SPOILER THREAD, The Last Jedi

Deang

Kathleen Kennedy of Lucasfilm has effectively killed the franchise. After watching this thing, I can't think of a single reason to bother with Episode 9.

Rian Johnson is an idiot. Didn't he watch Episode 7 before writing the screenplay for this thing?

Anyone want to start this off, or should I just list off the problems?

It's good eye candy. The only way to enjoy it is that you have to forget about The Force Awakens.

It wasn't until the next day that I realized that there was a lot that didn't make much sense. So I decided to do a search to see if anyone else had noticed this stuff. I mean, I'd only noticed three things that really bugged me -- and was blown away to find people were coming up with whole lists of problems.

"I came to this island to die", but in Episode 7, we're told that Luke loaded the map of his location into R2 in the event the day would come that they "needed him". Okay, so which is it? Why bother with the map if your plan is just to disappear and die.

Such a build up with Snoke, and the question of Rey's lineage. Poof, poof. Turns out that those subplots meant nothing.

Apparently, projecting yourself across the galaxy is pretty exhausting, and The Last Jedi dies from sweating to death on a rock. Yet, Rey and Kylo force project throughout the entire film without any issues. Seeing Luke die like that was a real let down -- especially after waiting almost 40 freaking years to see it.

These were my main issues -- but some of the youtube fan rants are merciless and unforgiving -- and like I said -- there is a very long list of issues that people are upset about.

On 12/23/2017 at 9:54 AM, Deang said:

Apparently, projecting yourself across the galaxy is pretty exhausting, and The Last Jedi dies from sweating to death on a rock. Yet, Rey and Kylo force project throughout the entire film without any issues.

Remember, Snoke was to blame for Ret and Kylo to connect throughout the story.

• Moderators

It was as I predicted.  If you are a casual or new fan you will love the movie.  If you are a DIE hard fan, not so much.

I saw the first 3 back in the hayday, but missed the next 3, I had a good time at this movie.

The DIE hard fans (my assumption based on the Star Wars t-shirts and other merchandise they had on) were expressing very mixed feelings.

Fortune had an article about the 2nd weekend revenues being a sign of a major disaster.

• Moderators
On 12/23/2017 at 8:54 AM, Deang said:

It's good eye candy. The only way to enjoy it is that you have to forget about The Force Awakens.

It wasn't until the next day that I realized that there was a lot that didn't make much sense. So I decided to do a search to see if anyone else had noticed this stuff. I mean, I'd only noticed three things that really bugged me -- and was blown away to find people were coming up with whole lists of problems.

"I came to this island to die", but in Episode 7, we're told that Luke loaded the map of his location into R2 in the event the day would come that they "needed him". Okay, so which is it? Why bother with the map if your plan is just to disappear and die.

Such a build up with Snoke, and the question of Rey's lineage. Poof, poof. Turns out that those subplots meant nothing.

Apparently, projecting yourself across the galaxy is pretty exhausting, and The Last Jedi dies from sweating to death on a rock. Yet, Rey and Kylo force project throughout the entire film without any issues. Seeing Luke die like that was a real let down -- especially after waiting almost 40 freaking years to see it.

These were my main issues -- but some of the youtube fan rants are merciless and unforgiving -- and like I said -- there is a very long list of issues that people are upset about.

You guys would make a fortune writing scripts for new episodes of Big Bang.

• Like 1

Made my stomach sink. What the heck. 

I wish I could get past the massive plot holes. 

I did listen to a good review - which reminded me that Stars Wars was originally written to captivate the imagination of children and young adults.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2017 at 7:34 PM, Deang said:

Kathleen Kennedy of Lucasfilm has effectively killed the franchise. After watching this thing, I can't think of a single reason to bother with Episode 9.

Finally I can join in the fun!  I saw it last night with my oldest son.  It had a huge screen, great sound system.  The sound was done right.

It was a fantastic movie!  I think the reason @Deang and MANY others didn't like it was because as great as it was, there were a LOT of ways it could have been made better.  Kathleen Kennedy ^^^ doesn't know jack squat what Star Wars is about, and that is disappointing to many fans, including me.

I won't go into a review but i will say I was totally surprised by a lot of what happened, which I also won't go into now.

Spoiler

The biggest downer for me (and I blame Kathleen Kennedy for this) is that Luke Skywalker was not allowed to be AWESOME.  Remember, he has not been in a Star Wars movie for nearly 40 years and by now I was waiting for the greatest Jedi of all time.  They really missed a chance for him to go out like a boss when he was confronted at the end by all those walkers.  I was hoping he would be more like Grand Master Luke Skywalker and totally blow those AT-AT's away.  Instead he went out alone with a whimper as he was never in any danger and then just faded away.  MAJOR fail by the writer Kennedy if you ask me.

Still, GO SEE IT.  I saw the box office was at almost 900 million worldwide, biggest for 2017 (Wonder Woman now #2)  so it's not a crap movie.

• 2 weeks later...

If you just sit and take in the eye candy, it's fine -- but it renders Episode VII completely irrelevant (which rendered Episode VI irrelevant). It's as if no one at Disney has ever watched the first three, and have no clue regarding the lore. The writing is terrible.

It's making a lot of money, but fan scores are low, and it just totally flopped in China.

Lack of participation in this thread is a little surprising. I guess Star War fans think that everyone is a Star Wars fan.

BTW, just spent the week watching the Harmy Despecialized Editions. Such great fun seeing these movies restored to their original theatrical cuts.

• Like 1

Dean, you've summed it up in a nutshell - "it's made a lot of money". For Disney that is the bottom line cut and dried. Thats why they bought the franchsie. Can you say Cash Cow? I mean really - what coming out of HWood isn't made for biggest possible $$$ ?.

I' be never been a big fan, wife and stepson wouldn't miss one. And at the end of the day - who gives a shite. 

9 hours ago, Deang said:

If you just sit and take in the eye candy, it's fine -- but it renders Episode VII completely irrelevant (which rendered Episode VI irrelevant). It's as if no one at Disney has ever watched the first three, and have no clue regarding the lore. The writing is terrible.

It's making a lot of money, but fan scores are low, and it just totally flopped in China.

Good analysis.  Sadly, I agree with everything.  :(

The last numbers I saw Ep 8 reached a Billion from the US box office.  When you can put out a movie that dissapoints so many true blue fans and still make a billion, what incentive is there to improve?