Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Wolfbane

Who's Going to See Ford Vs. Ferrari in the Theater?

Ford vs. Ferrari  

27 members have voted

  1. 1. Going to the movie in the theatre?



Recommended Posts

The story of Henry Ford II spending $25 million 1965 dollars (over $200,000,000 in 2019 dollars) to develop the Ford GT40 and humiliate Enzo Ferrari. Ferrari was previously willing to sell Ford all of Ferrari to Ford for $10,000,000. Of course, Carroll Shelby was heavily involved in development but could no longer race himself at that point.

 

I think HF II was not a man to have as an enemy.

 

Wb

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw it . Very well made and acted . Wouldn't be surprised if it won best picture . 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


} Saw it Friday night, car club rented one theatre in the complex. Everyone enjoyed it -

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sunburnwilly said:

Just saw it . Very well made and acted . Wouldn't be surprised if it won best picture . 

 

We are waiting for the forecasted 1 to 2 inches of rain to arrive mid week here, then go. ⛈️

 

Of course, knowing how it ends won't matter.

 

Wb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw it yesterday. The cinematography, sound, acting of Bale/Damon were are all darn good. The story as a whole was pretty middle of the road. Absolutely linear start to finish. Why no flashbacks to how Shelby/Miles came to be who they were? Why not a bigger focus on why Ford needed to change their cars? So many lost opportunities to make a story on the level of Apollo 13 or Saving Private Ryan. I love cars, Detroit, that era but it just came up short. Almost zero details on the making of one of the greatest cars ever. They did show a measuring stick and talk about the GT40 being 40" high....yawn. Henry Ford II and Enzo were an afterthought, very little attention paid to their characters. The Ford exec that was Shelby/Miles antagonist was down right terrible. Honorable mention to Ken Miles wife, that actress put in a good performance but could not save it by herself.

 

I really wanted to love it, half way through I wanted to find something to like about it. In the end I wish I had watched pro football and rented the Blu-Ray to watch in my more than adequate Home Theater a few months down the road. I had the exact opposite experience with The Irishman the previous weekend. I think The Irishman got me to go see FvF in a theater as I had not been in a long time prior. I was ready to fall for Hollywood/theaters again. That affair lasted exactly 9 days, Friday to the following Sunday:(

 

C+ maybe squeaks out B- if you were trapped with your relatives over a long holiday weekend and needed to get out. No way is it a see at all costs in a theater movie. Surely worth renting.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for verifying my instincts.  I will stay at home while the rest of them go see it tomorrow.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll watch at home since I already know the ending.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Thanks for verifying my instincts.  I will stay at home while the rest of them go see it tomorrow.

 

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

I'll watch at home since I already know the ending.

Looks like the NOs are winning ... there may be a few more Yes votes; but, the character of the people voting NO most definitely secures the win. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

character of the people voting NO most definitely secures the win. 

 

Did you mean to say, “ The characters voting no . . . .”?

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

 

Did you meant to say, “ The characters voting no . . . .”?

that phrasing doesn’t stir the pot enough ... these gear heads are passionate folks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Thanks for verifying my instincts.  I will stay at home while the rest of them go see it tomorrow.

 

More room for those of us that want to see this on the big screen. Looking forward to the seats rumbling and snorting when those cars hit the red line.

 

5 hours ago, rplace said:

I saw it yesterday. The cinematography, sound, acting of Bale/Damon were are all darn good. The story as a whole was pretty middle of the road. Absolutely linear start to finish. Why no flashbacks to how Shelby/Miles came to be who they were? Why not a bigger focus on why Ford needed to change their cars? So many lost opportunities to make a story on the level of Apollo 13 or Saving Private Ryan. I love cars, Detroit, that era but it just came up short. Almost zero details on the making of one of the greatest cars ever. They did show a measuring stick and talk about the GT40 being 40" high....yawn. Henry Ford II and Enzo were an afterthought, very little attention paid to their characters. The Ford exec that was Shelby/Miles antagonist was down right terrible. Honorable mention to Ken Miles wife, that actress put in a good performance but could not save it by herself.

