Jube/1802 - The Ultimate 2.1

AHall

• Moderators

Those are some great looking panels on the jubs, very nice.

Congratulations, you're doing it right, active crossover so no guessing and a sub that is a great match, well done.

You are in for a treat, that is a great sounding combination, if you get tired of that setup I don't know what to tell you ?

I like the idea with the sub also, no one will even know it's there, well even if they are deaf they will know but it will not be obvious, as much. 

Well done great choice. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AHall said:

I actually went back and forth on this idea. But with the sub sitting flush with the front wall and being kind of built into the house I wanted it to blend in with the wall. To the average eye you wouldn’t even know the room had a sub in it. The other reason is there will be a center channel sitting in front of the sub. At this point I’m wanting to build a belle style cabinet and put a 510 horn on top. Then I can do a matching walnut beauty panel on it as well. I’m not good at interior design, but I think this would look pretty sweet. Mains, sub, and center would all have matching black grilles as well. 

It's all good I'm just yanking your chain:) I just got my jubes a couple weeks back (but no 1802:sad:) You will love them.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AHall said:

...The other reason is there will be a center channel sitting in front of the sub. At this point I’m wanting to build a belle style cabinet and put a 510 horn on top...

22 minutes ago, AHall said:

IA8JH7A.jpg

These are some of my inspiration I’ve gathered from here if you can use a little imagination. 

This will work between the Jubs, I've found first-hand--a link to the DSP crossover settings of a tri-amped JuBelle:

...and a picture of that unit between the Jubs, elevated to get the central axis of the K-510 closer to the axis of the Jubs.  My room width is 15.5 feet.

gallery_26262_6_1571719.jpg

If you need any help dialing that in...you know where to find me. 😉

Chris

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dtel said:

Nice, so you haven't heard this combination yet?

I have not. Figured I’d just jump in with both feet and hope for the best. I really couldn’t find anything but great reviews. Never seen anyone seeking to upgrade, other than maybe some tad 4002. I’d like to go to the pilgrimage, but not with the house remodel and new baby coming this year. 

8 minutes ago, Chris A said:

This will work between the Jubs, I've found first-hand--a link to the DSP crossover settings of a tri-amped JuBelle:

...and a picture of that unit between the Jubs, elevated to get the central axis of the K-510 closer to the axis of the Jubs.  My room width is 15.5 feet.

Chris

Perfect. Why did you decide to go 3 way? I’ve read the 510 does so well as a 2 way. And matches the 402 sonically. 

Im looking for the center channel to be around 32” so it doesn’t block my screen. I could tilt it up a little like a heresy to help point the horn toward the listening position. 

Id really like to make it work passive to not have to use up another amp channel. My xilica has a spot to run a center as well though. Might as well use it. 

I was using a surplus K-69-A 2" compression driver that has a bit of diaphragm chatter at 13.8 kHz, so I added the Beyma CP25 tweeter and crossed at 8 kHz to avoid that chatter.  It worked extremely well. 

I went on to create the K-402-MEH design because I wanted a center channel that had a wider "apparent source width" (ASW) than the tri-amped JuBelle.  The JuBelle timbre matched the Jubs perfectly, but I could still hear a "sweet spot" in the listening position(s). 

With the K-402-MEH, that sweet spot became the full width and length of the room--to within 2-3 feet of the front wall...

Chris

1 minute ago, Chris A said:

I was using a surplus K-69-A 2" compression driver that has a bit of diaphragm chatter at 13.8 kHz, so I added the Beyma CP25 tweeter and crossed at 8 kHz to avoid that chatter.  It worked extremely well. 

I went on to create the K-402-MEH design because I wanted a center channel that had a wider "apparent source width" (ASW) than the tri-amped JuBelle.  The JuBelle timbre matched the Jubs perfectly, but I could still hear a "sweet spot" in the listening position(s). 

With the K-402-MEH, that sweet spot became the full width and length of the room--to within 2-3 feet of the front wall...

Chris

I read quite a bit of that thread recently. It was just a little over my head to cut up such an expensive horn with my little knowledge base. Interested in making another one? 

57 minutes ago, Chris A said:

..and a picture of that unit between the Jubs, elevated to get the central axis of the K-510 closer to the axis of the Jubs.  My room width is 15.5 feet.

I like the way you have those top hats angled downwards a few degrees Chris, you know, so you can hear them from those chairs.  📢

I found out that the K-402s control their polars so well that the angling down of the HF horns does one thing only: it delays the ceiling bounce from reaching the listening position quite as soon.  The coverage from the K-402s is so uniform that you don't get the usual "spotlight" of SPL from the horn on-axis.  You have to be off-axis by 45 degrees before the SPL begins to roll off.  The idea of toeing in the horns to broaden the stereo listening sweet spot, as Bill Waslo mentions in his pdf file on the subject, actually doesn't work very well because of the uniformity of coverage vs. off-axis angle...and from 200 Hz up to 20 kHz.  It's an amazing horn.  I know of no other horn that does that over that wide of an operating band. 

Chris

8 minutes ago, Emile said:

Jeez ... AWESOME!  I was very happy after I got my KPT-904's, but now am looking for the "big" horns.  But ... how do I get my wife to accept those ??? :D 

Build a man cave! I don't get much crap anymore. 

20180422_210159.jpg

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, rockhound said:

Congrats on the new toys be prepared to piss your pants when you get it dialed in, that is an impressive setup.

I cant think of a better way to spend the money at the moment. 

Now I just need to seek out some Tad 4002’s. Seems like they are unobtanium the last couple years. 

• Like 1