I want new speakers

guf

5 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Not to totally hi-jack this thread, but I’ve met great people through this forum and heard some great systems.  Perhaps this OT post can inspire the OP to meet local members and audition their systems.

This afternoon I was on Woodward Ave riding shotgun in a work van when I Heard my name.  Next to me was Klipsch friend Brett @bhenry in a Shelby Mustang.  As soon as the contractors finish our basement lavatory I will increase efforts to organize a man-cave crawl.  IMO, it should end at Claude’s in Pontiac.  I do not want to follow Claude’s system.   We could start at my place in Birmingham, go to Brett’s in Berkley,  move north to Fenton  @Escher Mt. Morris @mopardave Burton @kevinmi and any others in the Metro Detroit area before ending at Claude’s.  Or, we could do an Oakland County version, with a Genesee County edition on a separate day.

I'm totally cool with that, but that's a pretty high cumulative DeciBel to Beer ratio, though. LOL. Mine can play as loud as you want or need, so it's good to save it for last, although, unless it's the "Phoenix" plane crash demo in Full HT vs. 2 channel music, I do keep the music at about 85 dbA to start, but the guests are in charge of the remote volume control, so you never know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Not to totally hi-jack this thread, but I’ve met great people through this forum and heard some great systems.  Perhaps this OT post can inspire the OP to meet local members and audition their systems.

This afternoon I was on Woodward Ave riding shotgun in a work van when I Heard my name.  Next to me was Klipsch friend Brett @bhenry in a Shelby Mustang.  As soon as the contractors finish our basement lavatory I will increase efforts to organize a man-cave crawl.  IMO, it should end at Claude’s in Pontiac.  I do not want to follow Claude’s system.   We could start at my place in Birmingham, go to Brett’s in Berkley,  move north to Fenton  @Escher Mt. Morris @mopardave Burton @kevinmi and any others in the Metro Detroit area before ending at Claude’s.  Or, we could do an Oakland County version, with a Genesee County edition on a separate day.

I'm up for a road trip. I'll even swing by and pick up @Escher and @mopardave and drive them down to the city. There's also @whell down in metro Detroit area who might be interested.

18 hours ago, lighting guy said:

That's what I offered guf a couple of weeks ago (see page 2).  And the offer still stands.  It's always fun to get together with other music enthusiasts, we had a nice small group here about ten years ago. Life gets in the way and people drift apart.

Darrell

Hey guys. I think I started this thread and have been following the off topic discussion. 😬 I did get the speakers I wanted. And started another thread. A pair of 78  La Scalas.  I’m traveling to see some Phish music right now for a few weeks. But would love to check others systems of some locals.  I enjoy reading about the horn loaded subs.  I am wanting to try open baffle subs which don’t get a lot of talk on here maybe because they don’t blend well with horns? Or maybe no one‘s ever tried them?  I love experimenting. I’ll try anything!  I love music but mostly I just like listening to sounds. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, guf said:

I am wanting to try open baffle subs which don’t get a lot of talk on here maybe because they don’t blend well with horns?

I have done open baffle with a friend. It's easy to build the cabs, but hard to get perfomance below 30 Hz. I'd recommend a Goldwood 18" or Eminence Alpha 15" drivers (I have 4 of those). Look for the work of Martin King on the subject.

http://quarter-wave.com/

I actually have 2 of Martin style H-frames with Alpha 15's, already built if you are reasonably local, I'd let them go for a song, or you pay shipping. I think they would work VERY WELL for filling in LaScala bass below 120 Hz. They sound amazingly detailed, especially on Acoustic Bass.

Now that this thread has been fully hijacked, which happens naturally in this forum, and if not too radical, is quite acceptable..........I hope.

2 hours ago, guf said:

Hey guys. I think I started this thread and have been following the off topic discussion. 😬 I did get the speakers I wanted. And started another thread. A pair of 78  La Scalas.  I’m traveling to see some Phish music right now for a few weeks. But would love to check others systems of some locals.  I enjoy reading about the horn loaded subs.  I am wanting to try open baffle subs which don’t get a lot of talk on here maybe because they don’t blend well with horns? Or maybe no one‘s ever tried them?  I love experimenting. I’ll try anything!  I love music but mostly I just like listening to sounds. 

Everything blends well with horns!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kevinmi said:

I'm up for a road trip. I'll even swing by and pick up @Escher and @mopardave and drive them down to the city. There's also @whell down in metro Detroit area who might be interested.

OK, so if this is really going to happen, can you guys tell me exactly WHEN?? Like today, tomorrow, 4th of July extended weekend, what? If would be a bummer for you to show up and I'm not home! LOL. PM me for my cell number if you need to talk about this away from this forum.

12 hours ago, kevinmi said:

I'm open for a road trip. Sounds like fun.  I don't have much to audition but my Super Heresy's with A Chinese amp and the Moded Sony c333es. All crammed into my 10x10 office. In my opinion it does sound very good on the Heresy scale thou.

11 hours ago, mopardave said:

I'm open for a road trip. Sounds like fun.  I don't have much to audition but my Super Heresy's with A Chinese amp and the Moded Sony c333es. All crammed into my 10x10 office. In my opinion it does sound very good on the Heresy scale thou.

I'm open to hearing what my mods sound like in other people's setups. Always interesting. Also to share some great demo songs too! BYOM, I say, but be open for your host's music too! It's a cumulative effect. PM me and say when.

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I'm open to hearing what my mods sound like in other people's setups. Always interesting. Also to share some great demo songs too! BYOM, I say, but be open for your host's music too! It's a cumulative effect. PM me and say when.

I'm retired, so you guys with job schedules to work around will have to figure out what works best for you. I'm only available Mon thru Fri and on weekends.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, kevinmi said:

I'm retired, so you guys with job schedules to work around will have to figure out what works best for you. I'm only available Mon thru Fri and on weekends.

FYI, I just UN-retired, so Weekends for me now.

• Like 1

I vote for picking a Saturday in August.  That will give me time to get the basement whipped into shape.  Otherwise the wife would insist that everyone be blindfolded.

I’m going to start a dedicated thread to allow this thread to return to regularly scheduled programming.

@ClaudeJ1, @bhenry, @kevinmi, @Escher, @mopardave, @teaman

5 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

I vote for picking a Saturday in August.  That will give me time to get the basement whipped into shape.  Otherwise the wife would insist that everyone be blindfolded.

I’m going to start a dedicated thread to allow this thread to return to regularly scheduled programming.

@ClaudeJ1, @bhenry, @kevinmi, @Escher, @mopardave, @teaman

Good Idea.

Although all impatient listeners are welcome here independently before then if they wish. Truth be told, my small living room can only, prefereably, accomodate 2-3 at a time.

Are you going to call it the "Michigan Klipcheads Road Trip?" LOL

As long as I have some notice I can usually make a day or two get away happen. This sounds like fun! Wish I had a way to turn on notices for just one thread... heck maybe there is.

I'll have a 3 hour drive to get down there....

I found the button for notifications. Not sure what it will notify me of...