Is My Room Too Small?

BareVinyl.com

I'm a gambling man willing to bet that my marriage will survive  the purchase of a pair of Cornwall III's.  My only real worry is my small room.  12' x 12' x 8'.  I want to use my 5 watt AmpsandSound Agaratha tube amp and my Linn LP12.  Will big Klipsch speakers work in small rooms?  Should I order the Cornwall speakers and possibly a divorce lawyer?  

Thanks for any help. 

Geo

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Too small for cornwalls in my opinion. Perfect for Heresy.

I would be more concerned about a square room.

Shakey

I agree on all accounts.  My 13 x 13 x 10 room is ideal for my pair of Heresys.  I have "overcome" the square room with window drapes, queen bed with thick comforter and fluffy pillows,  and stacks of large cardboard boxes and other packing/shipping materials.:P

Also, Heresys will benefit from boundary gain to strengthen the low end.

Bill

13 hours ago, BareVinyl.com said:

Will big Klipsch speakers work in small rooms? 

Yes, very much so.  They will sound absolutely fantastic.  Make sure that you can place the Cornwalls in the room on the floor near the room corners for much deeper and smoother bass extension and wider stereo imaging. 

I don't recommend placing anything between the Cornwalls at or near the midrange horn height.  You should have something to EQ the frequency response below the room's Schroeder frequency (approximately 250 Hz for your room, depending on the reverberation time--RT30):  fs = 2000 ( T60 / V )1/2 

I also recommend using a fair amount of absorption in your room in order to get that reverberation time down to a fairly low value--like 0.3 seconds average across the audible spectrum.  Thick carpet and drapes over a fair amount of the wall--especially around the Cornwalls at the front of the room, and behind your listening position, and covering the windows.  The thicker--the better.

Chris

On 2/2/2019 at 7:32 PM, BareVinyl.com said:

I'm a gambling man willing to bet that my marriage will survive  the purchase of a pair of Cornwall III's.  My only real worry is my small room.  12' x 12' x 8'.  I want to use my 5 watt AmpsandSound Agaratha tube amp and my Linn LP12.  Will big Klipsch speakers work in small rooms?  Should I order the Cornwall speakers and possibly a divorce lawyer?  

Thanks for any help. 

Geo

I use a pair of la scalas...

in a room 11.5x10.5x9

• Like 1

You can put any speaker in any room if you like. And it might sound pretty good. However, you will probably only get "X" percentage of the possible performance of said speaker. So yes, Lascalas in a 10 ft. square room will probably sound pretty good. Will you get 100% of what they can do? No. Will they sound better in a 25' x 15' room? All things being equal, that answer is  yes.

If any speaker could work in any room, there would be no need to produce monitors or small floor standing speakers. So if you want 60% of a Lascala vs. 100% of a Heresy, then go for it.

Shakey

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

You can put any speaker in any room if you like. And it might sound pretty good. However, you will probably only get "X" percentage of the possible performance of said speaker. So yes, Lascalas in a 10 ft. square room will probably sound pretty good. Will you get 100% of what they can do? No. Will they sound better in a 25' x 15' room? All things being equal, that answer is  yes.

If any speaker could work in any room, there would be no need to produce monitors or small floor standing speakers. So if you want 60% of a Lascala vs. 100% of a Heresy, then go for it.

Shakey

no they sound better.. in a room

26x34x14...

that's where I placed them.. at my friends home...when I first received them 20+ years ago...

but now I have limited space...