Good things about the current crisis...

Chris A

EVtf6w7VAAI1Qx8.jpg

We see probably 10x-20x the number of people walking during the day (many with their dogs) than before a month ago.  That's something that our dogs really like.  I like to see it, too.

Chris

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I'm reading that there's apparently a run on baker's yeast that's occurring now (implying a lot of homemade bread is being made now), as well as jigsaw puzzles on Amazon.  Cucumbers were not available in the local Albertsons supermarket (still no paper products available, though). 

The price of gasoline is now about $1.50USD here in the D/FW area, which actually has a surcharge on gasoline prices due to using cleaner low sulfur gasoline feedstocks to keep airborne sulfur-based emission levels down. 

All are indicators of healthier lifestyles occurring.  No one I know is currently sick with colds...allergies maybe, but no colds.

Perhaps America is changing...and maybe some of the good things might stick around for a little while.

Chris

• Like 3

My family has a lot of teachers in it (public education and university, including all my siblings and both my parents--at least part time teaching, myself included [adjunct]).  Our friends also include a lot of teachers. 

Public education teachers have been really hammered in the past by standardized student tests yearly (cancelled for the year), and more and more rules and "make work" tasks.  Now teachers are teaching via telecommuting with their students.  The teachers can now go to the restroom when they need to instead of having to have someone watch their class.  They also have more than 10 minutes to eat their lunches, and stress levels are beginning to subside. 

My guess is that the kids are actually spending better quality time learning.  Brighter kids don't have to wait on everyone else to move ahead on their studies...if they want to.  There's still time to play outside and enjoy themselves without worrying about being intimidated by others.  School kids are also learning to telecommute, mothers and/or fathers are at home with the kids, spending a lot more time with them than they used to. 

Kids are still learning.  Twenty years ago, the story might have been different, but with the IT commonly available today, it's a reality. 

None of these things are bad as far as I can see.  I feel for our friends and neighbors that own or work in restaurants, but in reality, people are probably eating more healthfully by staying at home.  Family food budgets go 5x further now.  This also has a knock-on effect on public health over time.  People seem happier overall--perhaps a little bored presently, but I find they are finding ways to channel their available time to better pursuits.  I bet Amazon book sales are going through the roof.  My wife is enjoying the music on the setup more time each day--because she's here listening to it.  I've even pulled out Christmas music for her... ;)

Chris

• Like 1

Makes you wonder if the world Homo Sapiens population is a bit too high for planet Earth to sustain.  (BTW: this is exactly what the politicians seem to want.)

I remember the reason given for the rise of the middle class in Europe during the middle ages: the black death...which from various sources was said to have reduced the population by more than 50% at its height (and by more than 70% in some places in north central Europe). This same phenomenon also has been credited with the beginning of the Renaissance--the age of enlightenment. 

Business leaders don't like population stabilization because they have to pay their (typically low wage) employees more.  That's okay: they have enough money as-is. And their employees can lead better lives.

Chris

• Like 1

I like the drop in NO2 in China...

The maps on this page show concentrations of nitrogen dioxide, a noxious gas emitted by motor vehicles, power plants, and industrial facilities. The maps above show NO2 values across China from January 1-20, 2020 (before the quarantine) and February 10-25 (during the quarantine). The data were collected by the Tropospheric Monitoring Instrument (TROPOMI) on ESA’s Sentinel-5 satellite. A related sensor, the Ozone Monitoring Instrument (OMI) on NASA’s Aura satellite, has been making similar measurements.

According to NASA scientists, the reduction in NO2 pollution was first apparent near Wuhan, but eventually spread across the country. Millions of people have been quarantined in one of the largest such actions in human history. As of February 28, 2020, the virus had been detected in at least 56 countries.

“This is the first time I have seen such a dramatic drop-off over such a wide area for a specific event,” said Fei Liu, an air quality researcher at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center. Liu recalls seeing a drop in NO2 over several countries during the economic recession that began in 2008, but the decrease was gradual. Scientists also observed a significant reduction around Beijing during the 2008 Olympics, but the effect was mostly localized around that city, and pollution levels rose again once the Olympics ended.

china_trop_2020056.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris A said:

I'm reading that there's apparently a run on baker's yeast that's occurring now (implying a lot of homemade bread is being made now),

Has been from the start. Morgan's been making homemade bread for several years now and we've all but burned through the stock we had on hand already. She's starting to just make her own at this point - not really difficult, but just takes longer and is less convenient. Fortunately we picked up about 20lbs of Einkorn flour back in December, but that will likely run out soon too.

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

The maps on this page show concentrations of nitrogen dioxide, a noxious gas emitted by motor vehicles, power plants, and industrial facilities.

Note the the NO2 levels are 3x higher for China air pollution maps than the preceding France maps (160 --> 500 micromole per square meter).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Fortunately we picked up about 20lbs of Einkorn flour back in December, but that will likely run out soon too.

That wouldn't have lasted long at our house. My late wife and I bought wheat in 5 gallon buckets, four or five at a time, and we ground it as we needed it. The kid did the grinding (hand cranked), and she baked bread a couple days a week. We got it through the co-op that we belonged to at the time.

Some people are still taking time to upgrade their loudspeakers to some of the best sound quality models available from Klipsch, looking at recent posts here on the forum.

Some are taking the time to dial-in their systems using DSP.  Private communications and PMs here with folks from the forum are up lately. Apparently there is a bit more time presently for such endeavors.

Chris

• Like 1