Hurricane Harvey 2017

wvu80

1 hour ago, Pete H said:

That's standard procedure for us anytime there's a storm that could take out power, and should be for anyone in that situation.  Pool is great to have too, unless it's frozen over in winter.  Carl, if you don't have a reverse osmosis pump, once you get through this disaster, it's a great thing to have if you need to convert your pool, or other water supply, to drinking water.  Where are your son and his family going?

Not a pump but we have a ro filter.  There's about a gallon pressurized in the tank that we can use.  It's also hooked up to our icemaker so we can melt cubes but I doubt it'll come to that. 

• Moderators

Drove to Houston yesterday (Sugarland) and returned friends' daughter to Austin airport.

Took 71 to 10 to 36 at Sealy to Spur something.  Roads were all fine, but you could see where they were underwater just the day before.  Large lakes of water still on either side of the road.  Parking lots in Sugarland under 3 feet of water, etc.

Driving down we were only car on the road on 71 except for an occasional truck that was obviously for flood relief, or a line of 6 carpet cleaning vans. Very eerie feeling.  Was good to get in and out of there so easily. I wouldn't have wanted to do it a day earlier.

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

Yes that's what I suggested prior to the storm as you may recall as it is standard procedure.

Must have glossed over that but yes, great idea.  At the time it seemed totally unnecessary as in the past we've only lost water for an extended period of time once.  Thst was due to a power outage caused by hundreds of trees falling on power lines.  We didn't have near that magnitude of wind this time.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, USNRET said:

We are flying air traffic control over the area. All the ATC radars are down so we are doing it aloft.

I was lucky I got a short window in on Monday and they had a GPS approach so didn't have to worry about everything else being down.  

I don't actually know where the major radar equipment is for Houston Center, I know there is a large instalation  in San Antonio, San Angelo, Houston, and Bryan.  

Everything is pretty much shut down except for emergency related flights and evacuation operations.

Great work y'all are doing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Driving down we were only car on the road on 71 except for an occasional truck that was obviously for flood relief, or a line of 6 carpet cleaning vans. Very eerie feeling.  Was good to get in and out of there so easily. I wouldn't have wanted to do it a day earlier.

I'm not familiar with those driving distances.  Any trouble getting gas, any gas stations open?

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I'm not familiar with those driving distances.  Any trouble getting gas, any gas stations open?

It is about 180 miles.  There was gas all along 71 which goes from airport in Austin down to I 10.  

In Sugarland (Houston suburb) the HEB grocery store was closed at 400 pm, never seen that before.

They had power and water to their house.

• Like 1

• Moderators

By the way, the Waze app was awesome.  I had always used Google maps before this but Wayz is interactive and people can update.  A "road obstruction " warning came up and sure enough there was a 2' piece of tire in the middle of the lane.  Then it pops something up asking if it is still there and you click yes or no.

I wasn't familiar with it before, but highly reccomend it for situations like this.

According to what I've heard on NPR and read in the paper, donations of $$$ are needed, rather than in-kind donations of food, clothing, etc. which need to be sorted, stored, etc.  To maximize the probability that my modest donation actually helps those in need, I sent money to Red Cross via PayPal.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tarheel said:

^^^^Kingwood, TX

Those are highway dividers on the road.

And it must have taken a lot of force to move those concrete barriers around like a toy train track!!

Water is Powerful when it wants to be!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnJ said:

Persistent too. We're getting rain that looks like a band coming off the leading remnants.

You got that right.  Luckily I haven't had a hard enough rain to see if my first attempt at sealing off where I think my little leak is coming from will be enough.

• Haha 1

Just now, oldtimer said:

You got that right.  Luckily I haven't had a hard enough rain to see if my first attempt at sealing off where I think my little leak is coming from will be enough.

Keep the toaster dry.  Don't want to have to send another one.