Anyone know anything about TV repair? Panasonic Plasma

91RS

I found someone local to me selling a 65" Panasonic Plasma TV for $50 they say got hit by lightning.  They said the TV turns on and you can see "things" but the inputs don't work and there are purple ribbons across the screen.  They said they replaced the input board and it didn't fix it.  Does anyone know anything about TV repair?  I've never done TV repair before but it can't be too hard to replace boards (provided that's all that's wrong with it).  The input/main board seems to be the most expensive board but I'm finding 5-6 other boards on eBay and TV repair parts sides that go for about $30 each.  Even if it needed all of them, that could still probably be a good deal for a 65" plasma.  I'm not sure if it's worth the risk?  They said they bought the TV new in 2013.

That's what I'm worried about, the display itself could be damaged and who knows how much that would cost even if I could find one.  The ad originally said a power surge fried it but then I asked if anything showed on the screen at all and then they said it got hit by lighting.  I just figured I'd ask in case anyone has had experience with something like this before.   I asked on AVS Forum also since they have a huge thread about this particular TV.  If it's a bad deal then no big deal.  My wife says I don't need another project anyway.  I was only interested because it's 5" larger than the TV I have an Plasma instead of LCD so it would be a slight upgrade for me.

I used to be involved repairing very heavy electronics in the old days. (Radar, Tropo, Microwave, Teletype, Movie projectors, K & L drop equipment, Fire control radar, A/G Comminications, Etc.

Trying to fix TV's nowadays is like trying to keep afloat your car in the middle of the Pacific ocean.

JJK

My experience was with computers and lightning strikes.  The lightning came in on the phone line and took out the modem (remember modems?)  Then once it was replaced, there was a cascading effect.  The video card would then fail, then the mother board.

The bottom line is that electronics damaged by lightning are trashed.  

A better use of your fifty bucks is to put it on the lottery where it will at least go to benefit senior citizens.  B)

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

The bottom line is that electronics damaged by lightning are trashed.  

Amen.

My system once took a lightning strike. Everything was plugged-in to a quality UPS/surge-protector. In fact the only item that survived the strike was the UPS.

• Like 2

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I know enough about TV repair not to attempt TV repair.

Exactly, and of all things lightning, except for shooting a hole in the TV lightning is the worst you could do to anything electronic.

I had a lightning strike a Walnut tree out back years ago and it created enough of a charge on the Ethernet cable running through the house that it zapped everything connected to the network.  On some devices it only destroyed the network card but others it wiped out everything.