Then Speak On

babadono

39 minutes ago, babadono said:

I know some of you guys  swear by speak-on connectors for your speakers. @DizRotus , @Pete H . I will be obtaining my first speaker with a speak on connector, male I think 4 pole. So I need a female 4 pole, right? Any preferences, solder or not, etc......

If your speaker only has one + and one - get a 2 wire connector.  I tin the wires as well.

43 minutes ago, babadono said:

I know some of you guys  swear by speak-on connectors for your speakers. @DizRotus , @Pete H . I will be obtaining my first speaker with a speak on connector, male I think 4 pole. So I need a female 4 pole, right? Any preferences, solder or not, etc......

Pick up something from the pro line Eric? 

• Like 1

I mean the connector itself, some are solder termination and some screw which closes a clamping mechanism.

The speaker data says it has a 2 x NL4MP, but I don't know how they're wired. Whether they use all 4 poles or what. But if I get 4 pole females I can always use just 2 if the speaker only uses 2 right?

• Like 1

Be aware that you can get them as a straight connector.....or as 90 degree connectors.  I didn't know that when I began and got straight....which pushed them further from the wall than I wanted.  Found out that they had the 90's so I replaced them.  Wasn't a huge difference but it helped.

• Like 1

Neutrek Speakon fan here.  I like being the only one on my block with a part that is a product of Liechtenstein.  I suggest you spend the extra buck or two and get the genuine Neutrek brand.  They are better quality than the cheapies.  I have had both.

There is something you should know about the Neutrek connectors.

They don't use a Phillips head screwdriver.  They use a Pozidriv screw driver.  Either the PZ0 or PZ1, I'll check my notes.  Harbor Freight has those as part of set, but it's cheap.  You can also find the Pozidriv drivers as part of a screwdriver with all the bits in the bottom.  That might be your best bet to find one.

IMG_0596.JPG

IMG_0606.JPG

Pozidriv Harbor Freight.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Pete H said:

@CECAA850 has used them as well.  Great connector and typically, I would tin the ends of the wires, but other than that, and a magnifying glass to read the 1's 2's +'s and -'s, you're all set.  

This sums it up.  The round ones are easier to mount in  speakers than the square ones.  Avoid knock-offs; get genuine Neutrik SpeakOn from Liechtenstein.

84DA398C-D510-4BBE-8C96-81AA399B4896.jpeg.91383f2332040f844c199d69301bb5eb.jpeg

58EEEF64-5AEA-404A-8A28-21EB282C9C1A.jpeg

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Coytee said:

Be aware that you can get them as a straight connector.....or as 90 degree connectors.  I didn't know that when I began and got straight....which pushed them further from the wall than I wanted.  Found out that they had the 90's so I replaced them.  Wasn't a huge difference but it helped.

E17E26F5-12B0-42F2-AC9D-2D842737F8EA.thumb.jpeg.b29e2861fdc35f780ec5fc028e1489e5.jpeg

On 12/16/2020 at 12:59 PM, wvu80 said:

Neutrek Speakon fan here.  I like being the only one on my block with a part that is a product of Liechtenstein.  I suggest you spend the extra buck or two and get the genuine Neutrek brand.  They are better quality than the cheapies.  I have had both.

There is something you should know about the Neutrek connectors.

They don't use a Phillips head screwdriver.  They use a Pozidriv screw driver.  Either the PZ0 or PZ1, I'll check my notes.  Harbor Freight has those as part of set, but it's cheap.  You can also find the Pozidriv drivers as part of a screwdriver with all the bits in the bottom.  That might be your best bet to find one.

IMG_0596.JPG

IMG_0606.JPG

Pozidriv Harbor Freight.JPG

Thanks for the pictures including the HF item #. Did a search for pozidriv on their website and came up with nothing. But with your info OF COURSE they come up:)

• Like 1

On 12/23/2020 at 2:32 PM, babadono said:

Why? Aren't they both round on the back?

Because the smaller square ones will fit in spaces where the larger round ones won’t.  I have used the square ones on small amps.  If they’ll fit, the round ones are better, as in easier to install.

• 3 weeks later...