Heresy II crossover updates

1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I didn't know how they came about. 
The Forte had a 4 and 8 Ohm offering too. 

From what I've seen and understand when these models were first released they had round input cups with 4ohm stamped on them and then at some point they switched to the rectangular cups with the 8ohm stamp. From the thread you posted and available crossover schematics it would appear only the rating changed, not the crossovers or speakers. Klipsch must have settled on the 8 ohm rating to attract / not scare off potential buyers with the lower, easier to drive load rating? 

53 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Hmmm, I thought the round cup was on the Heresy 1.5, when they got all the parts switched out. No more k55, etc.

I have a pair of H1.5 that I converted/perverted to Super Heresy. They have the plastic K701 squawker with flange flange-mounted K53 driver.

Last week, I found some Heresy "1" in STL that I wanted. @MookieStl bought them for me on Friday. When Mookie got home, he found that they had the K53 squawker, meaning they are H1.5, not 1s... grr. I wanted the H1 so I could use the threaded K55. Mookie, the generous man that he is, said that he has some K700 which would let me use the threaded K55. I drove there on Saturday to pick them up.

I am, finally, getting to the real muddy part:
The H1.5s that Mooking picked up have the K700, AND they have a threaded-to-flat adapter for the K53.

1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I have a pair of H1.5 that I converted/perverted to Super Heresy. I am, finally, getting to the real muddy part: The H1.5s that Mooking picked up have the K700, AND they have a threaded-to-flat adapter for the K53.

I was always under the impression that what you describe here was the 1.5- basically an H-1 with the k-53 driver. Once Klipsch went with the front mount, non removable back style cabinet they were considered H-II's. I don't think I've seen a rear mounted, plastic k-701 horn but my memory isn't the greatest any more. 

This is crazy, never realized so many iterations of H1.5.

Mine are same as H1 save K53, K52 plastic midrange horn.  The cabinet is all plywood with the floating thinner 5/8" plywood back.  The crossover is E-2 internal on a board.

The K53, K52 plastic midrange horn is rear mounted.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I was always under the impression that what you describe here was the 1.5- basically an H-1 with the k-53 driver. Once Klipsch went with the front mount, non removable back style cabinet they were considered H-II's.

Yes to this. I have had the HII and that is all correct. I remembered that Bruce had the square cups and I had the round terminal cups, which we thought was strange. A few weeks ago, I found out that the round cups were the 4 Ohm.

56 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I don't think I've seen a rear mounted, plastic k-701 horn but my memory isn't the greatest any more. 

I have some H 1.5(?) that have the plastic K701 with K53 drivers that are mounted inside. The horns have the crescent cut for the woofer, just like for the HII.  I just now bought some H 1.5(?) that had the cast metal K700 horn with the K53 driver. I had it out for the swap, and then Mookie pointed out the threaded-to-flat adapter. His H1 had the K700 with the K55 and my H1.5 had the K700 with the K53 driver. 

I'm not sure why this is, maybe Klipsch was trying to use the in-stock parts, which was smart. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I have a pair of H1.5 that I converted/perverted to Super Heresy. They have the plastic K701 squawker with flange flange-mounted K53 driver.

Last week, I found some Heresy "1" in STL that I wanted. @MookieStl bought them for me on Friday. When Mookie got home, he found that they had the K53 squawker, meaning they are H1.5, not 1s... grr. I wanted the H1 so I could use the threaded K55. Mookie, the generous man that he is, said that he has some K700 which would let me use the threaded K55. I drove there on Saturday to pick them up.

I am, finally, getting to the real muddy part:
The H1.5s that Mooking picked up have the K700, AND they have a threaded-to-flat adapter for the K53.

Don't forget these had the K77 tweeter too. The other H1.5 you had the K76. I have Heresy' from 1982 (x) and they were true H1 (until we swapped parts) but these were from 1983 (y) and the other set you picked up a few weeks back were from 1984. Working their way through the inventory or waiting on the new parts to arrive. Either way, all good fun.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

Don't forget these had the K77 tweeter too. The other H1.5 you had the K76. I have Heresy' from 1982 (x) and they were true H1 (until we swapped parts) but these were from 1983 (y) and the other set you picked up a few weeks back were from 1984. Working their way through the inventory or waiting on the new parts to arrive. Either way, all good fun.

All Heresy 1 and 1.5 have rear mounted drivers and removable backs.

The K76 is a front mounted driver and did not appear until the Heresy II

45 minutes ago, winglet said:

Yeah, I went by what W&T had told me. He had already swapped them out when I was looking at them. He'll have to confirm what tweeter was in those. I also noted one set had K53 mid (1985 model) mounted to the K701 and the ones from 1984 that had the adapter to the K700 were actually K52H. I'll tap out now and let Bruce have his thread back. sorry

On 3/1/2024 at 6:37 PM, Marvel said:

Also noticed that a least the front and back panels are plywood, not mdf as I thought they were.

20240229_203211~3.jpg

I might have been tempted to keep them if I had known they were plywood.

I kid.

I always thought they sounded pretty great and looked much better than my college party special H1’s.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, MookieStl said:
1 hour ago, winglet said:

Yeah, I went by what W&T had told me. He had already swapped them out when I was looking at them. He'll have to confirm what tweeter was in those. I also noted one set had K53 mid (1985 model) mounted to the K701 and the ones from 1984 that had the adapter to the K700 were actually K52H. 

That info mistake is all my fault. I had the KP250, H1.5 and H2 all apart and was mixed up on the tweeters. Sorry.

So... thanks to Dean for the caps for my Heresy IIs. I've been listening to some my favorite CDs and vinyl over the past few days since getting them back together. Not a drastic change, but a little more transparency/clarity. They sound great, no complaints at all. To the point, they still sound like my beloved Klipsch.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2024 at 5:17 AM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I only recently found out that the HII was 'offered' (they must have had spare parts lol) in 4 and 8 Ohm, round cup and square cup, respectively. 

I'm glad I found this thread... I just bought a pair of HII's but I just assumed they were 8 ohm (I know, rookie mistake) and it turns out they are 4 ohm... time to change where I have them connected to my tube amp....

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, S391 said:

I'm glad I found this thread... I just bought a pair of HII's but I just assumed they were 8 ohm (I know, rookie mistake) and it turns out they are 4 ohm... time to change where I have them connected to my tube amp....

With tube amplifiers always try both.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, S391 said:

You can make easy payments for the information. You can send cash or post pictures of your speakers and amps and we can call it even.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

You can make easy payments for the information. You can send cash or post pictures of your speakers and amps and we can call it even.

It's a work in progress. I have tilted risers from Crites on the way so please excuse the books.

spacer.png