Problem with Dayton caps?

CECAA850

2 minutes ago, Lbk said:

Finally pull 1 xover from a chorus II. In Bob's kit the 68uf is electrolytic, the former ownet replace it with a Dayton audio 68uf. (Huge compared to the elec.). I like the bass and was wondering if the Dayton 68 uf would affect the testing if replace just the 1 6uf and the 2 2uf and keep the Dayton 68uf in the woofer section.

Since the highs are in question l am thinking it should be ok.? Opinions, let me know so I can exchange the xover caps. Thanks!

Since the 68uf cap is not in the signal path, as long as it measures well, it's fine

7 minutes ago, Deang said:

A good cap for sure, but the values are limited. 

You'd think with as many caps as Solen whips out for themselves and other companies, they'd produce the full complement. They are no doubt capable of making caps better than most and cheaper than most.

8 minutes ago, MechEngVic said:

Since the 68uf cap is not in the signal path, as long as it measures well, it's fine

Ok thanks! I have no way to measure but speakers sound fine so tomorrow I will change out the 6uf and 2 2uf.

Just now, Lbk said:

Ok thanks! I have no way to measure but speakers sound fine so tomorrow I will change out the 6uf and 2 2uf.

Klipsch uses electrolytics in less critical positions and they calculate the higher ESR of those caps into the overall impedence of the circuit. The dayton will have a lower ESR initially but the circuit will be fine even after that cap drifts.

5 minutes ago, MechEngVic said:

Klipsch uses electrolytics in less critical positions and they calculate the higher ESR of those caps into the overall impedence of the circuit. The dayton will have a lower ESR initially but the circuit will be fine even after that cap drifts.

Do you think there is any advantage in the Dayton over the electroytic? I am happy with the bass and would hate to screw it up. Alot of this is over my head but I am learning,thanks.

1 hour ago, Lbk said:

Do you think there is any advantage in the Dayton over the electroytic? I am happy with the bass and would hate to screw it up. Alot of this is over my head but I am learning,thanks.

There is an advantage, it's a newer capacitor. An electrolytic is used only for cost savings. It would be hard to hear a difference between the two caps in this position if they were new. Focus on the caps in the signal path. Stick to film and foil or paper in oil caps for best sound.

1 hour ago, MechEngVic said:

There is an advantage, it's a newer capacitor. An electrolytic is used only for cost savings. It would be hard to hear a difference between the two caps in this position if they were new. Focus on the caps in the signal path. Stick to film and foil or paper in oil caps for best sound.

Actually they are about the same age, the Dayton being only slightly.older. It should be fun to hear if any difference, will find out tomorrow. 

9 minutes ago, Lbk said:

Actually they are about the same age, the Dayton being only slightly.older. It should be fun to hear if any difference, will find out tomorrow. 

Re-read your comment, I see you weren't talking about the original electrolytic, but the Crites one. Let us know how it turns out!

5 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

you need to work on your solder blobs (or is the technical term glob??) rookie

The bigger the blob the better the job.  There's a lot of electrons running through those blobs.  You don't want a traffic jamb or your music will slow down.  Don't you know anything about electrical theory?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The bigger the blob the better the job.  There's a lot of electrons running through those blobs.  You don't want a traffic jamb or your music will slow down.  Don't you know anything about electrical theory?

I know enough to not use a white zip tie on an inductor!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, MookieStl said:

I know enough to not use a white zip tie on an inductor!!

Hard to argue that however the factory put that there so don't blame me.  Thanks for reminding me though, I need to order an audiophile set of zip ties to complete the build.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, babadono said:

yes color is natural, gives a more neutral sound. But don't expose to too much sunlight, the high freqs will start to roll-off.

ok, last one.....

My mistake, natural is acceptable, white would have added color. One of my mentors back in '54, Dr. Moe Howard, recommended red if use outside the cabinet as the UV degradation would eventually turn it pink which is still acceptable.

• Like 1