Super MWM

Dave A

• 4 weeks later...

OK this is a call for help. I have the 402's and S-MWM's sounding great but I suspect there is more to be found.  My internet is so lousy, thanks you crap heads running ATT, that I could not even upload a 2.6mb file to Claude much less share screens and let him run things. SO I am back to needing someone who knows how to use REW and a Umike and the Xilica to do final tweaking. Doing things over the internet is just not possible here as amazing as that may be to many of you. Willing to drive and have REW loaded and ready to go on a laptop I can bring back with me. Yes I know that does not help set my system up but if I could at least be trained on what to do I can take it from there.

On 7/3/2019 at 7:25 AM, Dave A said:

OK this is a call for help. I have the 402's and S-MWM's sounding great but I suspect there is more to be found.  My internet is so lousy, thanks you crap heads running ATT, that I could not even upload a 2.6mb file to Claude much less share screens and let him run things. SO I am back to needing someone who knows how to use REW and a Umike and the Xilica to do final tweaking. Doing things over the internet is just not possible here as amazing as that may be to many of you. Willing to drive and have REW loaded and ready to go on a laptop I can bring back with me. Yes I know that does not help set my system up but if I could at least be trained on what to do I can take it from there.

If you were closer...………

You know a small demonstration by someone that knows this software well would be one of those things at the next pilgrimage would be very beneficial to many here. @Chris A needs to make next year :)

On 5/24/2019 at 12:42 AM, glens said:

Like Hewlett-Packard's RPN.  Takes a minute to get used to, and thereafter it's difficult to use a "regular" calculator 'cause it's so cumbersome.  (RPN for those unfamiliar.)

I know this is a laaaate quote but, just saw it!!

I wanted to say AMEN to this!!!

When I got my first HP 12-C, it confounded the daylights out of me.  Put it away.  Thinking that was absurd, I finally pulled it out and just focused on figuring it out.

Got it figured out and as SOON as I did that, "it made sense" and now, a traditional calculator confounds me to he!!.  It's bad enough that I'll go out to my car, I'll search the house, I'll turn things upside down to find the HP so I don't have to use the simple calculator which is sitting at my fingertips.

It really amazed me how "once you get it", how crystal clear & easy it is.

All I have to say is _&^*(&^%GHOP{:"J*(^%$ER*(&^y   to these traditional calculators!!!!

Ok, I know.....back to my cave....

On 7/3/2019 at 8:25 AM, Dave A said:

Well, if I"m reading you right...

Find someone in Sweetwater/Athens and I'll join for a group class!!!

(good luck finding someone!)  ((meaning I'm doubtful))

I wonder if Maryville is too far for you compared to other directions?

I wonder if @mikebse2a3 (in Maryville) would have an idea & opportunity?

58 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Well, if I"m reading you right...

Find someone in Sweetwater/Athens and I'll join for a group class!!!

(good luck finding someone!)  ((meaning I'm doubtful))

I wonder if Maryville is too far for you compared to other directions?

I wonder if @mikebse2a3 (in Maryville) would have an idea & opportunity?

Going to try another route here for now. Mark is familiar with TrueRTA and I have downloaded this and will have a go at it. Perhaps this will work and if not I am in the hunt for someone in the general area, southern middle Tennessee who uses xilica and REW and bi-amps who would be willing to have me stop in and be tutored. There are too many things to be overlooked here that will cause problems and I have been down this road before with cad and cam software. All you regular users of these kinds of things assume I have done the correct entries and setup but no one sees it to really know. So problems are baked in right from the start and odd things happen and with my crappy internet we go no further. In the mean time looking for good videos on these topics.

An alternative to consider:

-->Nashville--> DFW Int'l (where we can pick you up)--> west Arlington.  It will take about a day or so to go through REW, and perhaps any extra time can be devoted to Audacity demastering.  When done, we can drive you back to DFW Int'l.

Otherwise, it's a 10.5 hour drive on I-30/40 (each way). 

We've got an extra bed. Must tolerate two border collies.

Chris

2 hours ago, rockhound said:

TrueRTA in the place of REW? I believe @jwc is a fan of that software also.

Yep.  I still use it.  

It does not do near what REW does, but if you want simplicity of getting a FR......a snap.

Dave, if I were near I'd stop by and have a go at it with you.  It'd be a first-time for me doing exactly that, but I'm figuring "how hard could it be?". Seriously.  I think you've talked yourself out of it is all.  You have a good idea of what you need to do; just be methodical.

I have a new uMike unopened and REW on my laptop.  But haven't engaged with it yet.  It's summer and I'm barely in the house right now.  This is more of a winter thing for me.  I am trying t help Dave with RTA because I'm very familiar and to get him at least able to pink the room, see his acoustical crossover points, and adjust his EQ to get FR to his liking.  REW takes it to the next level, and at the moment can't help with that.

On 7/4/2019 at 3:26 PM, glens said:

Dave, if I were near I'd stop by and have a go at it with you.  It'd be a first-time for me doing exactly that, but I'm figuring "how hard could it be?". Seriously.  I think you've talked yourself out of it is all.  You have a good idea of what you need to do; just be methodical.

Well that sounds good but here is the problem with software and  learning on your own by trial and error and crap documentation. You can spend a ton of time to get to what you think is the right place with it only to find out later there were best practices that would give you better and quicker results. You can go on for some time thinking you have it all solved only to have some whiz bang at it see you work your "magic" and when he is done laughing show you how it is really done. It is not that it can't be done but my tolerance for stumbling through the process has about had it after 15 years of CAD and CAM programs. I would rather learn best practices to begin with and save myself the problems DIY can cause with software.

• Like 1

Well in the mean time, if you've got the time, you ought to give it a whirl.  At least you can PEQ the individual drivers, apply crossovers, and get the relative delays set, all close enough for a starting polishing point later if you don't get it right-enough (but I bet you do).  You can certainly get it better than how you're running them now, right?

1 hour ago, glens said:

Well in the mean time, if you've got the time, you ought to give it a whirl.  At least you can PEQ the individual drivers, apply crossovers, and get the relative delays set, all close enough for a starting polishing point later if you don't get it right-enough (but I bet you do).  You can certainly get it better than how you're running them now, right?

I have it set up and I have fiddled with it a fair amount to get it sounding good on the Xilica. It is REW that is the problem right now.

OK first meaningful data collected on the S-MWM. This is the full system in my typical listening spot with a bit of EQ tinkering. Not all the way there yet. True RTA is the data collector. We were getting odd results and as it turns out the culprit was the speaker size setting inside the Dell sound control panel. It was set to small and needed to be, oddly enough, the large speaker. Thinking of putting Claude's favorite Eminence woofer in there to see how it does on the low end.

ScreenHunter_411 Jul. 09 19.39.jpg