Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

Just now, BigStewMan said:

So, a few years down the road, is COVID-19 going to be just like the flu -- something that rears its ugly head every year? 

We still do not know all about covid19. They are seeing new presentations in kids that are disturbing. They’ve studied people who’ve recovered from covid19 and found continuing deficits which point to long term or permanent damages to various organs. The acuity phase of covid19 is perplexing with some having zero symptoms while others quickly deteriorate and expire. The mortality rate is far worse than any recent influenza. We’re unsure about immunity for survivors. We have reports of recurring infections. Any immunity imparted may not last. If we get a vaccine it may require booster injections as often as every 2 years.

”Down the road” for covid19 is really vague for now. The only maxim we’re certain about is one already understood. The healthier you are the better your chances with any disease. So the best medicine for those who can is to get fit and stop poor health habits. Y’know go for that natural high.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

We still do not know all about covid19. They are seeing new presentations in kids that are disturbing. They’ve studied people who’ve recovered from covid19 and found continuing deficits which point to long term or permanent damages to various organs. The acuity phase of covid19 is perplexing with some having zero symptoms while others quickly deteriorate and expire. The mortality rate is far worse than any recent influenza. We’re unsure about immunity for survivors. We have reports of recurring infections. Any immunity imparted may not last. If we get a vaccine it may require booster injections as often as every 2 years.

”Down the road” for covid19 is really vague for now. The only maxim we’re certain about is one already understood. The healthier you are the better your chances with any disease. So the best medicine for those who can is to get fit and stop poor health habits. Y’know go for that natural high.

Yep. Mr. Natural was a friend to many - 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

We’re unsure about immunity for survivors. We have reports of recurring infections. Any immunity imparted may not last. If we get a vaccine it may require booster injections as often as every 2 years.

Take me to school ... is the annual flu shot considered a booster?   as far as not having lasting immunity are you saying it could be something like the common cold?

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

So the best medicine for those who can is to get fit and stop poor health habits.

True, but it's no fun, and not easy it seems since I have never been able to pull it off in 62 years. I might just drop dead one day but I had fun. 

7 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Take me to school ... is the annual flu shot considered a booster?   as far as not having lasting immunity are you saying it could be something like the common cold?

From what I understand there are variations of flu every season. The shots are “designed” for what the epidemiologists believe to be the strain for the season. Sometimes they guess right, sometime not. I believe the one I got this year was for four or five different strains of the flu. Beyond that - ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dtel said:

True, but it's no fun, and not easy it seems since I have never been able to pull it off in 62 years. I might just drop dead one day but I had fun. 

I asked my uncle once why he didn't wear seat belts. He said, "I may get into an accident and the seatbelt could save my life and then I'd encounter all kinds of things in life that I'm not really interested in."

I'm at peace for whenever I go. hopefully it will be in my sleep like my grandpa and not like the screaming passengers that were riding in the car with him. 

When it gets near, I just hope that I go peacefully and not fighting to live every last minute. I don't believe this life is all there is, so I'm actually okay when my number is called. 

Was talking to friend once about healthy eating and such, I told him when I die, I'm going to Heaven so it's not a concern for me. He said, "you're presupposing that the first heart attack kills you."  

when I was younger I didn't think much about growing old, so now that I'm here, I don't know what to think of it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, richieb said:

From what I understand there are variations of flu every season. The shots are “designed” for what the epidemiologists believe to be the strain for the season. Sometimes they guess right, sometime not. I believe the one I got this year was for four or five different strains of the flu. Beyond that - ?

so you think we'd go in annually for a covid shot?

9 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

The annual flu shot is not a booster but one formulated for the predicted mutated strain of influenza virus anticipated for that season. Coronaviruses like covid19 already serve humankind with a type of common cold. We get it....... it is a cold....... not too severe and we survive and we develop an immunity to that virus. But it wears off after a year or so. So we can get infected with the same virus, and get the same cold time after time. They’re not sure if covid19 will be like this or not. But they will figure it out.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

... which doesn't surprise me.  

