College football 2018

jimjimbo

Week 2 Rankings - Coaches Poll

http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/2/week/2/year/2018/seasontype/2

My Mountaineers only gained 3 spots to 17th after dominating Tennessee 40-14.  That about right in the lower tiers, a good win shoots you up three, a loss drops you five.

Michigan dropped 8 places to 22nd after losing to ND by only 7 while ND jumped 3 places to 8th.  Not sure how that works.  ???  I'm guessing ND is being positioned for a top 4 spot as they are now the favorite in all their remaining games.  There is no way Mich should have fallen that far.

And Penn State only dropped one place from 9th to 10th after allowing Appy state to score 38 points in an overtime win?  I thought they should have dropped 6 spots, at least.

No top ten matchups this coming week.  There won't be much movement in the rankings as most of the ranked teams will be piling up stats and style points vs inferior opponents.

32 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Michigan dropped 8 places to 22nd after losing to ND by only 7 while ND jumped 3 places to 8th.  Not sure how that works.  ???  I'm guessing ND is being positioned for a top 4 spot as they are now the favorite in all their remaining games.  There is no way Mich should have fallen that far.

I am frankly surprised Michigan didn't drop out of the top 25.  They looked awful.

9 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I am frankly surprised Michigan didn't drop out of the top 25.  They looked awful.

To a degree you're right and I know the final score appeared closer than it actually was.  Still, Michigan held a potential (if the talking heads are right) top four playoff team to 300 yards of total offense and it was only a one-score win for ND.

Michigan has one of the country's top coaches and that counts for a lot when trying to right a ship that looks a little rough in the early season.  I look for a dramatic improvement in week 2.

We're talking about the Michigan Wolverines here!  All they need to do to have a successful season is to beat Ohio State and knock them out of the national championship playoffs.  Hail to the Victors!  :emotion-19:

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I look for a dramatic improvement in week 2.

Just curious as to why you would feel that way?  They had weeks to prepare this time.  I don't know much about that team or how good the coach is but what will they do differently this week that they have in the past month or two?  Do you think they were just unprepared, unmotivated, unfit?  If so, why would next week be any different?

Braylon Edwards and the local papers are being very hard on Michigan.  The coaches failed to prepare the young men.  I almost felt bad for Shea Patterson.  He had a "deer in the lights" look on his face all game; not the look of confidence the coaches and players expect from an experienced QB.

I expect Michigan to look and play better against WMU.  If not, the natives will grow even more restless.

To be fair, the Spartans have a lot of room for improvement.  It will be interesting to see how well they play against Arizona State.  The 10:45 EDT start time will be tough on this old fart.

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

20 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Just curious as to why you would feel that way?  They had weeks to prepare this time.  I don't know much about that team or how good the coach is but what will they do differently this week that they have in the past month or two?  Do you think they were just unprepared, unmotivated, unfit?  If so, why would next week be any different?

Simple answer....They are playing Western Michigan University in their home opener.....I'll be there.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

To be fair, the Spartans have a lot of room for improvement.  It will be interesting to see how well they play against Arizona State.  The 10:45 EDT start time will be tough on this old fart.

Should be over 100 degrees at game time. Holy crap.

Advantage Arizona.

4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:
4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Historically most teams improve the most from Week 1 to Week 2.  Half the time the freshmen don't even know where to line up, you see a LOT of mistakes in Week 1.  The really good college teams get better every week as the season goes on.

Back when WVU used to play Penn State you always wanted to play PSU early.  They were coached by Joe Paterno and every week of the season they got better.  If you played them in the last half of the season by that time they were a monster and simply did not have weaknesses, a well oiled machine either winning a national championship or at least being in contention.

4 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Simple answer....They are playing Western Michigan University in their home opener.....I'll be there.

That sounds great.  :emotion-21:

I'd like to see a game in The Big House.  I've been there while passing through town but I've never seen a game.  My band director at WVU got his music degree at Michigan and he used to talk about what it was like coming through the tunnel in the middle of the field to lead the band onto the 50 to a sea of thunderous applause.  Michigan has a great band, I'd love to see them.

When I was in the WVU Marching band they used to take us everywhere.  I've been to Pitt, Penn State, Maryland, Virginia Tech, Kentucky, The Meadowlands.  We did a halftime for the Jets in Shea Stadium and Three Rivers stadium for the Steelers.  They even flew us to Oklahoma to play a game in OU's stadium.  I love football and I loved marching on all those legendary fields.

I'd like to see games at Michigan, Ohio State and Notre Dame, but especially the first two, because of the bands.

27 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

.  If you played them in the last half of the season by that time they were a monster and simply did not have weaknesses, a well oiled machine either winning a national championship or at least being in contention.

By that time, the defensive coordinator was getting a little behind in his work.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Let me know if you ever want to head this way.  You'll survive it all...  Maybe!  :)

Thanks!

I live two hours east of Columbus, near Marietta, OH, in Parkersburg, WV.  I worked for The Ohio State last year in bio-medical research where I was eligible to get into the lottery to get football tickets.  I never did win, tickets are hard to get!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Historically most teams improve the most from Week 1 to Week 2.  Half the time the freshmen don't even know where to line up, you see a LOT of mistakes in Week 1.  The really good college teams get better every week as the season goes on.

Seems like every team should get better then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1