.  I got a picture of his house yesterday and the water didn't reach it.  There were about 10 houses out of about 70 in the subdivision that didn't flood.  It'll be a week or so before he can reach his house without a boat.  Daughter in The Woodlands didn't take on water so we're blessed.

• Like 2

Consequences nationwide:  In West Virginia a week ago a gallon of gas was $2.29.  Yesterday it was $2.49.  Today it went to $2.59.

My son said Myrtle Beach gas was $1.99 a week ago when he came home to WV for a vacation but he doesn't know current prices.  He said MB gets their gas from the Gulf area and they are worried there will a gas shortage so people are keeping their gas tanks topped off and are filling up gas cans.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I hadn't heard that.  I'm sure there'll be many more tragic stories before this is over.  There are houses that are still unreachable.  My little inconveniences that I'm experiencing pale in comparison to what's going on around me.

The guy on another forum I visit is a police offer, on a rescue team, they did lose 2 members a couple days ago. He seems really bummed, sleeps 45 minutes at a time. I believe Harvey is taking it's toll on even the toughest guys. 

This was his only response yesterday....If you have a God, please pray for my team tonight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Consequences nationwide:  In West Virginia a week ago a gallon of gas was $2.29.  Yesterday it was $2.49.  Today it went to $2.59.

My son said Myrtle Beach gas was $1.99 a week ago when he came home to WV for a vacation but he doesn't know current prices.  He said MB gets their gas from the Gulf area and they are worried there will a gas shortage so people are keeping their gas tanks topped off and are filling up gas cans.

Same here in KC as I'm sure it will be seen nearly everywhere. From around $2.20 to now 2.60. But as I told my wife the .40 -.50 rise is gas is of of little to actually No consequence as compared to the tragedy to have cause this. One has to be quite shallow to sit here in my dry house, 70 degrees and not a cloud  in the sky and bitche about paying an extra .50/gallon for gas. 

47 minutes ago, richieb said:

But as I told my wife the .40 -.50 rise is gas is of of little to actually No consequence as compared to the tragedy to have cause this. One has to be quite shallow to sit here in my dry house, 70 degrees and not a cloud  in the sky and bitche about paying an extra .50/gallon for gas. 

Quite right, I think we all feel as you do. 

Thanks for clarifying that exact sentiment in exactly that way.  

50 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

@CECAA850. VERIFIED!!! Local Emergency Management Coordinator Billy Ted Smith has confirmed that the bridge on US 96 (north of Lumberton) has collapsed. US 96 is closed into/out of Beaumont.

Do you have any links?  I don't see it on the national news.

50 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

@CECAA850. VERIFIED!!! Local Emergency Management Coordinator Billy Ted Smith has confirmed that the bridge on US 96 (north of Lumberton) has collapsed. US 96 is closed into/out of Beaumont.

I've had pictures sent to me by friends as they know this is how I get to work.

output.jpg

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I've had pictures sent to me by friends as they know this is how I get to work.

I see a parallel roadway or bridge.  I wonder if they can convert that to a two-way until the other bridge is repaired?

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I see a parallel roadway or bridge.  I wonder if they can convert that to a two-way until the other bridge is repaired?

No idea.  Structural engineers will have to clear the bridge before anything happens.  Of course the water needs to recede first.   Those roads are absolutely slammed with traffic before and after work.  Refinery workers use these roads to get to and from work.  I can't imagine the jams that will occur with that as a one lane highway .  A wreck on those roads backs up traffic for miles now as it is.

Just now, CECAA850 said:

No idea.  Structural engineers will have to clear the bridge before anything happens.

I'm sure the limited number structural engineers will be busy as heck so there is no telling when they can get to your bridge, and no telling if the remaining bridge is sound.

What a nightmare.