Panasonic and Klipsch Partnering for Automotive Audio

TasDom

Panasonic makes good stuff. I've had cassette walkmans, VCR and DVD players. My first VCR I bought was Panasonic. That thing lasted over 20 years.

Have a Panasonic bookshelf stereo (Cassette, CD , Radio) I bought in 1990 with paper route money that is still in use.

Don't forget Panasonic's SA-XR digital receivers in the used market. Great sound for the money.

Looking forward to this Klipsch/Panny partnership.

Panasonic makes a lot of electronics, and yes I have a Technics SL1210, great table. 

Panasonic just does not have great name recognition as a top audio brand.  Klipsch does.

Bose has a great reputation in audio (at least to the non-audio types) and their name adds to the vehicles.  Levinson is firmly a high end manufacturer and their name in a luxury vehicle adds to the mystique. 

But what would you get excited over, a car with a Panasonic system or a Klipsch System (or to get rid of our bias, a Bowers and Wilkens car audio system vs Panasonic)?  It seems like the Klipsch name is the one with the goodwill in audio. Overall a good move for more brand recognition for both companies.  . 

• Like 1

Panasonic or not, the bottom line is it looks like there will be Klipsh automotive speakers in the near future.

No one has to marry them to a Panasonic radio / head unit (speculating here) but you may have to pay for the car they come in. :o

• Thanks 1

Panasonic was one of the Car Audio lines I rep'd during my tenure as a manufacturers rep from 2001 to 2009.  It was a decent line but not a big player in the market by far.  We also covered the home A/V stuff including those Class D amp receivers that never sold back then, surround systems, flat panel TV's & rear projection, etc.  They were a big company for sure.  

The Audiovox name isn't that great really, nor has it ever been....as far as the actual name.  I don't remember Audiovox ever being a "player" in car audio from when I was in it from 1984 to 2009.  Definitely wouldn't be in my "Top Ten" list of car audio.  We used them for in vehicle video systems and car alarms but that's about it.  Their car audio was awful.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Definitely wouldn't be in my "Top Ten" list of car audio.

Mine either but car audio and alarms was the thing that stuck in my head about Audiovox.  I always thought their stuff was cheap and never thought that their "brand" would help Klipsch.  Another thing that made me associate Audiovox with car audio was when the owner/president who started the company spoke to us in Hope.  He told the story of how he started the business by selling car stereos out of the trunk of his car.

49 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Mine either but car audio and alarms was the thing that stuck in my head about Audiovox.  I always thought their stuff was cheap and never thought that their "brand" would help Klipsch.  Another thing that made me associate Audiovox with car audio was when the owner/president who started the company spoke to us in Hope.  He told the story of how he started the business by selling car stereos out of the trunk of his car.

I remember hearing that tale as well.  Maybe they did a little more before my time in working in car audio in 84; I was installing my own stuff and friends stuff in 1979/80 when I worked for the local Western Auto store.  I also installed things that came from auto parts stores...Jensen, Sparkomatic, Kraco, Mindblower (6x9's), Pioneer, etc.  Fun times.  In later years, it was primarily car alarms and video.

• Like 1

Pioneer, Craig were the go to car audio for 8 track. Channel Master another. The former kicked butt.

Panasonic has a really diversified

product portfolio. They tend to do some things really well.

Would think that both parties came to this through eyes wide open

negotiations. Another may have been considered. Sort of makes me consider that parent company

Is leaving Klipsch to it's own devices in all or most things audio.

• Like 1

I can only imagine that there are many reasons that made the partnership a necessity to move the Klipsch brand into the car audio and could be as simple as Panasonics relationship with certain auto manufacturers that Klipsch did not have and it was a tough market to crack without that partnership.  Really doesn't matter how they get in but when you're competing with Bose/JBL that are established in the market and have been for a while, you need to make your opportunity anyway you can.  My JBL in the Tundra isn't bad at all, it's not the sound of other custom systems I've done in the past, but it's fine for when I'm driving, but I have thought about trying to do a custom "Klipsch" set up, so I hope that they make the speakers available for those purposes, assuming they are going to be better than other choices in the marketplace. 

• Like 1