Altec 19 vs La Scala

5ow

6 hours ago, Idontknow said:

Interesting thread. I was just asking these same questions. From what I've gathered, they say the 19's  

the Altec Model 19 cant be compared to a Lascala -Khorn or even a Cornwall , it was basically a large 70's studio monitor with veneer and grilles  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, OO1 said:
6 hours ago, Idontknow said:

Interesting thread. I was just asking these same questions. From what I've gathered, they say the 19's  

the Altec Model 19 cant be compared to a Lascala -Khorn or even a Cornwall , it was basically a large 70's studio monitor with veneer and grilles  

A fine example of the condescending remark telling others what they can or can't do.  Your statement about the Altec 19 diminishes your credibility. Do you remember what someone said to you about getting more bees with honey in the LaScala resonance thread? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

I've heard others discussing these two before. May I ask what the issue is you have with the 19's? AnaDialog gives them a pretty rave review. I'll most likely just end up with LaScala's anyway but the 19's sure seem attractive, performance wise. 

I think it would be constructive to get the ups and downs of each speaker based on ones listening experiences. I'm sure they are both very nice in their own ways. It's hard to get constructive feedback due to the fanboy crowds. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Smoke the Altec. ??

Yes, smoked completely with the required government warning labels posted on the cabinets.

1 hour ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Not hardly if one is looking for detail I have both

Are they set up in the same room using the same source? 

9 minutes ago, Idontknow said:

I think it would be constructive to get the ups and downs of each speaker based on ones listening experiences. I'm sure they are both very nice in their own ways. It's hard to get constructive feedback due to the fanboy crowds. 

I have been reading about people ABing them for a while. So far, it's still another King Kong vs Godzilla show.

With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound
He pulls the spitting high tension wires down

Helpless people on a subway train
Scream bug-eyed as he looks in on them

He picks up a bus and he throws it back down
As he wades through the buildings toward the center of town

Godzilla-vs.-Kong-WP-1024x587.thumb.jpg.0b6ebdf027aa80dbf7c9febdaf9c048e.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OO1 said:

Ya, everybody knows that a 1960's PA speaker would trounce a 1970's studio monitor.  🤫

1963: The La Scala is designed as a portable version of the Klipschorn to be used as a P.A. system for Winthrop Rockefeller's Arkansas gubernatorial campaign.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Model 19 wasn't a studio monitor, but a prettied up version of the Voice of the Theater 1216A. They both came with the 416 woofer and 811B horn. The Model 19 used an upgraded driver.

What is it that is special about the Model 19?  I had some 511 horns and didn't think they were all that great.  Can't remember the driver, but I know it wasn't OEM and maybe that had something to do with it.  I like the idea of the foam around the horn, maybe even deaden the horn.  I am curious as to how well those woofers are, even those 811s and the appropriate driver.  Definitely a speaker to try as I am now intrigued. 

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

The Model 19 wasn't a studio monitor, but a prettied up version of the Voice of the Theater 1216A. They both came with the 416 woofer and 811B horn. The Model 19 used an upgraded driver.

It was really an attempt at sarcasm to Double 0 One, I do believe the 604s were used in many recording studios...

"The 604 series was considered the de facto monitor for most North American and European recording studios throughout the ‘50s, '60s into the ‘70s,

including Abbey Road/EMI, Apple Records, American Sound Studio in Memphis and A&R in New York to name but a few."

My best friend from college picked up a pair of Model 19s used in the early 1980's and they are still in his main system to this day.

They are the speaker that showed me what a hi efficiency speaker, and horns in particular, could do.

I believe the 19 is a great speaker and would be appreciated by most horn lovers.

I have LSs and Peavey Jubs, Heresy 3s, and HIPs... so you know I like my Klipsch.

But if I had a spot for a pair of those Altecs... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

HIFI Engine lists the Model 19 as a Studio Monitor  

It wasn't officially, it was marketed as a 'home' speaker. I believe the old guys at the lansingheritage site over HIFI Engine.

Are you done muddying the waters yet? They were a great speaker, a coworker of mine had a pair or them in the mid '70s. I still remember them.

• Like 1