Fretless Bass...I don't get it

Coytee

What's the big deal of a fretless bass?

(perhaps it's nothing and I misread comments)

Had a local pal who died.  (10 years ago).  I bought his stereo stuff and other odds/ends.  One of it was a fretless bass.  He played an upright bass professionally.

If a bass is a bass is a bass.....  then who cares if it's fretted of fretless....?  What's the big deal?  Why would someone care knowing the difference?

Disclosure, I don't play any strings, never have so I'm 100% ignorant of these things.

Most bowed instruments ARE I NEED fretless.

The modern electric fretless bass is magical... Tony Levin, Mick Karn and many others.

Fretless allows you to blends tones... and effectively turns a modern (western) scale instrument into an instrument that can be played microtonally where a fixed fretted instrument would need to be changed out for the new musical tuning.

• Thanks 1

A precision is a very good fretted instrument. No argument there.

frets and fretless is like comparing analog to digital. There are fixed points and little in between. Yeah, you can bend a note on frets, but.

they are two different instruments covering the same range.

How would you compare playing slide guitar to a "regular" guitar?

On 5/7/2020 at 2:59 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

I recall people saying fretless sounds better.

Hmmmm...........

NOPE

On 5/7/2020 at 3:05 PM, Coytee said:

So, the frets change the sound?

hmmmm....

Hmmmmmmmm....................

YEP!!

On 5/7/2020 at 3:54 PM, Coytee said:

Well, that was an interesting read!

So I presume it might be fair to say that a good bass player might not be quite as skilled as a good fretless player??  

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..........................

NOPE

On 5/7/2020 at 7:05 PM, Schu said:

Most bowed instruments ARE I NEED fretless.

The modern electric fretless bass is magical... Tony Levin, Mick Karn and many others.

Fretless allows you to blends tones... and effectively turns a modern (western) scale instrument into an instrument that can be played microtonally where a fixed fretted instrument would need to be changed out for the new musical tuning.

Hmmmmmmmmm..............

Well, Yes. And not necessarily 

And, yes 

But that can be done in other ways on a fretted bass (or other instrument)

On 5/10/2020 at 7:20 AM, Marvel said:

Leo Fender created the "PRECISON" bass, named that because of the frets, so there could, indeed be an in pitch bass.

Hmmmmmmmmm..................

Sort of.

Leo Fender came up with the idea for the Fender "Precision" Bass so that guitarists could more easily play the instrument (like the guitar they were already used to). And of course, that in turn would allow Fender to sell more instruments (and even more amplifiers) (and strings).

That's it 😉

I was at a pro jam session at Harlem Avenue Lounge. A guy I know and don't particularly like was playing "lead" guitar/singing. After a couple songs he turns to me and says "You wanna sing a couple?". I said "No". He says "What's the matter? Can't you sing and play bass at the same time?". I held my bass out forward towards him and said "Here, be my guest." He stands there looking at it and then finally says "You got me there."

LMAO. The local radio DJ running the jam (who I also personally know) gets up afterwards and says "Let's hear it for Art on bass. Folks, this is one of the most difficult instruments to play." I had brought my fretless Fender Jazz Bass Special to the jam.

Honestly, it's not all that difficult. Just different. Practice makes perfect.