Will my Corner Horns ever need to have the woofers re-foamed?

Sorry for my ignorance but if I disconnect both leads can I just put the positive probe on one and negative probe on the other to measure resistance?  For the caps do I just look for their markings and Google same to find new (non-metalized) or can I buy from Klipsch just telling them I have corner horns?  ...and just to confirm, are there 3 or maybe one of them isn't a cap such as the one that doesn't look like the other two?  I agree replacing seems smart given their age. If I'm lucky and have good woofs, mids and tweets this appears to be manageable although I wish I wouldn't have given away my soldering iron when I moved from my house to condo - I looked at it and said I'll never need this again!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coytee said:

Yeah but you should see his kneecaps.....  

:emotion-14:

And my lower back, right shoulder, both thumbs, missing teeth, cardio vascular impairment, vision impairment, and hearing over 10KHZ missing. There are also other private things.

JJK

16 minutes ago, russelldholm said:

but if I disconnect both leads can I just put the positive probe on one and negative probe on the other to measure resistance?

Yes as long as there is no more than one body part in contact with the probe leads .......not introducing your body's resistance in the measurement.

• Moderators
10 hours ago, billybob said:

If no leak, just a good thing for safeties same as understand there are chemical PCB's present in the fluid.

Th old type oil can style all have this on them no pcb

Not that it matters but this was a old AA crossover.

speakers b4 copy.jpg

• Like 1

Most of the parts in Klipsch Heritage Series speakers, like your Klipschorns, seem to last almost forever, with the exception of the capacitors.  After 15-20 years, they develop something called series resistance,, which can not be tested for with a typical multimeter.  Lack of leakage does not mean that they're fine, just that they're not messy.

When I bought my 32-year-old La Scalas, I thought they sounded okay, but I'd heard so much about aging capacitors that I contacted Bob Crites and got a set of Sonicaps from him.  They come with little plastic mounting saddles and zip-ties to keep the caps in place in the saddles.  The new capacitors are much smaller than the old tin can types, leaving your crossover board looking much tidier.  As well, the sound was immediately clearer.  It was money well spent, and it wasn't that much money.

A few days later, I installed a pair of Bob's CT125 tweeters, since my Scalas' stock K-77s did not match each other for output, one being 2-3 dB louder than the other.  The CT125s were within 0.5 dB of each other, which improves the stereo imaging.  The sound was much clearer, and I was pretty happy about that.  I made sure to do one update first, and listen to the speakers for a few days, before doing the second update/upgrade, so I would know which did what for the sound.  Both improvements were quite worthwhile.

That was in 2006.  Bob now has CT120 tweeters, which are said to be even better than the old CT125 models.  Someone here should have a link to his site.

Welcome to the Forum, and happy listening!

BTW, "corner horns" is a generic term, indicating only that the speakers are some kind of horn type that sound better in corners, with no indication of the brand.  Klipschorns are the flagship speakers from Klipsch, in continuous production since 1948.  They ain't just any old corner horns.

Almost forgot:  when going over old speakers, it's a good idea to loosen and re-tighten the screws on any connections in the crossovers and the speaker connections, since corrosion can build up and make for intermittent contact.  Also, the screws could have loosened a bit over time.

Enjoy your Klipschorns!

And your woofers?  They have doped-paper surrounds.  In this case the "dope" is a sticky black substance that keeps the corrugated paper surrounds from ever drying out.  The same substance was used in the early cloth-and-wood airplanes to keep the wind from blowing right through the wings, which is bad for lift.

• Like 1

I would change them back to type A crossovers and replace all the caps. They should be sealed into corners with pipe foam or float tubes. You could also do an upgrade Bob Crites has in kit form of changing the cross over point to take the load off the mid driver. It requires a different tweeter though. If on hardwood or smooth floor get some furniture grippers for them. The washer on mid horn is probably hard and cracked Bob has those.  I just used O-Rings in mine I liked the way they didn't block the horn path. Bobs replacement tweeter is much better I think. Thats the easiest mods you can do with out getting to much into it . There are a lot more but pretty involved. 

Rick has his reasons and opinion, but I can't agree.  The Type AA tweeter filter cuts a 105-106 dB hump in the K-77's response and is steep enough to protect a K-77-M in home use without the diodes.  To my ears, the difference is important. 

post-43-0-09240000-1469647383_thumb.jpg839020613_4-t35sresp.jpg.4e1a1e1a65d39e9a5f372bf033ffe5ea.jpg

15 minutes ago, JohnA said:

Rick has his reasons and opinion, but I can't agree.  The Type AA tweeter filter cuts a 105-106 dB hump in the K-77's response and is steep enough to protect a K-77-M in home use without the diodes.  To my ears, the difference is important. 

Does a  type A sound really different,than an AA   , is it more pronounced in the highs and mids   ------some people really like the Type A -------and  I always wondered why , or what is the perceived sound difference between an AA and the A   ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New Caps for the crossovers:

https://critesspeakers.com/crossover_repair_kits.html

REBUILD KIT FOR THE KLIPSCH TYPE AA CROSSOVERS:  $110.00

This is I believe the cheapest easiest way to refresh those crossovers. Bob's instructions led you all the way through. As long as you can solder! You can do it.

There are of course other more expensive and esoteric ways to go.

9 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

1946, I only mention it because next year will be 75 years.

Yes, the Klipschorns were invented in 1946, but wasn’t 1948 the first year that they went into production?  I had the impression that PWK contracted out the first few KHorns to be built by the Baldwin Piano Company.  I wonder if they were available in Piano Black?

In any case, I’m happy to be corrected wherever I got the early history of Klipsch wrong.