Steely Dan remastered... Cd or vinyl record?

MeloManiac

I have Aja on CD, and wish to expand my collection with more Steely Dan... 

I've read great reviews of the remastered albums like Gaucho, and I like it a lot. I just doubt whether to buy the CD or the vinyl record. Anyone can help me? 

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2022/09/16/remastered-steely-dan-catalog-starts-november-4/

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/remaster-class-steely-dan-gaucho

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

I have Aja on CD, and wish to expand my collection with more Steely Dan... 

I've read great reviews of the remastered albums like Gaucho, and I like it a lot. I just doubt whether to buy the CD or the vinyl record. Anyone can help me? 

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2022/09/16/remastered-steely-dan-catalog-starts-november-4/

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/remaster-class-steely-dan-gaucho

How is your CD vs Vinyl?  If CD is as good, get the CDs, they are cheaper, more convenient and can be burned to FLAC for a server.  Citizen Steely Dan is a good compilation, but it is expensive now so just get all of their CDs or albums. 

With Steely Dan, get all of their main albums.  All are great.  I missed out years ago on a Japanese vinyl set of everything for $300, but that was a lot back then. 

• Like 3

I have both Gaucho and Aja on vinyl, not remastered.  I like vinyl.  But, admit that CD burned to FLAC on my music server feeds my random, can't stay on one track problem!

I suppose it depends on whether you want to convenience of digital or the relaxed, sit back with bevie experience of vinyl?

3 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

I have both Gaucho and Aja on vinyl, not remastered.  I like vinyl.  But, admit that CD burned to FLAC on my music server feeds my random, can't stay on one track problem!

I suppose it depends on whether you want to convenience of digital or the relaxed, sit back with bevie experience of vinyl?

Steely Dan CDs will run you about $10 to $15 each, get them and then the vinyl later if you like. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dirtmudd said:

I highly recommend THE ROYAL SCAM!

you´re right Mike 😊 checked that out , has completely passed me by , but in no way can I recommend the album " countdown to ecstasy " from 1973 , really weak

I'll agree with tigerhorn- Citizen is a good compilation. It's out of stock at Amazon but listed for $37 and change.  It's well done.

I have Aja (remastered and excellent) and Pretzel Logic (used and crackly) on vinyl. Gaucho on CD.

Saw them play Gaucho just before the plague got loose. They were doing an album a night+ They were great of course but sadly without Walter.

There's a lot of info out there on all of the different pressings. 

IMG_9831_copy.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, veloceleste said:

Steely Dan has always been a favorite of mine. I had all of them on vinyl back in the day and then each album on cd. I still have the Citizen box set and have one complaint about it; you lose the continuity of the albums because some of the albums are split between discs which I feel changes the mood and feeling each album presents individually. I know it’s a small thing to complain about. My favorites in order are :

Pretzel Logic

Katy Lied

Gaucho

Aja

The Royal Scam

Can’t Buy a Thrill

Countdown to Ecstasy 

I didn’t like Two Against Nature and never heard the last album.  Of course The Nightfly doesn’t count but is one of my all time favorite albums.

The continuity problem can play with the OCD for sure. Made me hate the first Zeppelin set. Since I had only own Aja and some greatest collection it didn’t bother me. When I finally started getting all the vinyl it was like a surprise! As for Nightfly it’s been in regular rotation for years. Love it. Our pizza delivery driver asked what it was too….

• Like 1