 

I really wanted to love it, half way through I wanted to find something to like about it. In the end I wish I had watched pro football and rented the Blu-Ray to watch in my more than adequate Home Theater a few months down the road. I had the exact opposite experience with The Irishman the previous weekend. I think The Irishman got me to go see FvF in a theater as I had not been in a long time prior. I was ready to fall for Hollywood/theaters again. That affair lasted exactly 9 days, Friday to the following Sunday:(

 

C+ maybe squeaks out B- if you were trapped with your relatives over a long holiday weekend and needed to get out. No way is it a see at all costs in a theater movie. Surely worth renting.

 

Trapped with my eldest daughter and her sig other. Neither are car people, she has paddle shifters in her car and never uses them. But have not seen either for more than six months so not feeling trapped.

 

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

that phrasing doesn’t stir the point enough ... these gear heads are passionate folks. 

 

Yes, they are. 🚀

 

Beats the shat out of golfing. Chasing an annoying little white ball in the heat with a metal stick. Not for me. 😎

 

Wb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

 

Did you meant to say, “ The characters voting no . . . .”?

Did you mean to say, instead of "did you meant to say?"

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

 

More room for those of us that want to see this on the big screen. Looking forward to the seats rumbling and snorting when those cars hit the red line.

 

 

Trapped with my eldest daughter and her sig other. Neither are car people, she has paddle shifters in her car and never uses them. But have not seen either for more than six months so not feeling trapped.

 

 

Yes, they are. 🚀

 

Beats the shat out of golfing. Chasing an annoying little white ball in the heat with a metal stick. Not for me. 😎

 

Wb

I live a short drive from Texas Motor Speedway.  Big screen not needed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Did you mean to say, instead of "did you meant to say?"

thanks for having my back. Neil’s normally a very good grammar cop. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That does it.  I need to turn up the heat and remove the mittens.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

C'mon man, I was hoping for a resounding YES from the car guys on here.......I really wanted this movie to be GREAT!!....At least it doesn't sound like a flop.... Sounds like they did some credit to the story.... How can you really go wrong about the TRUE story of the GT40.....I do want to see this movie... If I get bored I'll go see it in theaters..... But i guess i might as well just watch the real story on YouTube or Motortrendondemand or something...... Why can't Hollywood make car movie... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Audio Android said:

C'mon man, I was hoping for a resounding YES from the car guys on here.......I really wanted this movie to be GREAT!!....At least it doesn't sound like a flop.... Sounds like they did some credit to the story.... How can you really go wrong about the TRUE story of the GT40.....I do want to see this movie... If I get bored I'll go see it in theaters..... But i guess i might as well just watch the real story on YouTube or Motortrendondemand or something...... Why can't Hollywood make car movie... 

 

Bullitt, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry. The original Vanishing Point From the 1970’s. Le Man’s, etc.

 

Steve McQueen is dead. The current crowd of film makers has forgotten how.

 

Wb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Audio Android said:

Sounds like they did some credit to the story.

 

They did, if you knew absolutely nothing about cars/racing and only thought that Lee Iacocca was that fat, old, Chrysler guy you would walk away saying "Hmmmm, what a cool smidge of history I didn't know about. Gosh that guy designed the Mustang and worked for Chrysler". Things like period vibe, set design, costumes were great. It had all the pieces to make it a great move it just lacked any meat on the bones.

 

9 hours ago, Audio Android said:

How can you really go wrong about the TRUE story of the GT40

Really lacking here. Car shows up on the tarmac one day....nothing about the engineering to develop it. It needs more power and the brakes don't work. Okay, got that sorted lets go win some races.

 

I'm still not over it, don't take my word for it plunk down your $11.50 and report back what  you thought. Maybe I expected too much, seems to apply to a lot of things these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a $5 matinee I'll be there at 12:45 today.  What else does a retiree have to do?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...