INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATED. BLOWN WOOFER AND KLIPSCH CS IS LITTLE HELP!

Fast1

I've owned nothing but Klipsch for 30 years!  Never in that time have I blown a speaker! I run a pair of RP-600M in an RV and had them jamming with the doors open while I was working.  It was about 100F outside but good gear should handle this!  I was feeding them quality watts from a premium class D receiver.  

I pulled the bad woofer and the odor was obvious.  So I pulled the other one and it doesn't look much better!  The motor wires are dark!  Actually on the one that blew, I swear that speaker never did sound quite right and the windings don't look right to me.  

In any case, I have a trip coming up SOON and I NEED these!  I called Klipsch CS only to get put on ignore for 45min!!!!!  Then when the guy answers the phone, he just goes through his canned responses and tells me to find a receipt and file a warranty.  I want to know if I can get quality drivers that will not die!  I just need to get fixed up!  

But if anyone with inside info can help me, the PN I show on the woofer is "1061138".  If that is the PN?  There are other numbers but......  I am looking at some other replacements from a guy but need to confirm things like impedance, power handling, etc.  Really, in all ways, I need to know what PNs will work for me!  Because if I can't find my email receipt, it sounds like I am hosed with Klipsch.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fast1 said:

I called Klipsch CS only to get put on ignore for 45min!!!!!  Then when the guy answers the phone, he just goes through his canned responses and tells me to find a receipt and file a warranty.  

pretty amazing , you fried the woofers of your speakers  ,    yet    klipsch is willing to allow you to file a warranty claim for a parts replacement , but guess what ?    you cant find the receipt and you're pissed ,    am I missing something here ?    

16 minutes ago, OO1 said:

pretty amazing , you fried the woofers of your speakers  ,    yet    klipsch is willing to allow you to file a warranty claim for a parts replacement , but guess what ?    you cant find the receipt and you're pissed ,    am I missing something here ?    

I never even got a receipt for my Klipsch speakers.....bastards 😄

• Haha 1

I appreciate the snide comments.  Welcome back is right!  I am not chasing warranty!  I was advised to go that route.  Hell, I will buy the drivers if needed.  What I am more frustrated with is that they died in the first place!  I don't have a habit of killing speakers.  They were being driven to about 75%.  The woofers don't have a vented motor and I am trying to figure out if I will need to go a different route that can handle the environment.  My other Klipsch gear has been pushed way harder, but not in the heat.  

I was trying to inquire with Klipsch about a "superior replacement" if there even is one.  

So you opened up the door expecting  loud music outside? I’ve heard other people blow speakers the same way. Obviously you  were overdriving your speakers . You can blow any speaker if overdriven long  enough . No big deal now you now it’s limitations, replace the woofer .

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Fast1 said:

... What I am more frustrated with is that they died in the first place!  I don't have a habit of killing speakers.  They were being driven to about 75%.  The woofers don't have a vented motor and I am trying to figure out if I will need to go a different route that can handle the environment.  My other Klipsch gear has been pushed way harder, but not in the heat.  

I was trying to inquire with Klipsch about a "superior replacement" if there even is one.  

You're not going to get warranty service as fast as you need your speakers, regardless of  manufacturer.

You're better off buying a pair for your trip. Maybe a used pair of Brand X on craigslist etal.

Then you need to reassess your RV system. You probably should be thinking in terms of a car audio system, with weatherproof outdoor speakers mounted outisde the RV, or easily movable.

Also, the problem could be you were playing the speakers with too much low frequency information beyond their capabilities. If you want to stick with

your setup, it might be worth fusing your speakers or installing a high pass filter which will protect them from such mayhem in the future.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fast1 said:

klipsch only have 1 woofer for the RP 600 part # 1061138 ,    as a remark     , the issue may not be the speakers , but rather the amplifier 's distortion which damaged  the drivers  ,   lower the volume   , these are tiny speakers , they aint meant to be pushed hard 

• Like 2

I agree with some of the other comments. Perhaps for the future, a more car audio oriented or permanent/70v distributed audio like in ceilings spread around your RV for good coverage may be the way to go in the future.

Personally, I prefer powered monitors for smaller speakers which benefit from built in protections and made for purpose amplification. The little JBL powered monitors, the 300 series would be a nice replacement if you want to try something else.

I would also take a look at your receiver. It's distortion may be higher than ideal and perhaps it was never an ideal pairing for the 600 in the first place.

A lot of the receiver makers now a days cheap out massively on the amp sections now. Especially as they have more royalties to pay out the more codecs and formats they have to support so in order to turn a profit they cut costs more. And all of it, like the 600s are made overseas in China, Vietnam, Malaysia etc. It's not the same as the Klipsch made in Hope. It's just not. But at least Klipsch still makes stuff here. A lot of JBL's higher end stuff is made in Mexico and China.

Not gonna get anything ultra high quality in the more budget price point, but I can understand the frustration especially when you perceived to not driving them as hard as you thought you were. Clearly enough to blow them though. Small speakers are much more limited and easier to blow up regardless.  Powered speakers might be a good alternative. Klipsch even has a few offerings and for outdoor maybe pick up one of their table top bluetooth speakers or even something like the new gig speakers if you want some decent volume for background while working outside. And use the 600s just for inside listening.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Thanks.  I do have a lab test on the same receiver I run, which was a $2500 piece, running 7 discrete class D amps.  The bench test shows .02% THD at 130W, 2 ch driven at 8 ohms.  It even handled a 4ohm load out to about 230W.  