I don't know what "special" powers exist by virtue of this virus as I have seen no reporting or discussion that "special" powers even exist. 

Here's a couple more, one by employer one by two software phone giants for "public health officials. Both from NPR; the links didn't copy with my daily update email (sorry in advance)

Holy Handmaid’s Tale! Could companies be spying on their employees who’re working from home? And could these companies be mandating that employees install software on their computers and laptops? This is so dystopian-novel-set-in-the-near-future! Anyway, there’s this software called Time Doctor that downloads videos of employees' screens while they work and can even enable a computer's webcam to take a picture every 10 minutes. "If you're idle for a few minutes, if you go to the bathroom or whatever, a pop-up will come up and it'll say, 'You have 60 seconds to start working again or we're going to pause your time,' " said one woman whose employer uses that software. So, if you’re reading this newsletter on office time, you should maybe, um. Yeah. 

Moving on from Margaret Atwood to George Orwell, who would have had a field day with the news of governments wanting to use mobile phones to track down people with COVID-19. Contact tracing using smartphone apps has the whiff of Big Brother about it, say mobile phone users who are concerned over how much information public health officials need to collect. Apple and Google have set aside their longtime rivalry to develop technology that will work across 3 billion iPhones and Androids around the world. But there is a catch: The tech giants say governments that use their technology cannot track users' locations. That would be an invasion of privacy. 
  • Like 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

The annual flu shot is not a booster but one formulated for the predicted mutated strain of influenza virus anticipated for that season. Coronaviruses like covid19 already serve humankind with a type of common cold. We get it....... it is a cold....... not too severe and we survive and we develop an immunity to that virus. But it wears off after a year or so. So we can get infected with the same virus, and get the same cold time after time. They’re not sure if covid19 will be like this or not. But they will figure it out.

And guess where the predictions came from?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

Just like tetanus. booster every 10 years. Depending on where you travel, you need boosters for chicken pox, rubella and yellow fever. You need the boosters to have a faster immunological response time if you are exposed. After long periods of time your immune system sort of "forgets" the antibodies it developed when you were first vaccinated and if you were exposed it could take longer for your body to react. So when you travel to areas with known outbreaks it is typically  you get certain boosters to rebuild that memory.

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

i'm guessing not from this ...

Unknown.jpeg

Bat lady in China. US Epidemiologists  took her data, and data from other known areas of zonotic virus/flu strains, classified them into 3 levels, and try to knock out the worst of the worst.

• Confused 1

On 5/13/2020 at 6:33 PM, NADman said:

I think mcD specified  'I don't give a sh*t, Cheap!'

Lead as an additive to paint was abandoned years ago in this country probably in many others as well.

Apparently not in China. 

In the past lead was added to make the paint glossy. IE more appealing.

Not to make it cheaper. 

Did the Chineese manufactures think those toys were going to be played with by adults or children? 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

That's right.  There is a presumption that if we move production back to the US, the quality will improve.  I don't think so.  I think the quality will match precisely with the consumers' demand - i.e., cheap, cheap, cheap!

Consumer viable pricing will dictate quality.

6 hours ago, dwilawyer said:
6 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

And guess where the predictions came from?

And why they have been off for the past several years (or at least minimally effective against the actual strains)?

6 hours ago, dtel said:

It's called Pay to Play.  No fun when other things happen to you even through you semi tried to take care of yourself.  That's where the play came in. 

Cancer, heart attacks, and other things still occur no matter how much you try though maybe you have reduced the likelihood.

Bottom line sh*t happens.

10 hours ago, billybob said:
10 hours ago, RANDYH said:

,  they are ahead of everybody in electric vehicles , I was in Liaoning Province a year ago , the rain was black -when it rains , you dont drive -

Guess they will be in the age of coal for awhile longer...

Doesn't matter.  They gut the earth to make products that are supposed to be eco friendly.  The environment takes a lot to get rare earths and everything needed to make solar panels and such.  If you regulated it, there would be no more because it would cost too much.  That's why it is in China though we better figure out how to dispose of it in the US.

• Like 1

• dtel locked this topic