My first La Scalas

pcbiz

To me Paul McGowan speaks lots of words in his videos, but says little and very basic which some I disagree with.

In this video he says, “Have I done experiments to see if it really makes a difference, no I haven’t...” and “Maybe it doesn’t make a difference, but it offends me...” So this is not a good video to state your claims.

7 minutes ago, soundbound said:

To me Paul McGowan speaks lots of words in his videos, but says little and very basic which some I disagree with.

In this video he says, “Have I done experiments to see if it really makes a difference, no I haven’t...” and “Maybe it doesn’t make a difference, but it offends me...” So this is not a good video to state your claims.

It really does come down to experimenting with different wiring on your own. So far, I'm the only one in this discussion group that has done that. 

1 minute ago, pcbiz said:

It really does come down to experimenting with different wiring on your own. So far, I'm the only one in this discussion group that has done that. 

You’re wrong. I’ve done it and most likely others have too, but I didn’t get the results you claim.

And Crankysoldermeister is a qualified audio person who has enough experience to know what he post.

Just now, billybob said:

Well, what it comes down to is what you believe.

I'd take experience over belief. It's a Guitar Center thing. Wimpy cables sound ok, until you plug in the lower gauge wire. Higher quality thick cables are more inspiring to play through. As soon as this covid thing is over, I'll be back to live instruments. Real drums, bass, guitars, etc., are always present in my imagination. I know when something sounds wimpy, and I do my best to avoid it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, soundbound said:

You’re wrong. I’ve done it and most likely others have too, but I didn’t get the results you claim.

And Crankysoldermeister is a qualified audio person who has enough experience to know what he post.

We all have different sound setups and experience. I'm very new to this tube amp/Klipsch speaker thing. My experiments have been pretty simple, but very revealing. 

• Like 2

I appreciate your enthusiasm and you posting your results. A lot of us have done what you have. I know you got differences and improvements of what you’ve done, but I posts about your heightened wires and connectors claims, because this is a forum to discuss and sometimes disagreeing can be part of that, so you need to be ready to affirm and debate your claims and accept others opinions and findings that may not coincide with yours. It’s good you’re upgrading, enjoying doing them, and hearing improvements. It’s all good. Keep on keeping on.

• Like 3

I was just reading some stuff I said about wire 20 years ago. I'm deleting it as fast as I can.

When you spend $1300 on silver cables, let me know. Those were used. Retail was like $3K.

Never did the power cord thing. I regained by sanity before that got popular.

• Haha 1

Unless the wire is 8g and 54.5" long all superior sonic ability is lost. Quote from famous audio engineer and designer Jeffrey Medwin who has extensive research done on this very topic..

They say wire in the upper midwest. They say whyuhh in New Jersey and they say waarr in the south. Which sounds better?  ;D

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, pcbiz said:

We all have different sound setups and experience. I'm very new to this tube amp/Klipsch speaker thing. My experiments have been pretty simple, but very revealing. 

In the end are you happy with what you hear and had fun getting there? That is the important thing. We will all pile on with our opinions and comments though because wire and capacitors demand we do so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Um, I believe the Fulton length espoused by Jeffrey Medwin was 57.125", that last 1/8" inch can be tricky to measure though.

Jeffrey did provide a reliable resource for bulk wire:  https://www.apexjr.com/wire.html

My experiments with wire were fun.  Replacing the 10 feet of wire inside a speaker cabinet will yield as much difference as replacing a similar length outside the cabinet.

Currently my wire flavor of choice is overpriced 16 ga tinned copper stranded with oiled cotton insulation, it sounds alright to me.

I believe in these parts, "ware" is the preferred pronunciation of wire.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soundbound said:

I appreciate your enthusiasm and you posting your results. A lot of us have done what you have. I know you got differences and improvements of what you’ve done, but I posts about your heightened wires and connectors claims, because this is a forum to discuss and sometimes disagreeing can be part of that, so you need to be ready to affirm and debate your claims and accept others opinions and findings that may not coincide with yours. It’s good you’re upgrading, enjoying doing them, and hearing improvements. It’s all good. Keep on keeping on.

A few years ago I was speaking with a couple of Grammy award winning record producers. When I told them I wanted to start a studio featuring a tube console, they looked at me like I had two heads. "Why would you want to do that?" one of them said. I forgot my response, but it's because I like that sound. I later spoke with another hardware/software engineer at the same event, and we talked about tube consoles and sonic signatures. He was amazed that I could distinguish his father's tube console sound from the '60s on modern records. His response was "If you can hear that, you've got really good ears". 

I don't mind being the sonic oddball; it's just that it's normally done in person.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pcbiz said:

… and we talked about tube consoles and sonic signatures. He was amazed that I could distinguish his father's tube console sound from the '60s on modern records.

That’s a lot different than very short runs of 16 gauge vs 10 gauge wire. 

I asked @captainbeefheart last week if hearing a thing that isn’t there makes it real. Our brains are pretty whacked and placebo is like voodoo. 

4 hours ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

I tell people not to change the wire unless they have to. The stock wire is tin coated annealed copper. It protects the copper from corrosion. Unless the jacket is damaged, it's hard to do better.

You can get tin-plated copper wire from at least one source.  I got tin-plated copper speaker wire from knukonceptz, and there's no corrosion after 15 years.

• Like 1