But I do agree I might need to make a change to something with more ability.  However, I cannot ignore the fact that the woofer that died, at least to me, never sounded right.  It almost sounded like a loss of cone control, though the other one was just fine.  And when I look at the motor winding, The wires are not wrapped uniformly around the pole.  There are gaps.  Now that could have happened at failure, but putting the two together, I am wondering.....

I agree with another poster that I might have asked for too much low frequency content even though I was crossed at 80hz.  I am installing a high powered sub within the next week so I will probably patch these speakers up and run at lesser levels for now.  Usually if I try to get too much higher frequency content from a sub, the sound is not as seamless as if I allow the mains to run a bit lower and just let the sub work the 80hz and down.  If course figuring in Xover roll off.  

The reason I went with the bookshelves over ceiling speakers is to get better mid frequency and flatter response.  I will be honest, they sound VERY good, though the mid range is still lacking compared to what I like to hear.  I usually target a snare drum  and kick drum sound to determine what my ears want to hear.  I find those sounds difficult for small speakers to manage.  

• Like 2

On 7/6/2023 at 2:52 PM, Deang said:

On 7/6/2023 at 8:38 AM, Fast1 said:

I pulled the bad woofer and the odor was obvious.  So I pulled the other one and it doesn't look much better!  The motor wires are dark!  Actually on the one that blew, I swear that speaker never did sound quite right and the windings don't look right to me.  

In any case, I have a trip coming up SOON and I NEED these! But if anyone with inside info can help me, the PN I show on the woofer is "1061138".  

Looks like these woofers are available for a reasonable price buy a new pair and save the one working woofer as a back up probably the quickest and cheapest way to get you back going. Full volume on a 100 degree day obviously not a good idea the speakers are relatively small and light weight add some speaker wire and move them closer to you good luck man!

20 hours ago, Fast1 said:

I agree with another poster that I might have asked for too much low frequency content even though I was crossed at 80hz. 

Bookshelf speakers aren't usually crossed over at 80Hz, regardless of their low end rating. I still believe you over-drove the speakers, but the low crossover point you set was a contributing factor. 80Hz is usually reserved for "full range" speakers, at least when setting up a home theater.

OP:  If you plan to use your music system outdoors in a public campground, I respectfully advise against disturbing the peace with high output speakers.   As another member suggested, perhaps a better choice in a campground would be a small table-top Bluetooth speaker placed near you, so that you’re not disturbing your campground neighbors who wish to enjoy peace and quiet.

OTOH, if no one else is within miles, then “let her rip”.   However, you’ll need the right speaker for the job.

I have no experience with “jamming” outdoors, so my question is this:  Are you asking an inexpensive consumer bookshelf speaker to do the job of a commercial-grade speaker?  Would you be better served by employing Klipsch Pro speakers for your use case?

Perhaps someone who is knowledgeable about commercial speakers can suggest a suitable product.   Would the KI-396-SMA-II be more suitable for the OP’s use case vs. an RP-600M?  Other suggestions?

P.S.   Assuming that you won’t be disturbing your neighbors, perhaps a Bluetooth “party speaker” might meet your needs?    
https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=Bluetooth+party+speaker

I have no experience with (or interest in) “party speakers”.   With that said, if no neighbors are near, what about this?   https://www.amazon.com/JBL-PartyBox-Premium-Wireless-Bluetooth/dp/B07TJXHG14/ref=psdc_689637011_t2_B07VHTF419?th=1

A friend of mine has some Mackies and they certainly get it on!  Pro audio gear!  I am just trying to build an indoor system here though.  I was simply working outside on the RV so I had the doors open doing my thing.  

When the system is used, it's primarily for after party events at concerts where audio is well accepted.  I don't go jamming out quiet, peaceful campgrounds.  

The reason for the bookshelves was to get closer to audiophile audio rather than just making noise.  I think I achieved that goal as I've been in several that run many hundreds of watts through 6.5" high power ceiling speakers, and though they are loud, there is no depth or sound stage.  Honestly just a gamble running ceiling speakers so I went the bookshelf route.  

The sub going in, I custom built everything to provide accurate sound.  I could wire it to low ohms and capable of 2800W RMS, but I want to try to stay at 4 ohms and still be 1000W so I will work to move more content to that sub that can handle it and let the bookshelves relax more.  Generally when I tune a system, I try to get good balanced sound from the mains before even introducing a sub, then tune the sub to fill the bottom.  Will just have to see how this goes.  

As for Klipsch, I will have to eat my hat because they have bent over backwards to help me, including expediting my parts so I can meet my timeline.  Thank you Klipsch!  

The reality is those bookshelves shocked the hell out of me!  I am usually fighting those Klipsch horns to keep the shrill out,, but these are so smooth that I start pushing that volume up!  And that is in a listening area that is hardly an acoustic masterpiece.  

• Like 3