Hurricane Harvey 2017

wvu80

I was at Sam's Club today.  After making my purchase I was asked if I wanted to round my purchase UP to the nearest dollar to support the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund.  Of course I said "yes."

It's nice to know these mega stores are supporting relief efforts at a national level.  It's an easy way to raise funds with a lot of little donations.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Maybe they need to rethink that.

Remember Rita?

In Houston, everyone thought Rita was aimed directly at us.  Mass evacuation ensued, and many died on the roads.  In the meantime, Rita went East, and we got a little rain.  Whoa!!!  Talk about a horrible misadventure.  I think the suggestion to ride it out this time came from the bad experience from Rita.  We simply have too many people to evacuate.

23 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Remember Rita?

In Houston, everyone thought Rita was aimed directly at us.  Mass evacuation ensued, and many died on the roads.  In the meantime, Rita went East, and we got a little rain.  Whoa!!!  Talk about a horrible misadventure.  I think the suggestion to ride it out this time came from the bad experience from Rita.  We simply have too many people to evacuate.

I rode Rita out.  8 days with no electricity and scorching hot outside.  The city lost maybe half of their trees.

One thing we have learned about hurricanes is that they are not predictable.  I recall the huge storm Hugo barreling down on us only to turn south and go through SC and into Charlotte, NC.  Having lived on the coast all my life and having seen many  hurricanes Hugo was the one that concerned me the most. Years later when I traveled to Hilton Head to play golf there were trees still down everywhere. 

The worst storm to this day was Hazel in 1954 (I was 5).  It made landfall on a full moon and a full tide and packed tremendous winds.  The little coastal town of Lon Beach, NC had 311 structures prior to the storm and only 9 survived.

The only time I have evacuated it was not voluntary.  I was at the cottage at Kill Devil Hills on the Outer Banks and there was a mandatory evacuation....the day after I drove 250 miles to get there:unsure:

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I was at Sam's Club today.  After making my purchase I was asked if I wanted to round my purchase UP to the nearest dollar to support the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund.  Of course I said "yes."

It's nice to know these mega stores are supporting relief efforts at a national level.  It's an easy way to raise funds with a lot of little donations.

My bank's ATM asked if I wanted to donate money for Harvey. I didn't because I don't know how much will actually make it to the victims, chose The Red Cross instead.

10 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

One thing we have learned about hurricanes is that they are not predictable.  I recall the huge storm Hugo barreling down on us only to turn south and go through SC and into Charlotte, NC.  Having lived on the coast all my life and having seen many  hurricanes Hugo was the one that concerned me the most. Years later when I traveled to Hilton Head to play golf there were trees still down everywhere. 

The worst storm to this day was Hazel in 1954 (I was 5).  It made landfall on a full moon and a full tide and packed tremendous winds.  The little coastal town of Lon Beach, NC had 311 structures prior to the storm and only 9 survived.

The only time I have evacuated it was not voluntary.  I was at the cottage at Kill Devil Hills on the Outer Banks and there was a mandatory evacuation....the day after I drove 250 miles to get there:unsure:

I know tornados are nothing to play around with, but I hope I never feel the power of a hurricane.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

The worst storm to this day was Hazel in 1954 (I was 5).  It made landfall on a full moon and a full tide and packed tremendous winds. 

I've been through seversl.  For some reason they like to make landfall in the middle of the night.

• Like 1

---- and it appears the weather Gods have formed yet another storm, Ida. Already a hurricane and heading West but with not enough info and still too many miles to make a landfall prediction. But the east coast, Florida or heaven forbid the Gulf Might be targets. 

18 hours ago, richieb said:

---- and it appears the weather Gods have formed yet another storm, Ida. Already a hurricane and heading West but with not enough info and still too many miles to make a landfall prediction. But the east coast, Florida or heaven forbid the Gulf Might be targets. 

Keep an eye out.  Cat 3 and projected to strengthen with a more westerly track.

18 hours ago, richieb said:

Or maybe Irma;)

Just now, CECAA850 said:

Looks like an east coast storm but of course, subject to change without notice. 

Very possibly. Too far inland though got 11 inches of rain from Harvey, I have a target for Irma and might have to make the 20hr trek to lock things down shortly depending on the path.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

My bank's ATM asked if I wanted to donate money for Harvey. I didn't because I don't know how much will actually make it to the victims, chose The Red Cross instead.

My wife and I were discussing that yesterday at dinner how best to donate.  She wanted to donate to the Church of Christ, which is OK with me as I think churches do a much better job with the money than government does.   

I saw where a local business was collecting money for hurricane relief but the problem is you don't know if they keep 25% for "administrative fees."  It's a cash business, you don't know where it goes.

I suggested we donate to Sams Club/Walmart because they matched donations dollar-for-dollar up to 20 million.  That max had already been met.  In researching how best to donate the Walmart Foundation said the $20 mil would go equally to Red Cross and Salvation Army.  That is what I wanted to hear.

Walmart will donate up to $10 million in cash and product to match customer donations two to one

HOUSTON, Aug. 30, 2017 – Walmart and the Walmart Foundation have committed up to $20 million in support of relief efforts in response to the severe weather impacting the Gulf region. This includes $10 million focused on support of American Red Cross shelters and $2 million in support of the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund at the Greater Houston Community Foundation, which was announced today at a press briefing with Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner.

Walmart and the Walmart Foundation will also give additional cash and product donations totaling $10 million to support the Salvation Army, Feeding America, Convoy of Hope, Team Rubicon and the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund at the Greater Houston Community Foundation, as well as other organizations assisting food distribution, sheltering and cleanup efforts.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

My wife and I were discussing that yesterday at dinner how best to donate.  She wanted to donate to the Church of Christ, which is OK with me as I think churches do a much better job with the money than government does.   

I saw where a local business was collecting money for hurricane relief but the problem is you don't know if they keep 25% for "administrative fees."  It's a cash business, you don't know where it goes.

I suggested we donate to Sams Club/Walmart because they matched donations dollar-for-dollar up to 20 million.  That max had already been met.  In researching how best to donate the Walmart Foundation said the $20 mil would go equally to Red Cross and Salvation Army.  That is what I wanted to hear.

Good move Dave.

At least all the good news about people stepping up and helping is overshadowing the scammers.

The last damage estimate I heard was 200 billion.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

The last damage estimate I heard was 200 billion.

And I wonder if that estimate includes the many hourly workers who did not get paid because they could not get to work?  And how many businesses will shut their doors and not re-open?

The entire 2018 state budget for West Virginia is 4 billion.

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

And I wonder if that estimate includes the many hourly workers who did not get paid because they could not get to work?  And how many businesses will shut their doors and not re-open?

The entire 2018 state budget for West Virginia is 4 billion.

I'm sure there are areas that aren't even in that estimate.

100k homes in just the county Houston is in are damaged.